|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
|Years:||1597 1598 1599 - 1600 - 1601 1602 1603|
|1600 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture – Art –|
|Literature – Music – Poetry – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Events of 1600
January - June
July - December
- July 2 - Battle of Nieuwpoort: Dutch forces under Maurice of Nassau defeat Spanish forces under Archduke Albert of Austria in a battle on the coastal dunes.
- July 10 - Tycho observes a solar eclipse from Benatký. Shortly afterwards, he moves to Prague.
- July - Astronomer Longomontanus arrives in Prague, where he works with the Moon orbital theory; he brings the rest of Tycho's astronomical instruments with him. (All arrive by November 10).
- October - Rudolf II, shows the first signs of his growing mental instability.
- October 6 - Jacopo Peri's Euridice, the earliest surviving Opera, is premiered in Florence.
- October 8 - San Marino gains its written constitution.
- October 21 - Battle of Sekigahara in Japan, in which Tokugawa Ieyasu defeated Ishida Mitsunari, setting the stage for the rule of the Tokugawa shogunate. End of the Azuchi-Momoyama period and beginning of the Edo period.
- December 14 - The Spanish galleon San Diego is sunk off the Philippines.
- December 31 - A Royal charter incorporates the British East India Company in London.
- Sumo wrestling becomes a professional sport in Japan.
- William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream is first performed and his play The Merchant of Venice is published.
- William Gilbert publishes De Magnete, which describes the Earth's magnetic field and is the beginning of modern Geomagnetism.
- Fabritio Caroso's Nobiltà de dame is published.
- Battle of Suceava: Prince Sigismund Bathory of Transylvania is defeated by the Voivode Michael the Brave of Wallachia, as part of the internecine conflict in Hungary and the Danubian Principalities. For the first time, Transylvania, Moldavia, and Wallachia became one country (the actual Romania). However, the union ends one year later when Michael the Brave is killed.
- Ulster chieftains, with the lead of Hugh O'Neill, resist the English reconquest of Ireland.
|Gregorian calendar||1600 |
|Ab urbe condita||2353|
|Armenian calendar||1049 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-244 – -243|
|Coptic calendar||1316 – 1317|
|Ethiopian calendar||1592 – 1593|
|Hebrew calendar||5360 – 5361|
|- Vikram Samvat||1655 – 1656|
|- Shaka Samvat||1522 – 1523|
|- Kali Yuga||4701 – 4702|
|Iranian calendar||978 – 979|
|Islamic calendar||1008 – 1009|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2260|
|Thai solar calendar||2143|
- January 1 - Friedrich Spanheim, Dutch theologian (d. 1649)
- January 17 - Pedro Calderón de la Barca, Spanish playwright (died 1681)
- January 28 - Pope Clement IX (died 1669)
- February - Edmund Calamy the Elder, English presbyterian (died 1666)
- February 2 - Gabriel Naudé, French librarian and scholar (died 1653)
- March 3 - George Ghica, Prince of Wallachia (died 1664)
- August 16 - Maria Celeste, nun, daughter of Galileo Galilei
- November John Ogilby, English writer and cartographer (died 1676)
- November 19
- date unknown
- Marin le Roy de Gomberville, French poet and novelist (died 1674)
- Sir Richard Grenville, English Royalist leader (died 1658)
- Peter Heylin, English ecclesiastical writer (died 1662)
- Antoine de Laloubère, French Jesuit mathematician (died 1664)
- Anna Alojza Ostrogska, Polish noblewoman (died 1654)
- William Prynne, English puritan politician (died 1669)
- Brian Walton, English divine and scholar (died 1661)
- See also 1600 births.
- February 13 - Gian Paolo Lomazzo, Italian painter (b. 1538)
- February 17 - Giordano Bruno, Italian philosopher (burned at the stake) (born 1548)
- April - Thomas Deloney, English writer (born 1543)
- July 17 - Hosokawa Gracia, Japanese noblewoman (born 1563)
- August 5 - John Ruthven, Scottish conspirator (born 1577)
- August 27 - Mizuno Tadashige, Japanese nobleman (born 1541)
- September 1 - Tadeáš Hájek, Czech physician and astronomer (born 1525)
- September 26 - Claude Le Jeune, French composer (born 1530)
- October 12 - Luis Molina, Spanish Jesuit (b. 1535)
- October 21 - Toda Katsushige, Japanese warlord (born 1557)
- November 3 - Richard Hooker, Anglican theologian (born 1554)
- November 6 - Ishida Mitsunari, Japanese feudal lord (decapitated) (born 1560)
- November 6 - Konishi Yukinaga, Japanese Christian warlord (born 1555)
- November 8 - Natsuka Masaie, Japanese warlord (born 1562)
- November 17 - Kuki Yoshitaka, Japanese naval commander (born 1542)
- date unknown
- See also 1600 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1600. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1600 at Familypedia
97 people were born in 1600
|Father||Mother||Age mother at birth|
|Neeltje IJsbrandts (c1600-aft1625)||IJsbrandt Dirksz||Aef Jans|
|Eleonore Marie von Anhalt-Bernburg (1600-1657)||Christian I. von Anhalt-Bernburg (1568-1630)||Anna zu Bentheim-Tecklenburg (1579-1624)|
|Francis Austen (1600-1688)||John Austen (c1560-1620)||Joan Berry (1565-1604)|
|John Barker (c1600-1652)||Robert Barker (c1575-)||Catherine Ackworth (c1575-)|
|Richard Barnes (1600-1635)||James Barnes (1570-1657)|
|Michael Barstow (1600-1674)||George Barstow (c1575-)|
|Samuel Bass (1600-1694)||Humphrey Bass (1565-1616)||Mary Buschier (1565-1616)|
|Abigail Batcheler (1600-1658)|
|Martha Blanchard (1598-1676)||Pierre Jean Blanchard (1555-1610)||Martha Baker (1570-1654)|
|James Blundell (c1600-)||Roger Blundell (c1560-aft1607)|
|Nicolaus Braaf (c1600-)|
|Sebastian Brecht (1600-1670)||Kuntz Conrad Brecht (1563-1612)||Catharine Of Neudorf (c1569-aft1605)|
|Rebecca Briggs (1600-1673)||Henry Briggs (1574-1625)||Mary Hinckes (1581-1597)|
|Tamisen Brike (1600-1682)|
|Mary Browne (c1600-)|
|... further results|
79 children were born to the 35 women born in 1600
33 people died in 1600
1891 people lived in 1600
Events of the year 1600 at Familypedia
37 people were married in 1600.
There were 0 military battles in 1600.