|Centuries:||11th century - 12th century - 13th century|
|Decades:|| 1140s 1150s 1160s - 1170s - 1180s 1190s 1200s
|Years:||1176 1177 1178 - 1179 - 1180 1181 1182|
|1179 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1179 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar||1179 |
|Ab urbe condita||1932|
|Armenian calendar||628 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-665 – -664|
|Coptic calendar||895 – 896|
|Ethiopian calendar||1171 – 1172|
|Hebrew calendar||4939 – 4940|
|- Vikram Samvat||1234 – 1235|
|- Shaka Samvat||1101 – 1102|
|- Kali Yuga||4280 – 4281|
|Iranian calendar||557 – 558|
|Islamic calendar||574 – 575|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1839|
|Thai solar calendar||1722|
- June 19 — The Norwegian Battle of Kalvskinnet outside Nidaros. Earl Erling Skakke is killed, and the battle changes the tide of the civil wars.
- Third Council of the Lateran condemned Waldensians and Cathars as heretics, institutes a reformation of clerical life, and creates the first "ghettos" for Jews.
- Afonso I is recognized as the true King of Portugal by Pope Alexander III, bringing Portugal the protection of the Catholic Church against the Castilian monarchy.
- Philip II is crowned King of France.
- Aberdeen is chartered by William the Lion.
- Westminster School founded by the monks of Westminster Abbey (by papal command).
- Drigung Kagyu school of Kagyu Buddhism founded.
- John of Ibelin (approximate date; d. 1236)
- Mikhail of Kiev (approximate date; d. 1246)
- Hermann von Salza, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights (approximate date; d. 1239)
- Shimazu Tadahisa, warlord of the Shimazu clan of Japan (d. 1227)
- William IV Talvas, Count of Ponthieu (d. 1221)
- Yaqut al-Hamawi, Arab geographer (d. 1229)
- September 17 — Hildegard of Bingen, German abbess, mystic writer, and composer (b. 1098)
- Taira no Shigemori, Japanese rebel (b. 1138)
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1179. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1179 at Familypedia
7 people were born in 1179
11 children were born to the 4 women born in 1179
9 people died in 1179
974 people lived in 1179
Events of the year 1179 at Familypedia
5 people were married in 1179.
|Ferdinand II, King of León (1137-1188)||Urraca of Portugal (1151-1188)+Teresa Fernández de Traba (-1180)+Urraca López de Haro (c1160-c1230)|
|Prebrana Mikhailovna of Vladimir (c1170-c1230)||Vladimir Svyatoslavich of Novgorod (c1158-1200)|
|Vladimir Svyatoslavich of Novgorod (c1158-1200)||Prebrana Mikhailovna of Vladimir (c1170-c1230)|
|Béatrice d'Albon (c1161-1228)||Albéric Taillefer de Toulouse (c1157-1183)+Hugues III de Bourgogne (1148-1192)+Hugues I de Coligny (c1170-1205)|
|Roux de Castellane (1157-1216)||Orabis Unknown (1160-?)|
There were 0 military battles in 1179.