Benjamin Chapman was born 31 December 1783 in Reedsboro, Bennington County, Vermont, United States to Throope Chapman (1734-1794) and Deborah Wilson (1743-) and died 27 November 1843 Reedsboro, Bennington County, Vermont, United States of unspecified causes. He married Sybil Amidon (1783-1863) 9 September 1802 in Readsboro, Bennington County, Vermont, United States.
Benjamin Chapman (1783-1843) - Vermont Farmer
- Son of Throope Chapman (1734-1794) and Deborah Wilson (1743-1831)
- 1783-Dec-31 : Birth in Reedsboro, Bennington Co, Vermont, USA
- 1802-Sep-09 : Marriage to Sybil Amidon (1783-1828) in Reedsboro, Bennington Co, Vermont, USA
- 1843-Nov-27 : Died in Reedsboro, Bennington Co, Vermont, USA
His father, Throope Chapman, was one of the founders of Reedsboro, VT.
His wife family, the Amidons, are also prominent in the history of Readsboro.
The records of 1794, the earliest now in existence, show that in that year a town meeting was called by Joseph HARTWELL and Throop CHAPMAN, selectmen, to be holden on the 17th day of March, 1794, at the house of Robert VALENTINE. Captain Joseph HEARTWELL was moderator; John FAIRBANKS, town clerk; Simeon THAYER, first selectman, lister, treasurer, highway commissioner and fence viewer; Elijah BAILEY, selectman, sealer of weights and measures; Ezra AMIDON, selectman; Henry H. DAVIDSON, constable; Throop CHAPMAN, grand juror; Philip BAILEY and Daniel DAVIDSON, highway surveyors; Jerry DAVIDSON and Jedediah AMIDON, haywards or hog constables; Lieutenant Samuel AMIDON, surveyor of lumber; Elijah SIBLEY, fence viewer.
His brother Johnathon married Rhoda Amidon and had 7 kids from 1796-1822 in Readsboro, VT. Moved to Conewango, NY around 1835.
Brother Benjamin married Rhoda's sister Sibyl and their son Welcome joined the Mormons. They disowned him and he moved to Utah where he became a Mormon leader.
Children of Benjamin Chapman and Sybil Amidon
- Persis Chapman (1803-1884) -m. Curtis Bacon
- Welcome Chapman (1805-1893) - Leader of Mormon Colony to Manti, Utah / Stonecutter on the Nauvoo and Salt Lake LDS Temples. m. Susan Risley.
- Samuel Joseph Chapman (1806-1875)
- Alvira Chapman (1809-)
- Levi Chapman (1813-) - m. Antoinette Edson
- Hyrum Chapman (1814-1904) -
- William Chapman (1817-1904) - m. Nancy Anne Gage
- Ruby Chapman (1821-)
- Aines Chapman (1824-)
- Benjamin Chapman (1813-) - Bad dates, places, etc. Needs authentication.
- Welcome Chapman Family Ancestry
- Chapman in Bennington County, Vermont
- Benjamin Chapman - disambiguation
- Benjamin Chapman Immigrant Ancestors
- Chapman Family Organization
- Wikipedia Entry for Son, Welcome Chapman
- History of Readsboro VT