|— Former municipality —|
|Municipality||Kaag en Braassem|
|• Total||30.91 km2 (11.93 sq mi)|
|• Land||26.97 km2 (10.41 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.93 km2 (1.52 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2007)|
|• Density||539/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Source: CBS, Statline.|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Alkemade ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a former municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. Before its merger with Jacobswoude, the municipality covered an area of 30.91 km² (11.93 mile² ) of which 3.94 km² (1.52 mile²) is water. It had a population of 14,481 in 2004.
The municipality has many greenhouses and 13 windmills, one of which dates from 1632. Water sports are popular here because of its location on the lakes Kagerplassen and Braassemermeer.
On January 1, 2009, Alkemade and Jacobswoude merged and formed the new municipality of Kaag en Braassem.
- Joop Doderer (1921-2005) - actor
- Joop Zoetemelk (1946) - cyclist, winner of the Tour de France 1980
- Lou Geels (1908-1979) - actor
- Bart Spring in 't Veld (1976) - Big Brother 2000 winner
- Alex Turk (1975) - cartoonist
- Sanne van der Star (1986) - speed skater
- Monique Velzeboer (1971) - speed skater, gold medal at the 1988 Olympics
- Simone Velzeboer - speed skater
- Lars Hoogenboom - marathon skater
- Femke Heemskerk - swimmer
- Ilana Rooderkerk (1987) - soap opera actress
- Marike Koek (1953) - actress
- Bobbie Koek (1985) - actress
- Dioomen - D.J.
Template:Province South Holland
|This South Holland location article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Alkemade. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|