|December 27 in recent years
December 27 is the 361st day of the year (362nd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 4 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 537 - The Hagia Sophia is completed.
- 1512 - The Spanish Crown issues the Laws of Burgos, governing the conduct of settlers with regards to native Indians in the New World.
- 1657 - The Flushing Remonstrance is signed.
- 1703 - Portugal and England sign the Methuen Treaty which gives preference to Portuguese imported wines into England.
- 1814 - Destruction of schooner Carolina, the last of Commodore Daniel Patterson's make-shift fleet that fought a series of delaying actions that contributed to Andrew Jackson's victory at the Battle of New Orleans.
- 1831 - Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard the HMS Beagle, where he will formulate the theory of evolution.
- 1836 - The worst ever avalanche in England occurs at Lewes, Sussex, killing 8 people.
- 1845 - Ether anesthetic is used for childbirth for the first time by Dr. Crawford Williamson Long in Jefferson.
- 1918 - The Great Poland Uprising against the Germans begins.
- 1923 - Namba Daisuke, a Japanese student, tries to assassinate the Prince Regent Hirohito
- 1929 - Leon Trotsky is deported from the Soviet Union in February 1929. His first station in exile was at Büyükada off the coast of Istanbul, where he stayed four years.
- 1932 - The Radio City Music Hall in New York City opens.
- 1939 - Erzincan, Turkey is hit by an earthquake.
- 1945 - The World Bank is created with the signing of an agreement by 28 nations.
- 1949 - Indonesian National Revolution: The Netherlands officially recognizes Indonesian independence.
- 1968 - Apollo Program: Apollo 8 splashes down in the Pacific Ocean, ending humanity's second manned mission to the Moon.
- 1978 - Spain becomes a democracy after 40 years of dictatorship.
- 1979 - The Soviet Union seizes control of Afghanistan and Babrak Karmal replaces overthrown and executed President Hafizullah Amin.
- 1985 - Palestinian guerrillas kill eighteen people inside Rome and Vienna airports.
- 1996 - Taliban forces retake the strategic Bagram air base which solidifies their buffer zone around Kabul.
- 1997 - Protestant paramilitary leader Billy Wright is assassinated in Northern Ireland.
- 2001 - The People's Republic of China is granted permanent normal trade relations with the United States.
- 2002 - Two truck bombs kill 72 and wound 200 at the pro-Moscow headquarters of the Chechen government in Grozny, Chechnya.
- 1390 - Anne de Mortimer, claimant to the English throne (d. 1411)
- 1571 - Johannes Kepler, German astronomer (d. 1630)
- 1654 - Jacob Bernoulli, Swiss mathematician (d. 1705)
- 1683 - Conyers Middleton, English minister (d. 1750)
- 1714 - Kristijonas Donelaitis, Lithuanian poet (d. 1780)
- 1715 - Philippe de Noailles, French soldier (d. 1794)
- 1717 - Pope Pius VI (d. 1799)
- 1721 - François Hemsterhuis, Dutch philosopher (d. 1790)
- 1773 - George Cayley, English scientist, inventor, and politician (d. 1857)
- 1776 - Nikolay Kamensky, Russian general (d. 1811)
- 1796 - Mirza Ghalib, Indian poet (d. 1869)
- 1803 - François-Marie-Thomas Chevalier de Lorimier, French Canadian Patriote (d. 1839)
- 1822 - Louis Pasteur, French scientist (d. 1895)
- 1823 - Sir Mackenzie Bowell, fifth Prime Minister of Canada (d. 1896)
- 1832 - Pavel Tretyakov, Russian businessman and patron of art (d. 1897)
- 1864 - René Georges Hermann-Paul, French artist
- 1879 - Sydney Greenstreet, English actor (d. 1954)
- 1883 - Cyrus S. Eaton, Canadian-American financier, industrialist and philanthropist (d. 1979)
- 1888 - Thea von Harbou, German author and actress (d. 1954)
