|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1570s 1580s 1590s - 1600s - 1610s 1620s 1630s
|Years:||1603 1604 1605 - 1606 - 1607 1608 1609|
|1606 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1606
January - June
- January 27 - Gunpowder Plot: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begins.
- January 31 - Guy Fawkes is executed for his plotting against Parliament and James I of England.
- April 12 - The Union Flag is adopted as the national flag of Great Britain.
- May 17 - Supporters of Vasili Shuisky invade the Kremlin and kill Premier Dmitri.
July - December
- Storm buries the village of St Ismail near modern-day Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Britain.
- The Treaty of Zsitva-Torok ends the Long War between the Habsburgs and the Ottomans in Hungary. The independence of Transylvania is recognized by both sides and Austria's annual tribute to the Ottoman Empire is abolished.
- First Union Flag created.
- The Jesuit Joannis Stribingius visits Latvia, describes Latvian mythology.
- Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon makes the first confirmed sighting of Australia by a European.
- The Evangelic Lyceum (Evanjelické lýceum) is founded in Bratislava.
|Gregorian calendar||1606 |
|Ab urbe condita||2359|
|Armenian calendar||1055 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-238 – -237|
|Coptic calendar||1322 – 1323|
|Ethiopian calendar||1598 – 1599|
|Hebrew calendar||5366 – 5367|
|- Vikram Samvat||1661 – 1662|
|- Shaka Samvat||1528 – 1529|
|- Kali Yuga||4707 – 4708|
|Iranian calendar||984 – 985|
|Islamic calendar||1014 – 1015|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2266|
|Thai solar calendar||2149|
- February 13 - John Winthrop, Governor of Connecticut (d. 1676)
- February 28 - William Davenant, English poet and playwright (d. 1668)
- March - Henry Pierrepont (d. 1680)
- March 3 - Edmund Waller, English poet (d. 1687)
- May 12 - Joachim von Sandrart, German art-historian and painter (d. 1688)
- May 23 - Juan Caramuel y Lobkowitz, Spanish writer (d. 1682)
- May 25 - Saint Charles Garnier, Jesuit missionary (d. 1649)
- June 6 - Pierre Corneille, French author (d. 1684)
- June 16 - Arthur Chichester, Irish soldier (d. 1675)
- June 19 - James Hamilton, Scottish statesman (d. 1649)
- July 15 - Rembrandt, Dutch painter (d. 1669)
- September 22 - Li Zicheng, Chinese rebel (d. 1645)
- September 27 - Richard Busby, English clergyman (d. 1695)
- November 12 - Jeanne Mance, French settler in Montreal (d. 1673)
- date unknown
- Leonard Calvert, governor of Baltimore (d. 1647)
- Edmund Castell, English orientalist (d. 1685)
- Giovanni Francesco Grimaldi, Italian architect and painter (d. 1680)
- Thomas Harrison, English puritan soldier and Fifth Monarchist (d. 1660)
- Thomas Herbert, English traveller and historian (d. 1682)
- John Robartes (d. 1685)
- Pierre du Ryer, French dramatist (d. 1658)
- Tokugawa Tadanaga, Japanese nobleman (d. 1633)
- Thomas Washbourne, English clergyman and poet (d. 1687)
See also 1606 births.
- January 30
- January 31
- March 16 - Gaspar de Zúñiga y Acevedo, Spanish colonial administrator and Viceroy of Mexico (b. 1540)
- March 23
- March 25 - François de Bar, French scholar (b. 1538)
- April 3 - Charles Blount, English politician (b. 1563)
- May 3 - Henry Garnet, English Jesuit (executed) (b. 1555)
- May 17 - False Dmitriy I, pretender to the Russian throne
- September 2 - Carel van Mander, Dutch painter and poet (b. 1548)
- October 5 - Philippe Desportes, French poet (b. 1546)
- November 13 - Geronimo Mercuriali, Italian philologist and physician (b. 1530)
- November 20 - (burial date) John Lyly, English writer (b. 1553)
- date unknown
See also 1606 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1606. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1606 at Familypedia
46 people were born in 1606
|Father||Mother||Age mother at birth|
|Susanna Archer (1606-1674)|
|Margaret Arderne (c1606-1644)||Henry Ardenerne (1603-1703)|
|Mary Atwood (1606-1681)||John Wood (1582-1644)||Joan Coleson (1587-1654)|
|Thomas Bartlett (c1606-1654)|
|Gregory Baxter (1606-1659)||John Baxter (c1580-)|
|Elizabeth Bigelow (1614-1647)|
|Fear Brewster (1606-1634)||William Brewster (1567-1644)||Mary Brewster (1569-1627)|
|Anna Brigham (1606-1675)||Thomas Brigham (1576-1632)||Isabel Watson (1561-1634)|
|Rebecca Brown (c1606-1654)|
|Obadiah Bruen (1606-1680)||John Bruen (1560-1626)||Anne Fox (c1565-c1614)|
|Hildegard Bäumle (1606-1669)|
|Marie Christine de Bourbon (1606-1663)||Henri IV de Bourbon (1553-1610)||Marie de' Medici (1575-1642)|
|Elizabeth Cecil (c1606-1661)||Edward Cecil, 1st Viscount Wimbledon (1571-1638)||Theodosia Noel (c1574-1615)|
|John Crow (c1606-1685)||John Crow (1561-1600)||Olive Bird (1564-1604)|
|William Dungan (1606-1636)||Thomas Dungan (1584-1626)||Elizabeth Weaver (1584-)|
|... further results|
39 children were born to the 23 women born in 1606
26 people died in 1606
2080 people lived in 1606
Events of the year 1606 at Familypedia
22 people were married in 1606.
There were 0 military battles in 1606.