Jurassic World: Dominion Dominates Fandom Wikis - The Loop
Do you like this video?
|Centuries:||18th century - 19th century - 20th century|
|Decades:|| 1850s 1860s 1870s - 1880s - 1890s 1900s 1910s
|Years:||1881 1882 1883 - 1884 - 1885 1886 1887|
|1884 in topic:|
|Subjects: Archaeology - Architecture -|
|Art - Literature (Poetry) - Music - Science|
|Sports - Rail Transport|
|Countries: Australia - Canada - France - Germany - Ireland - Mexico - New Zealand - Norway - South Africa - UK - USA|
|Leaders: State leaders - Colonial governors|
|Category: Establishments - Disestablishments|
|Births - Marriages - Deaths
Events of 1884
January - March
- January 4 - The Fabian Society is founded in London.
- January 18 - Dr William Price attempts to cremate the body of his infant son, Iesu Grist (Jesus Christ) Price, setting a legal precedent for cremation in the UK.
- February 1 - Edition one of the Oxford English Dictionary is published.
- March 13 - The siege of Khartoum, Sudan begins (ends on January 26, 1885).
April - June
- April 22 - Colchester earthquake, England; the UK's most destructive.
- May 1 - the first proclamation of eight-hour workday by the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions in the United States. May 1, called May Day or Labour Day, is now a holiday recognized in almost every industrialized country.
- June 4 - Estonian flag is consecrated as the flag of the Estonian Students Society.
July - September
- July 5 - Germany takes possession of Cameroon.
- July 23 - Today's Courier recorded the first tennis tournaments held in the grounds of Shrubland Hall, Leamington Spa, England.
- August 5 - The cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on Bedloe's Island in New York Harbor.
- August 10 - A severe earthquake, magnitude 5.5, (intensity VII) occurs off the northeast Atlantic coast. The area affected extends from central Virginia to southern Maine, and west as far as Cleveland.
- September 5 - Staten Island Academy is founded.
October - December
- October - International Meridian Conference in Washington fixes the Greenwich meridian as the world's prime meridian.
- October 6 - United States Naval War College is established in Newport.
- October 18 - University of Wales (UK) founded.
- October 22 - The first woman receives a degree from an Irish university. The degree is granted by the Royal University of Ireland.
- November 1 - The Irish Gaelic Athletic Association is founded in Thurles, Ireland.
- November 2 - Timişoara is the first town of Europe with streets illuminated by electric light.
- November 4 - United States presidential election: Democrat Grover Cleveland defeats Republican James G. Blaine in a very close contest to win the first of his non-consecutive terms.
- November 15 - The Berlin Conference which regulated European colonisation and trade in Africa begins (ends February 26, 1885).
- November 25 - British surgeon John Dooglee makes the first successful removal of a brain tumor.
- December 1 - American Old West - Near Frisco, deputy sheriff Elfego Baca holds off a gang of 80 Texan cowboys who want to kill him for arresting cowboy Charles McCarthy (the cowboys were terrorizing the area's Hispanos and Baca was working against them).
- December 6 - Washington Monument was completed.
- December 16 - World Cotton Centennial World's Fair opens in New Orleans.
- Bechuanaland becomes British protectorate.
- Stefan-Boltzmann law reformulated by Ludwig Boltzmann.
- British Police officers go on armed patrol in London.
- Mark Twain writes The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
- First ascent made of Castle Mountain by geologist Arthur Philemon Coleman.
- The water hyacinth is introduced in the U.S. and quickly becomes an invasive species.
- Parliamentarism is introduced in Norway.
