|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1640s 1650s 1660s - 1670s - 1680s 1690s 1700s
|Years:||1670 1671 1672 - 1673 - 1674 1675 1676|
|1673 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Year 1673 (MDCLXXIII) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 10-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1673
January - June
- January 22 - Impostor Mary Carleton is hanged in Newgate prison in England for multiple thefts and returning from penal transportation.
- March 18 - John Berkeley sells his part of New Jersey to the Quakers.
- May 17 - In America, trader Louis Joliet and Jesuit missionary-explorer Jacques Marquette begin exploring the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes.
- June 7 - First Battle of Schooneveld: In a sea battle of the Third Anglo-Dutch War, fought off the Netherlands coast, the Dutch won with the fleet of the United Provinces (commanded by Michiel de Ruyter) against the allied Anglo-French fleet commanded by Prince Rupert of the Rhine.
- June 14 - Second Battle of Schooneveld: The Dutch fleet again defeats the Anglo-French fleet.
- June 17 - French explorers Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet reach the headwaters of the Mississippi River and descend to Arkansas.
July - December
- July 6 - French troops conquer Maastricht.
- July 11 - The Netherlands and Denmark sign a defense treaty.
- July 24 - Edmund Halley enters Queen's College at Oxford, as an undergraduate.
- August 8 - In the American colonies, a Dutch battle fleet of 23 ships demands the surrender of New York City.
- August 9 - Dutch forces under Admiral Cornelis Evertsen de Jonge recapture New York from English (regained by English in following year, 1674).
- August 21 - Sea battle at Kijkduin: The Dutch United fleet under Michiel de Ruyter defeats the English and French fleet.
- August 30 - Leopold I, Spain, Netherlands and Lutherans form an anti-French covenant.
- September 12 - Prince Willem III occupies Naarden.
- November 9 - King Charles II of England fires the earl of Shaftesbury.
- November 11 - Near Chocim (also spelled Khotin) in the Ukraine, Polish and Lithuanian military units under the command of soon-to-be-king Jan Sobieski defeat the Turkish army. In this battle, rockets of Kazimieras Simonavičius (Kazimierz Siemienowicz) were successfully used.
- November 13 - Dutch troops commanded by Prince Willem III and Raimundo earl Montecuccoli conquer Bonn.
- France begins its expedition against Ceylon.
- Christopher Wren is knighted.
- Jean-Baptiste Lully writes his first opera, Cadmus et Hermione.
- Chelsea Physic Garden, second oldest botanic garden in England, is founded by the Society of Apothecaries for the study of medicinal and other plants.
- Mitsui family's trading and banking house is founded in Japan.
- University of Innsbruck is founded.
- Stalactic grotto of Antiparos (Aegean Sea) is discovered.
- Archpriest Petrovich Avvakum writes his "Zhitie" (Life) as the first Russian autobiography.
|Gregorian calendar||1673 |
|Ab urbe condita||2426|
|Armenian calendar||1122 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-171 – -170|
|Coptic calendar||1389 – 1390|
|Ethiopian calendar||1665 – 1666|
|Hebrew calendar||5433 – 5434|
|- Vikram Samvat||1728 – 1729|
|- Shaka Samvat||1595 – 1596|
|- Kali Yuga||4774 – 4775|
|Iranian calendar||1051 – 1052|
|Islamic calendar||1083 – 1084|
— changed to —Enpō 1
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2333|
|Thai solar calendar||2216|
- April 27 - Claude Gillot, French artist (d. 1722)
- July 20 - John Dalrymple, Scottish soldier and diplomat (d. 1747)
- August 8 - John Ker, Scottish spy (d. 1726)
- August 11 - Richard Mead, English physician (d. 1754)
- October 26 - Dimitrie Cantemir, Moldavian linguist and scholar (d. 1723)
- December 30 - Ahmed III, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1736)
- Mir Wais Khan Hotaki, Persian Governor of Kandahar (d. 1715)
- See also 1673 births.
