- Familypedia moves up a gear with a state-of-the-art query system. Still in its infancy - where it says "all people" it means "all people with info on this database". Anyone can increase their number! Just imagine the possibilities for your genealogy searches.
- Semantic MediaWiki/demo query-subquery - Genealogy
- Source: genealogy.wikia.com
- Subquery query example: Lists all people born in New South Wales whose father was born in the 1750s:
Thank you, Phlox. And another big thank-you to your family for letting you spend time here.
Please use Forum:SMW rather than any user's talk page, so that we can all share in the answers easily.
Standard(s) to be adjusted
(from User:Thurstan's talk page) Your shortcut <!-- see husband's page for kids --> is causing problems with the tests for inbreeding and descent. rtol 13:49, 18 May 2009 (UTC)
- Well, the standard actually says that the kids should (only) be on the father's page. I agree with that: it is a pain to update if they are repeated on both father's and mother's page. Thurstan 05:50, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- Fortunately, the standard was applied to two handfuls of pages only. rtol 07:22, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- That's an info page standard that is interfering with some SMW procedure, right? How does a "shortcut" comment affect them (apart from doing just what the standard does, i.e. discouraging duplication)? I expect SMW can give us "unions" that have parents and children all attached one way or another (which they are in a GEDCOM), so that you won't need the info page set of children. Some time ago (before either of you were prominent here) I suggested that the wiki might consider having a type of page for a couple and their children, and that each person page could be a category, a subcategory of each parent's category. SMW may give us one or both of those, indirectly. Early days yet! How important are the tests for inbreeding and descent? — Robin Patterson (Talk) 11:03, 19 May 2009 (UTC)
- The tests for descent and inbreeding look at both father and mother. If mother does not have any children, the test will fail. The alternatives are
- store kids with both mum and dad
- add a nest to the SMW query to pick mum's kids from dad's info page
- store kids with couple
- Neither option 1 nor option 2 is much work, but option 2 considerably restricts the power and performance of SMW. rtol 11:54, 19 May 2009 (UTC)