What are we going to use for people who have their own category? Such as Category:George H. W. Bush. I see there are two categories:
Both of these categories are the exact same thing. Which one do we use? Or, should we use a whole different one? When I read the title of the first one, I would never know what the purpose of that category is. The second one makes a little more sense, but i don't like the "named after" part. I suggest:
- Category:People with categories or something like that. -AMK152(talk • contribs) 14:48, 10 July 2008 (UTC)
- They were not the exact same thing five minutes ago, and they never should be.
- See Commons:Category:People by alphabet, which has subcategories named after people but also has hundreds of individuals in DEFAULTSORT order. Ours has cats named after individuals but also media that are not categories; if we bothered to fill it with articles for individuals we would have thousands of individuals and find such a category a bit unusable, but some user (possibly a bot) could get some use out of it. If in doubt, leave it alone - that's my motto.
- "Named after" is a completely accurate description. I would not be in favour of changing it unless a clearly better name could be found. Maybe "People with their own categories", but even that is ambiguous. If we had a category "Contributors living in Plimmerton", that would be my own category until a neighbour joined in! Robin Patterson 03:53, 11 July 2008 (UTC)
- Well if Category:People by alphabet is useful for a bot to list categories of people, what do we use Category:Categories named after people for? Or was I correct before. Or is the second category for people to categorize manually? Or something like that? -AMK152(talk • contribs) 11:23, 11 July 2008 (UTC)
- Category:Categories named after people can continue to be used as it has been and as its name suggests; it is the one, clear answer to your first two questions at the start of this forum. It may tie in with an idea I floated many months ago, that we could have categories for all individuals, subcategories of their parents' categories.
Category:People by alphabet may have more than one use. Wikipedia had a category with that name but deleted it in May 2007. There may be unforeseen uses related to our eventual expansion of surname articles. You could check the page history of its constituent pages, and see whether you could talk to people who have used it. And/or talk to people at Commons who use theirs. Or leave it alone for contributors who may find it useful now and in future. Robin Patterson 00:40, 12 July 2008 (UTC)