The Bates family (/beɪtɛs/ BAY-ts) is an American political and banking family from Maine and Massachusetts whose members include a proniment textile tycoon who founded the Bates Manufacturing Company and Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.
he family can trace their ancestors to John Alden (c1599-1687) who was crew member on the historic 1620 voyage of the Pilgrim ship Mayflower, through the union of Elkanah Bates (1779-1841) and Hannah Copeland (1780-1834). The family assumed their family crest upon their marriage. Alden's daughter Ruth married John Bass, and were survived by Benjamin, Williams and eventually Hannah Copeland, who began the lineage with the Bates family.
- John Alden (c1599-1687): ( HCopeland, WCopeland, BCopeland, MBass, RAlden, JAlden]]) - Mayflower Pilgrim -
- Priscilla Mullins (1602-1680) - wife of John Alden. Priscilla and her parents also sailed on the Mayflower
The Bates family starts in England but moved to and from Massachusetts periodically, with certain members being born abroad and others being born in New England. Deeply religious the family founded numerous (some now defunct) religious institutions and centers. Alfred Bates fought in the American Revolution as a Captain, and later became a brigadier general for the Massachusetts State Militia.
- It appears to incorrectly link the Bates of Boston with a Benjamin Bates II of Scotland who was an English physician in the Hellfire Club.
- Thomas Fleming Bates and his family are all from Virginia - no connection to Boston.
- Benjamin Bates IV (1808–1878); philanthropist, namesake and benefactor of Bates College
- John Grenville Bates (1880-1944) - a co-founder of the American Kennel Club and former President and Show Chairman of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
- Bates Family - Wikipedia
- Boston Herald, The People You Know - Benjamin Edward Bates. Boston Herald Publishing, 2010
- Harry Chase, Bates College was named for Mansfield Man. Edmund Muskie Archives, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine: Bates College.
- Johnnett, R. F. (1878). Bates Student: A Monthly Magazine. Edmund Muskie Archives, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine: Bates College.
- Gilbert T. Joseph, Reminiscences of Early Days. Edmund Muskie Archives, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine: Bates College.
- Thomas Mercer (1990) Bates: A Familial Journey. Boston Her. Press.