Elnathan Brigham was born 7 March 1683 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts to Thomas Brigham (1641-1717) and Mary Rice (1646-1695) and died 10 April 1758 Mansfield, Tolland County, Connecticut of unspecified causes. He married Bethiah Ward (1681-1765) 17 June 1705 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
Deacon Elnathan Brigham, b. Mar. 7, 1682/3 at Marlborough, Middlesex, MA. He was one of 8 children of Thomas Brigham (Mar. 9, 1641-Nov. 25, 1717) and Mary Rice (Sept. 19, 1646-May 1695). Elnathan's wife, who is buried next to him, was Bethiah Ward, his 1st cousin, b. also at Marlborough, dau. of William Ward and Hannah Brigham.
Inscription: In Memory of Decon Elnathan Brigham Who died April ye 10th AD 1758 in ye 76th Year of his Age.
On the day Elnathan died he was 75 years old, and Ætatis (i.e., Æ, "Aged," in the XX year of his Age) 76.
Burial: Pink Cemetery Mansfield City Tolland County Connecticut, USA
Marriage & Family
Elnathan Brigham and Bethiah Ward m. June 17, 1705 at Marborough, MA, with Elnathan's name errantly written as "(Jo)nathan" Brigham in the printed marriage record. They had seven children; the first five b. of record at Marlborough and the youngest two at Mansfield, Conn. after the family relocated to Conn.
- Uriah, b. Apr. 3, 1706 at Marlborough, MA and d. there an infant July 9, 1710.
- Priscilla, b. Apr. 3, 1709; m. Jan. 2, 1725/6 at Coventry, Conn., Matthias Marsh. Four children recorded at Coventry, but likely others due to the years of birth betw. the two youngest and two oldest recorded children.
- Dinah, b. Aug. 31, 1711 and d. unm. Feb. 2, 1737/8 at Coventry, Conn.
- Prudence b. Jan. 28, 1714/5; d. an infant at Marlborough Feb. 3, 1714/5.
- Lieut. Elnathan Jr., b. Apr. 7, 1716 and d. Sept. 2, 1802 at Mansfield, Conn.; m. 1) Mar. 12, 1741/2, Eunice Merrick and 2) Mar. 3, 1751/2, Hannah Crosswell.
- Paul, b. June 30, 1718 at Mansfield, Conn.; d. May 3, 1746 at Coventry, Conn; m. July 1, 1741 at Coventry, Catherine Turner, who m. 2) Oct. 18, 1750 at Coventry, Benjamin Carpenter (Benjamin,4-3 William,2-1) of the Rehoboth, Mass. Carpenters.
- Uriah, b. Nov. 3, 1722 at Mansfield (bapt. Jan. 16, 1722/3) and d. Jan. 25, 1777 at Coventry, Conn.; m. 1) May 22, 1745 at Coventry, Lydia Ward, and 2) May 28, 1754 at Coventry, Anne Richardson, dau. of Amos Richardson and Rachel Yarrington of Coventry.
|Uriah Brigham (1706-1710)|
|Jerusha Brigham (1707-)|
|Priscilla Brigham (1709-1774)|
|Desiah Brigham (1712-1737)|
|Levinah Brigham (1711-1749)||31 August 1711 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts||8 March 1749 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts||John Fay (1669-1747)|
|Prudence Brigham (1715-1715)|
|Elnathan Brigham (1716-1802)|
|Paul Brigham (1718-1746)||18 June 1718 Mansfield, Tolland County, Connecticut||3 May 1746 Coventry, Tolland County, Connecticut||Catherine Turner (1718-1779)|
|Uriah Brigham (1722-1777)|
- Note: The above annotated data is chiefly from Vol. One of "The History of the Brigham Family." It includes a purported dau. named Jerusha, who "married 1729, Benjamin Robinson of Windham, Conn..." This is an error. Benjamin Robinson (Peter, Isaac, Rev. John), b. Feb. 23, 1703/4 at Tisbury, Mass., m. Jerusha BINGHAM, dau. of Capt Samuel Bingham and Faith Ripley (Hannah [Joshua Ripley], Maj. Wm., Gov. Wm. Bradford), b. Feb. 2, 1708/9 at Windham, Conn.