- 1892 - Alfred Edwin McKay, Canadian World War One flying ace (d. 1917)
- 1896 - Carl Zuckmayer, German author and dramatist (d. 1977)
- 1896 - Louis Bromfield, American writer (d. 1956)
- 1896 - Maurice De Waele, Belgian cyclist (d. 1952)
- 1900 - Hans Stuck, German race car driver (d. 1978)
- 1901 - Marlene Dietrich, German actress and singer (d. 1992)
- 1906 - Oscar Levant, American pianist, composer, and actor (d. 1972)
- 1907 - Sebastian Haffner, German journalist and writer (d. 1999)
- 1907 - Conrad L. Raiford, Goodwill Ambassador (d. 2002)
- 1910 - Charles Olson, American poet (d. 1970)
- 1915 - Mary Kornman, American actress (d. 1973)
- 1915 - William Masters, American gynecologist (d. 2001)
- 1915 - Gyula Zsengellér, Hungarian footballer
- 1917 - Onni Palaste, Finnish writer
- 1918 - John Celardo, American comic strip artist
- 1920 - Bruce Hobbs, American jockey (d. 2005)
- 1925 - Michel Piccoli, French actor
- 1926 - Jerome Courtland, American actor, director and producer
- 1927 - Antony Gardner, British politician
- 1927 - Agnes Nixon, American television producer, director, and writer
- 1930 - Wilfrid Sheed, English-born American writer
- 1931 - Scotty Moore, American guitarist
- 1934 - Larissa Latynina, Russian gymnast
- 1939 - John Amos, American actor
- 1941 - Michael Pinder, British musician (Moody Blues)
- 1941 - Nolan Richardson, American basketball coach
- 1942 - Byron Browne, baseball player
- 1942 - Charmian Carr, American actress
- 1943 - Cokie Roberts, American journalist
- 1943 - Joan Manuel Serrat, Spanish musician
- 1943 - Peter Sinfield, British lyricist and producer
- 1944 - Barry Elliot British actor
- 1944 - Mick Jones, British musician (Foreigner)
- 1946 - Janet Street-Porter, British journalist, producer and presenter
- 1947 - Tracy Nelson, American blues singer
- 1947 - Mickey Redmond, National Hockey League player
- 1947 - Janet Perry, American soprano
- 1948 - Gérard Depardieu, French actor
- 1950 - Roberto Bettega, Italian footballer
- 1950 - Terry Bozzio, American drummer (Missing Persons)
- 1951 - Ernesto Zedillo, President of Mexico
- 1952 - Karla Bonoff, American singer and songwriter
- 1952 - Jay Hill, Canadian politician
- 1952 - David Knopfler, British musician (Dire Straits)
- 1955 - Barbara Olson, American political commentator (d. 2001)
- 1955 - Brad Murphey, Australian racing driver
- 1959 - Gerina Dunwich, American author
- 1959 - Andre Tippett, American football player
- 1960 - Maryam d'Abo, British actress
- 1960 - Victoria Paige Meyerink, American actress and producer
- 1962 - Mark Few, American basketball coach
- 1962 - Bill Self, American basketball coach
- 1962 - Sherri Steinhauer, American golfer
- 1965 - Salman Khan, Indian actor
- 1965 - Chris Mainwaring, Australian rules footballer (d. 2007)
- 1966 - Wendy Coakley-Thompson, American writer
- 1966 - Eva LaRue, American actress
- 1966 - Bill Goldberg, American football player and professional wrestler
- 1966 - Fabian Núñez, American politician
- 1969 - Jean-Christophe Boullion, French race car driver
- 1969 - Sarah Vowell, American author and journalist
- 1970 - Brendon Cook, Australian racing driver
- 1970 - Lorenzo Neal, American football player
- 1971 - Chyna, American professional wrestler
- 1971 - Duncan Ferguson, Scottish footballer
- 1972 - Thomas Wilson Brown, American actor
- 1972 - Matt Slocum, American musician (Sixpence None the Richer)
- 1973 - Kristoffer Zegers, Dutch Composer
- 1973 - Wilson Cruz, Puerto Rican actor
- 1973 - Dee Ferris, British painter
- 1974 - Masi Oka, Japanese-American actor
- 1974 - Jay Pandolfo, American ice hockey player
- 1975 - Heather O'Rourke, American actress (d. 1988)
- 1976 - Fernando Pisani, Canadian/Italian ice hockey player
