|Centuries:||16th century - 17th century - 18th century|
|Decades:|| 1660s 1670s 1680s - 1690s - 1700s 1710s 1720s
|Years:||1694 1695 1696 - 1697 - 1698 1699 1700|
|1697 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Works|
Events of 1697
January - June
- March - Peter the Great sets out to travel in Europe officially incognito as "artilleryman Pjotr Mikhailov"
- March - The Spanish conquest of the Yucatan is complete with the fall of the Itza kingdom.
- April 5 - Charles XII becomes king of Sweden upon the death of his father, Charles XI.
- May 7 - The royal castle "Tre Kronor" ("Three Crowns") in Stockholm burns to the ground. A large portion of the royal library is destroyed.
July - December
- September 11 - Battle of Zenta, Prince Eugene of Savoy crushed Ottoman army of Mustafa II
- September 20 - The Treaty of Ryswick
- December 2 - St Paul's Cathedral is opened in London.
- December 14 - Charles XII of Sweden is crowned king at the age of 15.
- Use of palanquins increases in Europe
- Christopher Polhem starts Sweden's first technical school.
- Tayasal, capital of the Itza Maya in the Petén Basin, the last independent Maya polity, is conquered by Spain
- The Manchu Empire conquers western Mongolia.
- The Royal African Company loses its monopoly on the slave trade
|Gregorian calendar||1697 |
|Ab urbe condita||2450|
|Armenian calendar||1146 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-147 – -146|
|Coptic calendar||1413 – 1414|
|Ethiopian calendar||1689 – 1690|
|Hebrew calendar||5457 – 5458|
|- Vikram Samvat||1752 – 1753|
|- Shaka Samvat||1619 – 1620|
|- Kali Yuga||4798 – 4799|
|Iranian calendar||1075 – 1076|
|Islamic calendar||1108 – 1109|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2357|
|Thai solar calendar||2240|
- January 30 - Johann Joachim Quantz, German flautist and composer (died 1773)
- March 9 - Friederike Caroline Neuber, actress (died 1760)
- August 6 - Charles VII (died. 1745)
- October 7 - Canaletto, Italian artist (died 1768)
- October 26 - John Peter Zenger, newspaper printer (died 1746)
- November 10 - William Hogarth, English artist (died 1764)
- See also 1697 births.
- January 8 - Thomas Aikenhead (hanged) (born c.1678)
- January 26 - Georg Mohr, Danish mathematician (born 1640)
- January 28 - John Fenwick, English conspirator (born c.1645)
- March 1 - Francesco Redi, Italian physician (born 1626)
- March 19 - Nicolaus Bruhns, German organist and composer (born 1665)
- March 26 - Godfrey McCulloch, Scottish politician and murderer (executed) (born 1640)
- March 27 - Simon Bradstreet, English colonial magistrate (born 1603)
- April 5 - King Charles XI of Sweden (stomach cancer) (born 1655)
- April 8 - Niels Juel, Danish admiral (born 1629)
- October 31 - William Moore, Captain William Kidd's gunner (hemorrhage in head caused by Captain Kidd hitting him with a bucket)
- November 22 - Libéral Bruant, French architect (born c.1635)
- See also 1697 deaths.
- ^ Cordingly, David (1995); Under The Black Flag : The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates, Harcourt Brace & Company.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1697. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|
People of the year 1697 at Familypedia
85 people were born in 1697
24 children were born to the 34 women born in 1697
59 people died in 1697
5340 people lived in 1697
|Anna Jans (1645-1705)||Jan|
|Anna Pieters (c1690-aft1718)||Pieter (bef1690-)|
|Anna Cornelis (c1675-1728)||Cornelis Robberts (1645-1708)||Perijntien|
|Anna Hendriks (1663-bef1753)||Heinrich Jansz (?-?)||Engel Pieters (?-?)|
|Cornelis Robberts (1645-1708)||Jan Robberts|
|Dieuwertje Ariens (c1680-1720)||Arien (bef1680-)|
|Divera Doedes (1681-aft1723)||Donatus Jacobus (1644-aft1700)||Grietje|
|Dorothea Gerardi (c1670-1721)||Gerard|
|Eth Louwes (1657-1727)||Louw Dirksz (bef1657-)||Aeff Dircs (bef1657-)|
|Maartje Cornelis (c1680-aft1717)||Cornelis|
|Marij Pieters (1674-1743)||Pieter Jansz (c1645-1700)||Geert Jans (c1650-1693)|
|Neeltje Dircks (c1645-1714)||Dirck (bef1645-)|
|Neeltje Claassen (c1780-1743)||Claas|
|Pieter Olfertsz (1693-1730)||Olfert|
|Simon Jacobsz (1672-aft1710)||Jacob (bef1672-)|
|... further results|
Events of the year 1697 at Familypedia
90 people were married in 1697.
|Neeltje Claassen (c1780-1743)||Pieter Reijers Commandeur (c1660-1717)|
|Teunis Aalberdink (1675-1736)||Jenneken Hunders (c1672-1738)|
|Anna Maria Franziska von Sachsen-Lauenburg (1672-1741)||Philipp Wilhelm August von Pfalz-Neuburg (1668-1693)+Gian Gastone de' Medici (1671-1737)|
|Ebenezer Averill (1669-1717)||Susanna Hovey (1699-1782) + Mehitable Foster (1675-)|
|Thomas Axtell (1672-1750)||Sarah Barker (1679-1747)|
|Sarah Barker (1679-1747)||Thomas Axtell (1672-1750)|
|Anne Bigger (c1679-c1724)||William Head (c1660-1718)|
|Jonathan Bingham (1674-1751)||Anne Huntington (1675-1756)|
|John Bolling (1676-1729)||Mary Kennon (1679-1727)|
|Priscilla Bonham (1677-1710)||John Langstaff (1664-1745)|
|Grietje Bosscher (-1746)||Cornelis de Haan (c1675-1731)|
|Michael Bowden (1673-1740)||Sarah Davis (c1675-)|
|Thomas Carman (1664-1761)||Mary Stiles (1674-)|
|John Cecil, 6th Earl of Exeter (1674-1721)||Annabella Bennet (c1675-1698)+Elizabeth Brownlow (1681-1723)|
|Phillippa Ruth Chase (1679-1754)||Jacob Hathaway (1675-1759)|
|... further results|
There were 0 military battles in 1697.