|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1790s 1800s 1810s - 1820s - 1830s 1840s 1850s
|Years:||1821 1822 1823 - 1824 - 1825 1826 1827|
|1824 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Births - Marriages - Deaths
- For the game, see: 1824.
- 1 Events of 1824
- 2 Births
- 3 Deaths
- 4 People of the year 1824 at Familypedia
- 5 Events of the year 1824 at Familypedia
Events of 1824
January - March
- January 8 - After much controversy, Michael Faraday is finally elected as a member of the Royal Society with only one vote against him.
- January 22 - Ashanti crush British forces in the Gold Coast, killing the British governor Sir Charles MacCarthy (See also Wars between Britain and Ashanti in Ghana and Ashanti Confederacy).
- February 10 - Simón Bolívar proclaimed dictator of Peru.
- February 21 - Chumash Uprising against the Spanish begins, at Mission Santa Inés in modern-day Solvang
- March 11 - The United States War Department creates the Bureau of Indian Affairs and Ely S. Parker of the Seneca tribe becomes its first director.
- March 17 - Signing of the Anglo-Dutch Treaty of 1824.
April - June
July - September
- September 13 - With his crew and 29 convicts aboard the Amity, John Oxley arrives at and founds the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement at what is now Redcliffe in Queensland, Australia, after leaving Sydney.
- September 16 - Charles X succeeds Louis XVIII as King of France.
October - December
- October 10 - Edinburgh Town Council makes a decision to found the Edinburgh Municipal Fire Brigade, the first fire brigade in Britain.
- November 5 - first technological university in the English-speaking world founded: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- November 7 - Worst flood in Saint Petersburg: water rose 421 cm above normal and 200 lost their lives.
- November 15- 16 - A huge fire breaks out on Old Assembly Close in Edinburgh. It destroys two tenements and Tron Kirk church. 11 residents and 2 firemen die, 400 people are left homeless.
- November 30 - the first sod is turned at Allenburgh Ontario, for the first of four Welland Canals ( The canal would open for a trial run exactly 5 years later, to the day )
- December 9 - At the Battle of Ayacucho, Peruvian forces defeat Spanish.
- December 24 - The Chi Phi (ΧΦ) Fraternity was founded at Princeton University.
- The British take Rangoon, Burma.
- Frontier treaty between United States and Russia is signed.
- Egyptians capture Crete.
- Turks seize island of Ipsara from Greeks but are defeated at Mytilene.
- What is now the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology in Britain was founded in earnest.
- Cimetière du Montparnasse established
- The Dutch sign the Masang Agreement temporarily ending hostilities in the Padri War
- The name Australia, recommended by Matthew Flinders in 1804, is finally adopted as the official name of the country once known as New Holland.
|Gregorian calendar||1824 |
|Ab urbe condita||2577|
|Armenian calendar||1273 |
|Bahá'í calendar||-20 – -19|
|Coptic calendar||1540 – 1541|
|Ethiopian calendar||1816 – 1817|
|Hebrew calendar||5584 – 5585|
|- Vikram Samvat||1879 – 1880|
|- Shaka Samvat||1746 – 1747|
|- Kali Yuga||4925 – 4926|
|Iranian calendar||1202 – 1203|
|Islamic calendar||1239 – 1240|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2484|
|Thai solar calendar||2367|
January - June
- January 8 - Wilkie Collins, British novelist (d. 1889)
- January 15 - Marie Duplessis, French courtesan
- January 21 - Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, American Confederate general (d. 1863)
- February 7 - William Huggins, British astronomer (d. 1910)
- February 16 - Peter Kozler, Slovenian cartographer and geographer (d. 1879)
- March 2 - Bedřich Smetana, Czech composer (d. 1885)
- March 9 - Amasa Leland Stanford, Governor of California (d. 1893)
- March 12 - Gustav Kirchhoff, German physicist (d. 1887)
- March 19 - William Allingham, Irish author (d. 1889)
- March 25 - Clinton L. Merriam, American politician (d. 1900)
- May 6 - Tokugawa Iesada, Japanese shogun (d. 1858)
- May 16 - Levi P. Morton, 22nd Vice President of the United States (d. 1920)
- May 23 - Ambrose Burnside, American Civil War general (d. 1881)
- June 26 - William Thomson, Irish-born physicist and engineer (d. 1907)
- June 28 - Paul Broca, French anthropologist (d. 1880)
- July 12 - Eugène Boudin, French painter (d. 1898)
July - December
- July 27 - Alexandre Dumas, French writer (d. 1895)
- September 4 - Anton Bruckner, Austrian composer (d. 1896)
- October 5 - Henry Chadwick, baseball writer and historian (d. 1908)
- October 18 - Juan Valera y Alcalá-Galiano, Spanish author (d. 1905)
- December 10 - George MacDonald, English writer (d. 1905)
- December 14 - Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, French painter (d. 1898)
- date unknown - Gideon T. Stewart, American temperance movement leader (d. 1907)
- See also 1824 births.
January - June
- January 21 - Jean Baptiste Drouet, French revolutionary (b. 1765)
- January 26 - Théodore Géricault, French painter (b. 1791)
- February 21 - Eugène de Beauharnais, son of Josephine de Beauharnais (b. 1781)
- April 19 - George Gordon Byron, English poet (b. 1788)
- May 15 - Johann Philipp Stadion, statesman (b. 1763)
- May 26 - Capel Lofft, English writer (b. 1751)
- June 16 - Charles-François Lebrun, Third Consul of France (b. 1739)
- June 18 - Ferdinand III (b. 1769)
- June 21 - Étienne Aignan, French writer (b. 1773)
July - December
- July 20 Maine de Biran, philosopher
- July 21 - Buddha Loetla Nabhalai, King of Siam (b. 1767)
- August 12 - Charles Nerinckx, founder of the Sisters of Loretto (b. 1761)
- September 16 - Louis XVIII of France (b. 1755)
- October 30 - Charles Maturin, Irish writer (b. 1773)
- See also Category:Died in 1824.
People of the year 1824 at Familypedia
292 people were born in 1824
204 children were born to the 131 women born in 1824
125 people died in 1824
11146 people lived in 1824
Events of the year 1824 at Familypedia
202 people were married in 1824.
There were 0 military battles in 1824.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1824. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|