- February 17 - Molière, French writer and actor (born 1622)
- March 15 - Salvator Rosa, Italian painter and poet (born 1615)
- March 20 - Augustyn Kordecki, Polish prior (born 1603)
- June 18 - Jeanne Mance, French Canadian settler (born 1606)
- August 17 - Regnier de Graaf, Dutch physician and anatomist (born 1641)
- August 21 - Henry Grey, English soldier (born c.1599)
- October 13 - Kristoffer Gabel, Danish statesman (born 1617)
- October 17 - Thomas Clifford, English statesman (born 1630)
- November 10 - Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki (b. 1640)
- December 15 - Margaret Cavendish, English writer (born 1623)
- December 31 - Oliver St John, English statesman and judge (born c.1598)
- See also 1673 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1673. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1673 at Familypedia
95 people were born in 1673
59 children were born to the 46 women born in 1673
51 people died in 1673
4890 people lived in 1673
|Anna Hendriks (1663-bef1753)||Heinrich Jansz (?-?)||Engel Pieters (?-?)|
|Cornelis Robberts (1645-1708)||Jan Robberts|
|Anna Jans (1645-1705)||Jan|
|Dieuwer Claas (c1615-1679)||Claas|
|Dorothea Gerardi (c1670-1721)||Gerard|
|Eth Louwes (1657-1727)||Louw Dirksz (bef1657-)||Aeff Dircs (bef1657-)|
|Elisabeth Joannis (1645-)||Joannis|
|Geert Jans (c1650-1693)||Jan (bef1650-)|
|Neeltje Dircks (c1645-1714)||Dirck (bef1645-)|
|Simon Jacobsz (1672-aft1710)||Jacob (bef1672-)|
|Anna Egges (c1635-aft1677)||Egge Jans||Anna Jans|
|Benjamin Abbot (1661-1703)||George Abbot (1615-1681)||Hannah Chandler (1630-1711)|
|George Abbot (1615-1681)||George Abbot (1587-1647)||Elizabeth (c1595-1711)|
|John Abbot (1648-1721)||George Abbot (1615-1681)||Hannah Chandler (1630-1711)|
|Benjamin Abell (1650-1699)||Robert Abell (1605-1663)||Joanna Hyde (1610-1672)|
|... further results|
Events of the year 1673 at Familypedia
98 people were married in 1673.
|John Abbot (1648-1721)||Sarah Barker (1647-1729)|
|Experience Abell (1653-1705)||John Baldwin (1657-1739)|
|Ursula Adams (1619-1679)||Stephen Streeter (1600-1652) + Samuel Hosier (1614-1665) + William Robinson (1615-1668) + Griffin Craft (1600-1689)|
|John Baldwin (1657-1739)||Experience Abell (1653-1705)|
|William Barrett (1629-1689)||Sarah Poole (1636-1661) + Mary Barnard (1639-1673) + Mary Sparhawk (1652-1673) + Margaret Bartlett (c1640-)|
|Richard Bartlett (1648-1724)||Abigail Diamond (1648-1672) + Hanna Emery (1654-1705)|
|John Batchelder (1650-1684)||Mary Herrick (1654-1684)|
|Mary Beales (1624-1698)||George Jacobs (1609-1692) +John Wildes (1618-1705)|
|Ruth Blogget (1656-1695)||Thomas Kendall (1649-1730)|
|Dudley Bradstreet (1647-1706)||Ann Wood (1650-1707)|
|Sarah Brewster (1650-1743)||Jonathan Smith (1648-1718)|
|Mary Brown (1632-1702)||John Yates (1631-1651) + Richard Higgins (1603-1675)+ Isaac Whitehead (1624-1690)|
|Samuel Bullock (1648-1718)||Mary Thurber (1656-1674) + Thankful Rouse (1652-1693)|
|George Burroughs (1650-1692)||Hannah Fisher (1652-1681) + Sarah Ruck (1656-1689) + Mary Rogers (1668-)|
|Benjamin Chase (1639-1730)||Philippa Sherman (1652-1730)|
|... further results|
There were 0 military battles in 1673.