|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1490s 1500s 1510s - 1520s - 1530s 1540s 1550s
|Years:||1517 1518 1519 - 1520 - 1521 1522 1523|
|1520 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1520
January - June
- January 18 - King Christian II of Denmark and Norway defeats the Swedes at Lake Asunde.
- June - Moctezuma II, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan is declared deposed due to his captivity by conquistador Hernán Cortés. His brother Cuitláhuac rises to the throne.
- June 7 - King Henry VIII of England and King Francis I of France meet at the famous Field of Cloth of Gold.
July - December
- July 1 - The forces of Cuitláhuac, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan, gain a major victory against the forces conquistador Hernán Cortés. This La Noche Triste (Night of Sorrow), results in the death of about 400 conquistadors and some 2,000 of their Native American allies. However, Cortés and the most skilled of his men manage to escape and later regroup.
- September 22 - Suleiman I succeeds his father Selim I as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
- October - Cuitláhuac, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan, dies from smallpox. He is succeeded by his nephew Cuauhtémoc.
- November 8 - Stockholm Bloodbath begins: A successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces under the command of Christian II of Denmark results in the execution of around 100 persons (mostly nobility and clergy involved in the previous Swedish war effort).
- November 28 - After navigating through the South American strait, three ships under the command of Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan reach the Pacific Ocean, becoming the first Europeans to sail from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific (the strait was later named the Strait of Magellan).
- December 10 - Martin Luther burns a copy of The Book of Canon Law (see Canon Law) and his copy of the Papal bull Exsurge Domine.
|Gregorian calendar||1520 |
|Ab urbe condita||2273|
|Armenian calendar||969 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-324 – -323|
|Coptic calendar||1236 – 1237|
|Ethiopian calendar||1512 – 1513|
|Hebrew calendar||5280 – 5281|
|- Vikram Samvat||1575 – 1576|
|- Shaka Samvat||1442 – 1443|
|- Kali Yuga||4621 – 4622|
|Iranian calendar||898 – 899|
|Islamic calendar||926 – 927|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2180|
|Thai solar calendar||2063|
- March 3 - Matthias Flacius, Croatian Protestant reformer (d. 1575)
- August 1 - King Sigismund II Augustus of Poland (died 1572)
- August 10 - Madeleine de Valois, queen of James V of Scotland (died 1537)
- September 13 - William Cecil, English statesman (died 1598)
- October 5 - Alessandro Cardinal Farnese, Italian cardinal (d. 1589)
- date unknown
- Seosan, Korean monk
- Jean Ribault, French navigator (died 1565)
- Vincenzo Galilei, Italian music theorist, lutenist, and composer (died 1591)
- Aben Humeya, last independent king of Granada (died 1568)
- Ijuin Tadaaki, Japanese nobleman (died 1561)
- Jacques Cujas, French legal expert (died 1590)
- Leonard Digges, mathematician and surveyor (died 1559)
- Johannes Acronius Frisius, German doctor and mathematician (died 1564)
- See also 1520 births.
- February 5 - Sten Sture the younger, Viceroy of Sweden (born 1493)
- April 6 - Raphael, Italian painter and architect (born 1483)
- June 24 - Hosokawa Sumimoto, Japanese samurai commander (born 1489)
- September 22 - Selim I, Ottoman Sultan (born 1465)
- October - Cuitláhuac, Aztec ruler of Tenochtitlan
- date unknown
- See also 1520 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1520. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1520 at Familypedia
43 people were born in 1520
22 children were born to the 15 women born in 1520
25 people died in 1520
979 people lived in 1520
Events of the year 1520 at Familypedia
15 people were married in 1520.
There were 0 military battles in 1520.