|February 26 in recent years
February 26 is the 57th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 308 days remaining until the end of the year (309 in leap years).
- 747 BC - Epoch (origin) of Ptolemy's Nabonassar Era.
- 364 - Valentinian I is proclaimed Roman Emperor.
- 1266 - Battle of Benevento: An army led by Charles, Count of Anjou, defeats a combined German and Sicilian force led by King Manfred of Sicily. Manfred is killed in the battle and Pope Clement IV invests Charles as king of Sicily and Naples.
- 1794 - Christiansborg Castle, Copenhagen burns down.
- 1797 - The Bank of England issues the first one-pound and two-pound notes.
- 1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from Elba.
- 1848 - The second French Republic is proclaimed.
- 1863 - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln signs the National Banking Act into law.
- 1870 - In New York City, the first pneumatic-subway opens.
- 1885 - The Berlin Act, which resulted from the Berlin Conference regulating European colonization and trade in Africa, was signed
- 1887 - At the SCG, George Lohmann becomes the first bowler to take eight wickets in a Test innings.
- 1897 - Sigma Pi Fraternity, International was founded at Vincennes University.
- 1917 - The Original Dixieland Jass Band records the first ever Jazzrecord for the Victor Talking Machine Company in New York.
- 1919 - An act of the U.S. Congress establishes most of the Grand Canyon as a United States National Park (see Grand Canyon National Park).
- 1929 - The Grand Teton National Park is created.
- 1935 - The Luftwaffe is reformed.
- 1935 - The Daventry Experiment, Robert Watson-Watt carried out a demonstration near Daventry which led directly to the development of RADAR in the United Kingdom.
- 1936 - In the February 26 Incident, young Japanese military officers attempt to stage a coup against the government.
- 1952 - United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill announces that his nation has an atomic bomb.
- 1966 - Apollo Program: Launch of AS-201, the first flight of the Saturn IB rocket
- 1970 - National Public Radio incorporates as a non-profit corporation.
- 1971 - Secretary-General U Thant signs United Nations proclamation of the vernal equinox as Earth Day.
- 1972 - Buffalo Creek Flood caused by a burst dam kills 125 in West Virginia.
- 1984 - US troops withdraw from Beirut. President Ronald Reagan had sent the troops as a peacekeeping force in August 1982.
- 1986 - People Power Revolution in the Philippines.
- 1987 - Iran-Contra affair: The Tower Commission rebukes American President Ronald Reagan for not controlling his national security staff.
- 1990 - The Sandinistas are defeated in Nicaraguan elections.
- 1991 - Tim Berners-Lee introduces WorldWideWeb, the first web browser.
- 1991 - Gulf War: On Baghdad Radio Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein announces the withdrawal of Iraqi troops from Kuwait.
- 1361 - Wenceslaus, King of Bohemia (d. 1419)
- 1564 - Christopher Marlowe, English dramatist (d. 1593)
- 1587 - Stefano Landi, Italian composer (d. 1639)
- 1671 - Anthony Ashley-Cooper, English politician and philosopher (d. 1713)
- 1672 - Antoine Augustine Calmet, French theologian (d. 1757)
- 1714 - James Hervey, English clergyman and writer (d. 1758)
- 1715 - Claude Adrien Helvétius, French philosopher (d. 1771)
- 1720 - Gian Francesco Albani, Italian Catholic cardinal (d. 1803)
- 1746 - Archduchess Marie Amalie of Austria, duchess of Piacenza (d. 1806)
- 1748 - Jeremy Bentham, English jurist (d. 1832)
- 1786 - François Arago, French mathematician (d. 1853)
- 1799 - Émile Clapeyron, French engineer and physicist (d. 1864)
- 1802 - Victor Hugo, French writer (d. 1885)
- 1808 - Honoré Daumier, French painter, illustrator, and sculptor (d. 1879)
- 1814 - Charles Joseph Sainte-Claire Deville, French geologist (d. 1876)
- 1829 - Levi Strauss, German-born clothing designer (d. 1902)
- 1846 - William F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody, American pioneer, officer, and hunter (d. 1917)
- 1852 - John Harvey Kellogg, American surgeon, advocate of dietary reform (d. 1943 )
- 1857 - Émile Coué, French psychologist (d. 1926)
