|Centuries:||17th century - 18th century - 19th century|
|Decades:|| 1750s 1760s 1770s - 1780s - 1790s 1800s 1810s
|Years:||1779 1780 1781 - 1782 - 1783 1784 1785|
|1782 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology – Architecture –|
|Art – Literature (Poetry) – Music – Science|
|Leaders: State leaders – Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Births – Deaths – Marriages|
Year 1782 (MDCCLXXXII) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Saturday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar).
Events of 1782
January - June
- January 7 - The first American commercial bank opens (Bank of North America).
- January 15 - Superintendent of Finance Robert Morris goes before the U.S. Congress to recommend establishment of a national mint and decimal coinage.
- February 5
- March 27 - Charles Watson-Wentworth becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- April 6 - Rama I succeeded King Taksin of Thailand who was overthrown in an coup d'etat.
- April 12 - Battle of the Saintes: A British fleet under Admiral Sir George Rodney defeats a French fleet under the Comte de Grasse in the West Indies.
- June 18 - In Switzerland, Anna Göldi is sentenced to death for witchcraft - the last legal witchcraft sentence.
- June 20 - The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the United States of America.
July - December
- July - Joseph II, receives a visit from Pope Pius VI.
- July 1 - American privateers attack Lunenburg, Nova Scotia.
- August 7 - George Washington orders the creation of the Badge of Military Merit or the Order of the Purple Heart to honor soldiers' merit in battle. Reinstated later by Franklin D. Roosevelt and renamed to the more poetic "Purple Heart" to honor soldiers wounded in action.
- November 30 - American Revolutionary War: In Paris, representatives from the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain sign preliminary peace articles (later formalized in the Treaty of Paris).
- London creates Foot Patrol for public security.
- In the summer of 1782 the Dutch banker Nicolaas van Staphorst led discussions with John Adams over a loan to the United States of five million guilder, at that time a considerable sum.
- British parliament extends James Watt's patent for the steam engine to the year 1800.
- The North Carolina General Assembly incorporates Washington, North Carolina.
- In China, the Siku Quanshu is completed, the largest literary compilation in China's history (surpassing the Yongle Encyclopedia of the 15th century). The books were bound in 36,381 volumes (册) with more than 79,000 chapters (卷), comprising about 2.3 million pages, and approximately 800 million Chinese characters.
|Gregorian calendar||1782 |
|Ab urbe condita||2535|
|Armenian calendar||1231 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-62 – -61|
|Coptic calendar||1498 – 1499|
|Ethiopian calendar||1774 – 1775|
|Hebrew calendar||5542 – 5543|
|- Vikram Samvat||1837 – 1838|
|- Shaka Samvat||1704 – 1705|
|- Kali Yuga||4883 – 4884|
|Iranian calendar||1160 – 1161|
|Islamic calendar||1196 – 1197|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2442|
|Thai solar calendar||2325|
- January 5 - Robert Morrison, Scottish Protestant missionary to China (d. 1834)
- January 18 - Daniel Webster, American statesman (d. 1852)
- March 4 - Johann Rudolf Wyss, Swiss writer (d. 1830)
- March 18 - John Calhoun, Vice President of the United States (d. 1850)
- July 3 - Pierre Berthier, French geologist (d. 1861)
- July 26 - John Field, Irish composer (d. 1837)
- October 27 - Nicolò Paganini, Italian violinist and composer (d. 1840)
- November 1 - Frederick John Robinson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1859)
- December 5 - Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the United States (d. 1862)
- date unknown
- See also 1782 births.
- January 2 - Johann Christian Bach, German composer (b. 1735)
- January 4 - Ange-Jacques Gabriel, French architect (b. 1698)
- February 9 - Joseph Aloysius Assemani, Syrian orientalist (b. 1710)
- February 11 - Friedrich Christoph Oetinger, German theologian (b. 1702)
- March 12 - Daniel Bernoulli, Dutch-born mathematical physicist (b. 1700)
- April 13 - Metastasio, Italian poet and librettist (b. 1698)
- April 28 - William Talbot, English politician (b. 1710)
- May 15 - Marquis of Pombal, Portuguese prime minister (b. 1699)
- May 16 - Daniel Solander, Swedish botanist (b. 1736)
- May 20 - William Emerson, English mathematician (b. 1701)
- May - Richard Wilson, Welsh painter (b. 1714)
- July 1 - Charles Watson-Wentworth, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1730)
- July 15 - Farinelli, Italian castrato (b. 1705)
- August 31 - George Croghan, American colonist
- December 27 - Henry Home, Scottish advocate and philosopher (b. 1697)
- December - Hyder Ali, Indian general and Sultan of Mysore
People of the year 1782 at Familypedia
126 people were born in 1782
72 children were born to the 54 women born in 1782
86 people died in 1782
7168 people lived in 1782
Events of the year 1782 at Familypedia
109 people were married in 1782.
|Abigail Abbe (1767-1851)||Otis Chaffee (1763-1813)|
|Arien Ariensz Abbenes (c1740-1806)||Trijntje Ijsbrants Lap (1751-1780)+Antje Jacobs Krijnen (c1757-1814)|
|Eliab Alden (1761-1844)||Mary Hathaway (1766-1859)|
|William Allred (1756-1808)||Elizabeth Thrasher (1754-1841)|
|Ebenezer Bacon (1756-1811)||Abigail Carpenter (1759-1781) + Rebecca Jenkins (1763-1791) + Abigail Crocker (1769-1859)|
|Joseph Beeler (1762-1845)||Katherine Petrie (1767-1829)+Ana Parker (1794-1868)|
|Chloe Ann Benner (1762-1829)||Jacob Frederick Ettleman (1757-1846)|
|Mary Benwell (c1760-1816)||Richard Valpy (1754-1836)|
|Anne Bingham (1706-1790)||Thomas Baldwin (1701-1776)+John Hough (1697-1785)|
|James Bloodworth (c1759-1804)||Jane Marks (c1759-) + Sarah Bellamy (c1770-1843)|
|John Blundell (farmer) (-1812)||Mary Rice (1754-1827)|
|Meindert Botman (1758-1828)||Klaasje ter Velden (1754-1832)|
|Robert Brantley (1740-1795)||Sarah Rorie (c1732-)|
|Eliab Brewer (1760-1835)||Sally Rice (1750-1835)|
|Daniel Brigham (1760-1818)||Thankful Brigham (1765-1824)|
|... further results|
There were 0 military battles in 1782.
- See also 1782 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1782. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|