|Offspring of Alexander Abercromby and Jane Urquhart (-) ¢|
|Alexander Abercromby (-)Christian Abercromby (-)Marie Abercromby (-)|
|Violet Abercromby (-)|
Sir Alexander Abercromby of Birkenbog, 1st Baronet (c. 1603 – December 1684) was a Scottish politician.
He was the oldest son of Alexander Abercromby of Birkenbog and his wife Elizabeth Bethune, daughter of David Bethune. On 20 February 1636, he was created a Baronet, of Birkenbog, in the County of Banff. Abercromby entered the Parliament of Scotland in 1640, sitting for Banffshire until the following year. He represented the constituency also in 1643 and after a break of three years, he was returned for it in 1646, a seat he held for the next two years. In 1661, he was again successful for Banffshire until 1663. Abercromby was a Covenanter and in 1645 took part at the Battle of Auldearn under command of John Hurry.
He married firstly Jane Urquhart, daughter of Sir Thomas Urquhart, and had by her a son and three daughters. After her death, Abercromby remarried Jane Sutherland. On 22 August 1668 he married thirdly Elizabeth Baird, daughter of Sir James Baird. Abercromby had another daughter by his second wife and three sons and a daughter by his third wife. He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his second and oldest surviving son James. His third son Alexander was also a Member of Parliament and ancestor of the Barons Abercromby.
- ^ "Leigh Rayment - Baronetage". http://www.leighrayment.com/baronetage/baronetsA1.htm. Retrieved 28 October 2009.
- ^ Collins, Arthur (1812). Sir Egerton Brydges. ed. Collin's Peerage of England. vol. IX. London: T. Bensley. pp. 151.
- ^ Lodge, Edmund (1859). The Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire (28th ed.). London: Hurst and Blackett. pp. 591.
- ^ a b c Foster, Joseph. Members of Parliament, Scotland, including the Minor Barons, the Commissioners for the Shire. BiblioBazaar Llc.. pp. 1. ISBN 1-113-82016-0.
- ^ a b Burke, John (1832). A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire. vol. I (4th ed.). London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. pp. 5.
- ^ a b c d Burke, John (2001). Peter de Vere Beauclerk-Dewar. ed. Burke's Landed Gentry of Great Britain. pp. 1. ISBN 0-9711966-0-5.
- ^ "ThePeerage - Sir Alexander Abercromby of Birkenbog, 1st Bt". http://www.thepeerage.com/p2741.htm#i27408. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
|Baronetage of Nova Scotia|
|New creation|| Baronet
1636 – 1684
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Scottish baronet and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||c. 1603|
|PLACE OF BIRTH|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 1684|
|PLACE OF DEATH|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Sir_Alexander_Abercromby,_1st_Baronet. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|