Henry Adams was born 21 January 1583 in Barton St David, Somerset, England, United Kingdom to Richard Adams (1555-1605) and Agnes Stone (1555-1616) and died 8 October 1646 Braintree, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States of unspecified causes. He married Edith Squire (1587-1673) 19 October 1609 in Charlton Makrell, Somerset, England, United Kingdom.
Early New England Immigrant (circa 1638) settled in Braintree, Massachusetts which was named for his English birthplace. Great, great grandfather to President John Adams
- Son of Richard Adams (1555-1605) and Agnes Stone (1555-1616)
- 1583-Jan-21 :Birth at Barton St David, Somerset, England
- 1609-Oct-19 : Marriage to Edith Squire at Charlton, Somerset, England
- 1638 : Immigration to Massachusetts Bay Colony
- 1646-Oct-08 : Died at Braintree, Norfolk, MA
Henry Adams came to America from England about 1634 with his wife, eight sons, and one daughter, and settled at Mount Wollaston (subsequently named Braintree, Massachusetts). Here on February 24, 1639-1640, the town of Boston granted him forty acres of land for the ten persons then composing his family, and he continued there until his death.
The inscription placed upon the column erected to his memory by his great- great- grandson, John Adams, second President of The United States, reads as follows: "In memory of Henry Adams, who took his flight from the Dragon persecution , in Devonshire in England, and alighted with eight sons near Mt. Wollaston. One of the sons returned to England; and after taking time to explore the country, four removed to Medfield and the neighboring towns, and two to Chelmsford.
One only, Joseph who lies here at his left hand, remained here, who was an original Proprietor in the township of Braintree, incorporated 1639. "This stone and several others have been placed in this yard by a great-great-grandson, from a veneration of the peity, humility, simplicity, prudence, patience ,temperance, frugality, and perseverance of his ancestors, in hopes of recommending an imitation of their virtues to their posterity."
Marriage and Family
- Henry Adams (1609-1676) - immigrated to MA, killed in King Philip's War during indian raid on Medfield MA.
- Jonathan Adams (1620-1690) - immgrated to MA at a later date than rest of family.
- Thomas Adams (1612-1688) - immigrated to MA
- Samuel Adams (1617-1688) - immigrated to MA
- Ursula Adams (1619-1679) - immigrated to MA
- Peter Adams (1622-1690) - immigrated to MA
- John Adams (1622-1706) - immigrated to MA
- Mary Adams (1625-1711) - immigrated to MA
- Edward Adams (1629-1716) - immigrated to MA
- Jane Adams (1624-1654) - immigrated to MA
- Joseph Adams (1626-1694) - immigrated to MA