|Gregorian calendar||1884 |
|Ab urbe condita||2637|
|Armenian calendar||1333 |
|Bahá'í calendar||40 – 41|
|Coptic calendar||1600 – 1601|
|Ethiopian calendar||1876 – 1877|
|Hebrew calendar||5644 – 5645|
|- Vikram Samvat||1939 – 1940|
|- Shaka Samvat||1806 – 1807|
|- Kali Yuga||4985 – 4986|
|Iranian calendar||1262 – 1263|
|Islamic calendar||1301 – 1302|
|- Imperial Year||Kōki 2544|
|Thai solar calendar||2427|
January - June
- January 2 - Oscar Micheaux, American filmmaker and author (d. 1951)
- January 12 - Texas Guinan, American vaudeville performer (d. 1933)
- January 13 - Sophie Tucker, Russian-born singer and comedian (d. 1966)
- January 21 - Roger Baldwin, American social activist (d. 1981)
- January 23 - Ralph DePalma, Italian-born race car driver (d. 1956)
- January 28 - Auguste Piccard, Swiss physicist, balloonist, and inventor (d. 1962)
- January 31 - Theodor Heuss, German politician and publicist (d. 1963)
- February 12
- February 13 - Alfred Carlton Gilbert, American athlete and inventor (d. 1961)
- February 14 - Hezekiah M. Washburn, missionary (d. 1972)
- February 16 - Robert J. Flaherty, American filmmaker (d. 1951)
- February 18 - Andrew Watson Myles, Canadian politician (d. 1970)
- February 22 - Abe Attell, American boxer (d. 1970)
- March 13 - Sir Hugh Walpole, English novelist (d. 1941)
- March 17 - Alcide Nunez, American jazz musician (d. 1934)
- March 24 - Peter Debye, Dutch chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1966)
- March 25 - Georges Imbert, Alsatian chemist (d. 1950)
- March 26 - Wilhelm Backhaus, German pianist (d. 1969)
- April 4 - Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese naval commander (d. 1943)
- April 6 - Walter Huston, actor (d. 1950)
- April 12 - Otto Fritz Meyerhof, German-born physician and biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (d. 1951)
- May 1 - Henry Norwest, Canadian World War I sniper (d. 1918)
- May 8 - Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States (d. 1972)
- May 10 - Olga Petrova, English-born actress (d. 1977)
- May 14 - Claudius Dornier, German aircraft designer (d. 1969)
- May 27 - Max Brod, Austrian author (d. 1968)
- May 28 - Edvard Beneš, Austrian politician (d. 1948)
July - December
- July 12 - Amedeo Modigliani, Italian painter and sculptor (d. 1920)
- July 15 - Phraya Manopakorn Nititada, Thailand's First Prime Minister (d. 1948)
- July 18 - Alberto di Jorio, former head of the Vatican Bank and secretary of the 1958 conclave (d. 1979)
- July 23 - Emil Jannings, Swiss actor (d. 1950)
- August 8 - Sara Teasdale, American poet (d. 1933)
- August 10 - Panait Istrati, Romanian writer (d. 1935)
- August 23 - Will Cuppy, American humorist (d. 1949)
- August 30 - Theodor Svedberg, Swedish chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1971)
- September 17 - Charles Tomlinson Griffes, American composer (d. 1920)
- September 24 - İsmet İnönü, Turkish soldier, statesman and the second President of Turkey.(d. 1973)
- September 24 - Hugo Schmeisser, German weapons designer (d. 1953)
- October 7 - Major Harold Geiger, U.S. Army aviation pioneer (d. 1927)
- October 11 - Friedrich Bergius, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1949)
- October 11 - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States (d. 1962)
- November 20 - Norman Thomas, American social reformer (d. 1968)
- December 3 - Walther Stampfli, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1965)
- December 30 - Tojo Hideki, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1948)
- date unknown
- See also 1884 births.
January - June
- January 6 - Gregor Mendel, Czech geneticist (b. 1822)
- January 25 - Johann Gottfried Piefke, German conductor and composer (b. 1815)
- March 1 - Isaac Todhunter, English mathematician (b. 1820)
- March 21 - Ezra Abbot, American Bible scholar (b. 1819)
- April 4 - Marie Bashkirtseff, Russian artist (b. 1858)
- April 6 - Emanuel Geibel, poet and dramatist (b. 1815)
- April 24 - Marie Taglioni, ballerina (b. 1804)
- May 12 - Bedřich Smetana, Czech composer (b. 1824)
- May 13 - Cyrus McCormick, American inventor (b. 1809)
- June 25 - Hans Rott, Austrian composer (b. 1858)
July - December
- July 1 - Allan Pinkerton, American detective (b. 1819)
- July 10 - Paul Morphy, American chess player (b. 1837)
- July 15 - Henry Wellesley, diplomat (b. 1804)
- October 4 - Leona Florentino, Filipina poet (b. 1849)
- October 18 - William VIII (b. 1806)
- November 16 - František Chvostek, Moravian physician (b. 1835)
- November 25 - Adolph Wilhelm Hermann Kolbe, German chemist (b. 1818)
- December 20 - Domenico Consolini, Roman Catholic Cardinal (b. 1806)
People of the year 1884 at Familypedia
271 people were born in 1884
64 children were born to the 123 women born in 1884
215 people died in 1884
17979 people lived in 1884
Events of the year 1884 at Familypedia
260 people were married in 1884.
There were 0 military battles in 1884.
- See also 1884 deaths.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at 1884. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|