- 1977 - Jacqueline Pillon, Canadian actress
- 1979 - David Dunn, English footballer
- 1979 - Carson Palmer, American football player
- 1979 - Jacqueline Pillon, Canadian actress
- 1980 - Claudio Castagnoli, Swiss wrestler
- 1980 - Cas Haley, American singer and guitarist
- 1981 - Emilie de Ravin, Australian actress
- 1982 - James Mead, American guitarist (Kutless)
- 1982 - Terji Skibenæs, Faroese guitarist, (Týr)
- 1983 - Cole Hamels, American baseball player
- 1984 - Gilles Simon, French tennis player
- 1988 - Hayley Williams, American Singer (Paramore)
- 418 - Zosimus, Greek pope
- 1076 - Prince Svyatoslav II of Kiev (b. 1027)
- 1381 - Edmund Mortimer, English politician
- 1548 - Francesco Spiera, Italian Protestant jurist (b. 1502)
- 1603 - Thomas Cartwright, English Puritan clergyman
- 1707 - Jean Mabillon, French palaeograopher and diplomat (b. 1632)
- 1737 - William Bowyer, English printer (b. 1663)
- 1743 - Hyacinthe Rigaud, French painter (b. 1659)
- 1771 - Henri Pitot, French engineer (b. 1695)
- 1782 - Henry Home, Scottish philosopher (b. 1697)
- 1800 - Hugh Blair, Scottish preacher and man of letters (b. 1718)
- 1812 - Shneur Zalman of Liadi, Lithuanian rabbi and founder of Chabad Hasidism (b. 1745)
- 1812 - Joanna Southcott, an English self-described religious prophetess.
- 1834 - Charles Lamb, English essayist (b. 1775)
- 1836 - Stephen F. Austin, American pioneer (b. 1793)
- 1858 - Alexandre Pierre François Boëly, French composer (b. 1785)
- 1896 - John Brown, British manufacturer (b. 1816)
- 1900 - William George Armstrong, English inventor, industrialist, and engineer (b. 1810)
- 1914 - Charles Martin Hall, American chemist and inventor (b. 1863)
- 1923 - Gustave Eiffel, French engineer and architect (b. 1832)
- 1925 - Sergei Yesenin, Russian poet (b. 1895)
- 1938 - Calvin Bridges, American geneticist (b. 1889)
- 1938 - Osip Mandelstam, Russian poet (b. 1891)
- 1950 - Max Beckmann, German painter (b. 1884)
- 1952 - Patrick Joseph Hartigan, Australian Roman Catholic priest (b. 1878)
- 1953 - Julian Tuwim, Polish poet (b. 1894)
- 1955 - Alfred Francis Blakeney Carpenter, English soldier (b. 1881)
- 1956 - Lambert McKenna, Irish editor and lexicographer. (b. 1870)
- 1965 - Edgar Ende, German painter (b. 1901)
- 1966 - Guillermo Stábile, Argentine footballer (b. 1906)
- 1972 - Lester B. Pearson, fourteenth Prime Minister of Canada, recipient of the 1957 Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1897)
- 1974 - Vladimir Aleksandrovich Fock, Russian physicist (b. 1898)
- 1978 - Bob Luman, American country and rockabilly singer (b. 1937)
- 1978 - Houari Boumédienne, President of Algeria (b. 1932)
- 1981 - Hoagy Carmichael, American composer and singer (b. 1899)
- 1982 - John Swigert, American astronaut (b. 1931)
- 1985 - Dian Fossey, American Zoologist (b. 1932)
- 1987 - Geoffrey D Lloyd, Chairman of the guild of British Newspaper editors (b. 1933)
- 1988 - Hal Ashby, American film director (b. 1929)
- 1992 - Kay Boyle, American writer (b. 1902)
- 1993 - André Pilette, Belgian racing driver (b. 1918)
- 1995 - Shura Cherkassky, Ukrainian classical pianist (b. 1909)
- 1997 - Brendan Gill, American columnist and humorist (b. 1914)
- 1997 - Billy Wright, Irish Protestant paramilitary leader (b. 1960)
- 2002 - George Roy Hill, American film director (b. 1922)
- 2003 - Alan Bates, English actor (b. 1934)
- 2003 - Ivan Calderon, Puerto Rican Major League Baseball player (murdered) (b. 1962)
- 2004 - Hank Garland, American musician (b. 1930)
- 2005 - William Doody, Canadian politician (b. 1931)
Holidays and observances
106 Familypedia people were born on December 27
130 Familypedia people died on December 27
109 Familypedia people were first married on December 27