|— Department —|
|Prefecture building of the Indre department, in Châteauroux|
|• President of the General Council||Louis Pinton|
|• Total||6,791 km2 (2,622 sq mi)|
|• Density||34/km2 (88/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2|
Indre is one of the original 83 departments created during the French Revolution on 4 March 1790. It was created from part of the former province of Berry.
The President of the General Council is Louis Pinton of the Union for a Popular Movement.
|•||Union for a Popular Movement||8|
The Indre has two villages classified among the most beautiful villages of France: Saint-Benoît-du-Sault and Gargilesse-Dampierre.
- Cantons of the Indre department
- Communes of the Indre department
- Arrondissements of the Indre department
- Media related to Indre (department) at Wikimedia Commons
- (French) Prefecture website
- (French) General Council website
- (English) Indre at the Open Directory Project
- (French) http://www.indrenature.net/