1219 1219 1220 - 1221 - 1222 1223 1224
1190s 1200s 1210s - 1220s - 1230s 1240s 1250s
12th century - 13th century - 14th century
|1221 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
|Art and literature|
|1221 in poetry|
|Gregorian calendar||1221 |
|Ab urbe condita||1974|
|Armenian calendar||670 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-623 – -622|
|Coptic calendar||937 – 938|
|Ethiopian calendar||1213 – 1214|
|Hebrew calendar||4981 – 4982|
|- Vikram Samvat||1276 – 1277|
|- Shaka Samvat||1143 – 1144|
|- Kali Yuga||4322 – 4323|
|Iranian calendar||599 – 600|
|Islamic calendar||617 – 618|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 1881|
|Thai solar calendar||1764|
- May 13 - End of the reign of Emperor Juntoku, emperor of Japan
- Emperor Chūkyō briefly reigns over Japan
- Former Emperor Go-Toba leads an unsuccessful rebellion against the Kamakura Shogunate
- Emperor Go-Horikawa ascends to the throne of Japan
- January - Mongol Army under Jochi captures the city of Gurganj (now Kunya-Urgench), and massacres the inhabitants, reported by contemporary scholars as being over a million killed, although probably only a fifth or a tenth of that in reality.
- February - Merv sacked by the Mongols under Tolui at the orders of Genghis Khan. Contemporary scholars report over a million people were systematically killed in the aftermath.
- Revolt against rulers of Chichen Itza by Maya of the Yucatán
- Nizhny Novgorod City (Russia) was founded.
- A large and highly efficient Mongol army, despatched under Subutai by Genghis Khan to Georgia defeats two Georgian armies around Tbilisi, but lacks the will or equipment to besiege the city.
- Genghis Khan enters the Indus Valley.
- October 9 - Salimbene di Adam, Italian chronicler
- November 23 - King Alfonso X of Castile (died 1284)
- Bonaventure, Italian theologian and saint (died 1274)
- Boleslaus the Pious, Duke of Greater Poland (died 1279)
- August 6 - Saint Dominic, Spanish founder of the Dominicans (born 1170)
- October 4 - William III Talvas, Count of Ponthieu (born 1179)
- October 21 - Alix of Thouars, Duchess of Brittany (born 1201)
- Roger Bigod
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1221. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1221 at Familypedia
15 people were born in 1221
21 children were born to the 6 women born in 1221
22 people died in 1221
1000 people lived in 1221
Events of the year 1221 at Familypedia
19 people were married in 1221.
There were 0 military battles in 1221.