|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1530s 1540s 1550s - 1560s - 1570s 1580s 1590s
|Years:||1565 1566 1567 - 1568 - 1569 1570 1571|
|1568 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1568
- Russo-Ottoman War in Astrakhan
- March 23 - Peace of Longjumeau ends the Second War of Religion in France. Again Catherine de' Medici and Charles IX make substantial concessions to the Huguenots.
- May 2 - Mary Queen of Scots escapes from Loch Leven Castle.
- May 13 - Battle of Langside: the forces of Mary Queen of Scots are defeated by a confederacy of Scottish Protestants under James Stewart, her half-brother.
- May 16 - Mary Queen of Scots flees to England.
- May 19 - Queen Elizabeth I of England arrests Mary Queen of Scots.
- May 23 - Battle of Heiligerlee - Troops under Louis of Nassau, brother of William I of Orange, defeat a smaller loyalist force under the Duke of Arenberg in an attempt to invade the Northern Netherlands.
- July 21 - Battle of Jemmingen - The main Spanish army of the Duke of Alva utterly defeats Louis of Nassau's invading army in the Northeastern Netherlands.
- August 18 - Beginning of the Third War of Religion in France after an unsuccessful attempt by the Royalists to capture Condé and Coligny, the Huguenot leaders.
- September 29 - The Swedish king Eric XIV is dethroned and succeeded by his half-brother John III.
- October 5 - William of Orange invades the Southeastern Netherlands.
- October 20 - Battle of Jodoigne. Spanish forces under the Duke of Alva destroy Orange's rearguard. Orange abandons his offensive.
- The Azuchi-Momoyama period begins in Japan.
- The Eighty Years' War begins.
- Peace of Adrianople: The Ottomans agree to pay tribute to the Habsburgs.
- Akbar the Great of the Mughal Empire besieges and captures the massive Chittorgarh Fort in northern India.
|Gregorian calendar||1568 |
|Ab urbe condita||2321|
|Armenian calendar||1017 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-276 – -275|
|Coptic calendar||1284 – 1285|
|Ethiopian calendar||1560 – 1561|
|Hebrew calendar||5328 – 5329|
|- Vikram Samvat||1623 – 1624|
|- Shaka Samvat||1490 – 1491|
|- Kali Yuga||4669 – 4670|
|Iranian calendar||946 – 947|
|Islamic calendar||975 – 976|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2228|
|Thai solar calendar||2111|
- February 11 - Honoré d'Urfé, French writer (d. 1625)
- March 9 - Aloysius Gonzaga, Italian Jesuit and saint (died 1591)
- April - Pope Urban VIII (died 1644)
- September 3 - Adriano Banchieri, Italian composer (died 1634)
- September 5 - Tommaso Campanella, Italian theologian and poet (d. 1639)
- date unknown
- Nikolaus Ager, French botanist (died 1634)
- John Welsh of Ayr, Scottish Presbyterian leader
- Barnabe Barnes, English poet (died 1609)
- Teodosio II (died 1630)
- Luisa Carvajal y Mendoza, Spanish religious leader (died 1614)
- Edward Chichester (died 1648)
- Marino Ghetaldi, Ragusan scientist (died 1626)
- Nakagawa Hidemasa, Japanese military leader (died 1592)
- Fernando de Alva Cortés Ixtlilxochitl, Mexican historian (d. 1648)
- Gervase Markham, English poet and writer (died 1637)
- Edward Somerset (died 1628)
- Henry Wotton, English author and diplomat (died 1639)
- Wei Zhongxian, Grand Secretary of China (died 1627)
- See also 1568 births.
- January 15 - Catherine Carey, Chief Lady of the Bedchamber to Elizabeth I of England (born c1526)
- January 20 - Myles Coverdale, English Bible translator (born c1488)
- January 21 - Amato Lusitano, Portuguese physician (born 1511)
- January 26 - Lady Catherine Grey, Countess of Hertford (born 1539)
- March 20 - Duke Albert of Prussia (born 1490)
- May 23 - Jean de Ligne (born 1528)
- June 3 - Andrés de Urdaneta, Spanish Friar (born 1498)
- June 5
- July 7 - William Turner, British ornithologist and botanist (born 1508)
- July 24 - Don Carlos of Spain, son of Philip II of Spain (born 1545)
- August 23 - Thomas Wharton (born 1495)
- September 22 - Jöran Persson, Swedish politician (born c. 1530) (executed)
- October 3 - Elizabeth of Valois, Queen of Philip II of Spain (born 1545)
- October 14 - Jacques Arcadelt, Flemish composer (born 1504)
- October 28 - Ashikaga Yoshihide, Japanese shogun (born 1538)
- December 23 - Roger Ascham, tutor of Elizabeth I of England (born 1515)
- December 31 - Shimazu Tadayoshi, Japanese warlord (born 1493)
- date unknown
- Henry, Dutch reformer (born 1531)
- Henry Sutton Dudley, English soldier and sailor (born 1517)
- Gherman, archbishop of Kazan and later Metropolitan of Moscow
- Aben Humeya, last independent king of Granada (born 1520)
- Antoine Héroet, French poet
- Garcia de Orta, Portuguese Jewish physician (born 1501)
- Dirk Philips, early Anabaptist writer and theologian
- Yan Song, Chinese prime minister (born 1481)
- See also 1568 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1568. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1568 at Familypedia
36 people were born in 1568
34 children were born to the 14 women born in 1568
16 people died in 1568
1267 people lived in 1568
Events of the year 1568 at Familypedia
20 people were married in 1568.
There were 0 military battles in 1568.