- 1858 - Vladimir Serbsky, Russian psychiatrist (d. 1917)
- 1861 - King Ferdinand of Bulgaria (d. 1948)
- 1861 - Nadezhda Konstantinovna Krupskaya, Russian revolutionary, Lenin's wife (d. 1939)
- 1879 - Frank Bridge, English composer (d. 1941)
- 1882 - Husband E. Kimmel, American admiral (d. 1968)
- 1885 - Aleksandras Stulginskis, President of Lithuania (d. 1969)
- 1887 - Grover Cleveland Alexander, American baseball player (d. 1950)
- 1887 - William Frawley, American actor (d. 1966)
- 1893 - I. A. Richards, English literary critic (d. 1979)
- 1899 - Max Petitpierre, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1994)
- 1902 - Jean Bruller, alias Vercors, French writer and illustrator (d. 1991)
- 1903 - Giulio Natta, Italian chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1979)
- 1906 - Madeleine Carroll, English actress (d. 1987)
- 1907 - Dub Taylor, American actor (d. 1994)
- 1908 - Tex Avery, American cartoonist (d. 1980)
- 1908 - Jean-Pierre Wimille, French race car driver (d. 1949)
- 1909 - King Talal of Jordan (d. 1972)
- 1911 - Tarō Okamoto, Japanese avant-garde artist (d. 1996)
- 1912 - Dane Clark, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1914 - Robert Alda, American actor (d. 1986)
- 1916 - Jackie Gleason, American actor, writer, composer, and comedian (d. 1987)
- 1918 - Otis Ray Bowen, American politician and physician
- 1918 - Theodore Sturgeon, American writer (d. 1985)
- 1919 - Mason Adams, American actor (d. 2005)
- 1919 - Rie Mastenbroek, Dutch swimmer (d. 2003)
- 1920 - Danny Gardella, American baseball player (d. 2005)
- 1920 - Tony Randall, American actor (d. 2004)
- 1920 - Lucjan Wolanowski, Polish journalist, writer and traveller (d. 2006)
- 1921 - Betty Hutton, American actress and singer (d. 2007)
- 1922 - Margaret Leighton, British actress (d. 1976)
- 1926 - Miroslava Stern, Mexican actress (d. 1955)
- 1927 - Tom Kennedy, American game show host
- 1928 - Fats Domino, American musician
- 1928 - Anatoli Filipchenko, Soviet cosmonaut
- 1928 - Monique Leyrac, French Canadian singer and actress
- 1930 - Lazar Berman, Russian pianist (d. 2005)
- 1931 - Ally McLeod, Scottish footballer and manager (d. 2004)
- 1932 - Johnny Cash, American singer (d. 2003)
- 1934 - Robert Novak, American political columnist
- 1937 - Hagood Hardy, Canadian musician and composer (d. 1997)
- 1938 - Evagoras Pallikarides, Cypriot freedom fighter (d. 1957)
- 1941 - Tony Ray-Jones, British photographer (d. 1972)
- 1943 - Bill Duke, American actor and director
- 1945 - Peter Brock, Australian motorsports champion (d. 2006)
- 1945 - Bob Hite, American singer and harmonicist (Canned Heat) (d. 1981)
- 1945 - Marta Kristen, Norwegian actress
- 1945 - Mitch Ryder, American musician (The Detroit Wheels)
- 1946 - Ahmed H. Zewail, Egyptian chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1947 - Sandie Shaw, English singer
- 1949 - Emma Kirkby, British early music singer
- 1950 - Helen Clark, Prime Minister of New Zealand
- 1951 - Lee Atwater, American political operative (d. 1991)
- 1953 - Michael Bolton, American singer
- 1954 - Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Prime Minister of Turkey
- 1956 - Keisuke Kuwata, Japanese singer
- 1957 - David Muldrow Beasley, American politician
- 1957 - Joe Mullen, American ice hockey player
- 1958 - Michel Houellebecq, French novelist
- 1959 - Rolando Blackman, American basketball player
- 1960 - Jaz Coleman, British musician
- 1962 - Greg Germann, American actor
- 1966 - Najwa Karam, Lebanese singer
- 1968 - Ed Quinn, American Actor
- 1968 - J.T. Snow, American baseball player
- 1969 - Hitoshi Sakimoto, Japanese composer
- 1971 - Erykah Badu, American singer
- 1971 - Max Martin, Swedish composer and producer
- 1971 - Hélène Ségara, French singer
- 1973 - Marshall Faulk, American football player
- 1973 - Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Norwegian footballer
- 1973 - Jenny Thompson, American swimmer
- 1974 - Sébastien Loeb, French rally driver
- 1976 - Nikolaos Siranidis, Greek diver
- 1977 - Marty Reasoner, American ice hockey player
- 1977 - Shane Williams, Welsh International Rugby Player
- 1977 - Josh Towers, American baseball player
- 1978 - Abdoulaye Diagne-Faye, Senegalese footballer
