Images from other wikis
What is the deal with Images? Should we just be copying stuff over from commons that we need for articles? EG- I moved a Jefferson WP DNA article over, but and it has a commons image that I can move over, but none of the licensing templates are over.
- Or will there be a separate wikia analogous to Commons?
- Or will there later be support for Commons images like the way how in WP can just use Image: to any commons image?
- Are Commons vetted images considered fair game- move them over as needed especially if required as part of a WP article move?
- Any storage considerations? Should they be derezzed for better storage?
- Should we just copy over the Licensing templates?
- Any Template like Template:enWP that we should use for commons?
If no comments, I will just do the "be bold" thang and proceed using my best guess. -Mak 22:47, 4 September 2007 (UTC)
Robin's responses, roughly in the same order
We are totally free to upload PD or GFDL (and presumably some other "free" ) images from Commons or Wikipedia or anywhere else; but (a) we can't use SVG; and (b) there is at present (AFAIK) no nice system for incorporating them just by naming them as on Wikipedia, and there probably never will be for Commons because we would be stealing bandwidth; Wikia Commons is a nice idea but the nearest thing so far is the Starter Wikia. Robin Patterson 13:32, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
No storage considerations AFAIK; but what is "derezzed"?. Robin Patterson 13:32, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
Wikia has versions of a dozen licenses - best to copy from http://starter.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Copyright_tags (or ask at Central Wikia) if we don't have the one you want. See Help:Image copyright tags - which looks as if it has everything on Starter Wikia but I'm not certain. Robin Patterson 13:32, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
Tell me if anything hasn't been fully answered. Robin Patterson 13:32, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- That's all I need. I know my way around the commons licenses and after I move a few I may have an opinion about the ones we have here.
- Derezzed/Downrezzing means converting from an original resolution to some smaller size for purposes of storage or bandwidth saving. It is also commonly used in video circles- eg FCC prohibitted downresolution of local HD broacasts by cable companies.
- Curious about SVG. I don't really care, and I moved over a map converting it to a JPG really because I was too lazy to dust off the SVG editor. But is this a temporary situation or permanent, and can you direct me to any page describing the reasons/ issues? Or give me the skinny on it? -Mak 16:56, 5 September 2007 (UTC)