- 1978 - Marc Hynes, British racing driver
- 1978 - John Tartaglia, Broadway performer and "Muppeteer"
- 1979 - Corinne Bailey Rae, English singer
- 1979 - Mariano Bainotti, Argentine racing driver
- 1979 - Pedro Mendes, Portuguese footballer
- 1980 - Alex Fong, Hong Kong singer
- 1980 - Gary Majewski, American baseball player
- 1980 - Leela Majumdar, Bengali writer
- 1981 - Kertus Davis, American NASCAR driver
- 1981 - Johnathan Wendel, American professional video gamer
- 1982 - Song Hye Kyo, South Korean model and actress
- 1983 - Kara Monaco, American model
- 1983 - Varick Pyr, Hip-Hop artist
- 1984 - Emmanuel Adebayor, Togolese footballer
- 1984 - Natalia Lafourcade, Mexican singer
- 1985 - Alexandria Hilfiger, American actress, daughter of Tommy Hilfiger
- 1986 - Crystal Kay, Japanese singer
- 1987 - Julia Bond, American adult actress
- 1993 - Taylor Dooley, American actress
- 1154 - King Roger II of Sicily (b. 1093)
- 1200 - Symeon, former Serbian ruler and saint
- 1266 - King Manfred of Sicily
- 1360 - Roger Mortimer, English military leader (b. 1328)
- 1525 - Cuauhtémoc, Aztec ruler
- 1552 - Heinrich Faber, German composer
- 1561 - Jorge de Montemayor, Spanish writer
- 1577 - King Eric XIV of Sweden (b. 1533)
- 1608 - John Still, English bishop
- 1630 - William Brade, English composer (b. 1560)
- 1638 - Claude Gaspard Bachet de Méziriac, French mathematician (b. 1681)
- 1723 - Thomas d'Urfey, English writer (b. 1653)
- 1726 - Maximilian II Emanuel (b. 1662)
- 1770 - Giuseppe Tartini, Italian composer (b. 1692)
- 1802 - Esek Hopkins, American Revolutionary War admiral (b. 1718)
- 1813 - Robert Livingston, American signer of the Declaration of Independence (b. 1746)
- 1815 - Prince Josias of Coburg, Austrian general (b. 1737)
- 1821 - Joseph de Maistre, Savoyard diplomat and writer (b. 1753)
- 1864 - Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine, French Canadian politician (b. 1807)
- 1883 - Alexandros Koumoundouros, Greek politician, Prime Minister of Greece (b. 1817)
- 1889 - Karl Davydov, Russian cellist (b. 1838)
- 1903 - Richard Jordan Gatling, American inventor (b. 1818)
- 1913 - Felix Draeseke, German composer (b. 1835)
- 1921 - Carl Menger, Austrian economist (b. 1840)
- 1931 - Otto Wallach, German chemist, Nobel laureate (b. 1847)
- 1933 - Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX of Denmark (b. 1853)
- 1947 - Heinrich Häberlin, Swiss politician, member of the Federal Council (b. 1868)
- 1950 - Sir Harry Lauder, Scottish Music Hall Entertainer, Knighted for WWI War Work (b. 1870)
- 1961 - King Mohammed V of Morocco (b. 1909)
- 1966 - Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, Indian freedom fighter and writer (b. 1883)
- 1969 - Levi Eshkol, Prime Minister of Israel (b. 1895)
- 1969 - Karl Jaspers, German psychiatrist (b. 1883)
- 1971 - Fernandel, French actor (b. 1903)
- 1981 - Howard Hanson, American composer (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Robert Aickman, English writer and conservationist (b. 1914)
- 1985 - Tjalling Koopmans, Dutch economist, Nobel laureate (b. 1910)
- 1989 - Roy Eldridge, American musician (b. 1911)
- 1990 - Cornell Gunter, American singer (The Coasters) (b. 1938)
- 1993 - Constance Ford, American actress (b. 1923)
- 1994 - Bill Hicks, American comedian (b. 1961)
- 1995 - Jack Clayton, British film director (b. 1921)
- 1997 - David Doyle, American actor (b. 1929)
- 1998 - Theodore Schultz, American economist, Nobel laureate (b. 1902)
- 2000 - George L. Street III American Navy Submariner (b. 1913)
- 2001 - Arturo Uslar Pietri, Venezuelan writer (b. 1906)
- 2001 - Sir Donald Bradman, Australian cricket player (b. 1908)
- 2002 - Lawrence Tierney, American actor (b. 1919)
- 2003 - Christian Goethals, Belgian racing driver (b. 1928)
- 2004 - Shankarrao Chavan, Indian politician (b. 1920)
- 2004 - Adolf Ehrnrooth, Finnish general (b. 1905)
- 2004 - Boris Trajkovski, President of the Republic of Macedonia (b. 1956)
- 2005 - Jef Raskin, American computer scientist (b. 1943)
Holidays and observances
89 Familypedia people were born on February 26
120 Familypedia people died on February 26
79 Familypedia people were first married on February 26