|June 30 in recent years
June 30 is the 181st day of the year (182nd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 184 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 350 - Roman usurper Nepotianus, of the Constantinian dynasty, is defeated and killed by troops of the usurper Magnentius, in Rome.
- 1422 - Battle of Arbedo between the duke of Milan and the Swiss cantons.
- 1520 - The Spaniards are expelled from Tenochtitlan.
- 1559 - King Henry II of France is seriously injured in a jousting match against Gabriel de Montgomery.
- 1651 - The Battle of Beresteczko ends with a Polish victory.
- 1688 - The Immortal Seven issue the Invitation to William, beginning the struggle for English independence from Rome which would culminate in the Glorious Revolution.
- 1758 - Seven Years' War: Battle of Domstadtl.
- 1805 - The U.S. Congress organizes Michigan Territory.
- 1859 - French acrobat Charles Blondin crosses Niagara Falls on a tightrope.
- 1864 - U.S. President Abraham Lincoln grants Yosemite Valley to California for "public use, resort and recreation."
- 1882 - Charles Guiteau hanged in Washington for the shooting death of President James Garfield.
- 1886 - The first transcontinental train trip across Canada departs from Montreal. It arrives in Port Moody on July 4 of the same year.
- 1905 - Albert Einstein publishes the article "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies", where he introduces special relativity.
- 1906 - The United States Congress passes the Meat Inspection Act and Pure Food and Drug Act.
- 1908 - The Tunguska impact event occurs in Siberia.
- 1912 - The Regina Cyclone hits Regina, killing 28. It remains Canada's deadliest tornado event.
- 1921 - U.S. President Warren G. Harding appoints former President William Howard Taft chief justice of the United States.
- 1934 - The Night of the Long Knives, Adolf Hitler's violent purge of his political rivals in Germany, takes place.
- 1935 - The Senegalese Socialist Party holds its first congress.
- 1944 - The Battle of Cherbourg ends with the fall of the strategically valuable port to American forces.
- 1952 - The Guiding Light airs on television for the first time.
- 1953 - The first Chevrolet Corvette rolls off the assembly line in Flint, Michigan.
- 1956 - A TWA Super Constellation and a United Airlines DC-7 (Flight 718) collide above the Grand Canyon in Arizona, United States, killing all 128 on the two planes.
- 1960 - Congo gains independence from Belgium.
- 1963 - Ciaculli massacre: a car bomb, intended for Mafia boss Salvatore Greco, kills seven police and military officers near Palermo.
- 1969 - Nigeria bans Red Cross aid to Biafra.
- 1971 - The crew of the Soviet Soyuz 11 spacecraft are killed when their air supply escapes through a faulty valve.
- 1971 - Ohio ratifies the 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, lowering the voting age to 18, thereby putting the amendment into effect.
- 1972 - +1 leap second was added to the UTC time system.
- 1977 - Virginia Wade wins the Ladies Singles title at Wimbledon, the last British champion at the All England Club to date.
- 1985 - Thirty-nine American hostages from a hijacked TWA jetliner are freed in Beirut after being held for 17 days.
- 1986 - The U.S. Supreme Court rules that states could outlaw homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- 1987 - The Royal Canadian Mint introduces the $1 coin, known as the Loonie
- 1988 - French archbishop Marcel Lefebvre is excommunicated by the Catholic church.
- 1990 - East and West Germany merge their economies.
- 1992 - Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher joins the House of Lords as Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven.
- 1997 - First Harry Potter book is published.
- 1997 - The United Kingdom transfers sovereignty over Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China.
- 2005 - Spain legalizes same-sex marriage.
- 2007 - A car crashes into Glasgow International Airport in Scotland, believed to be a terrorist attack.
- 1286 - John de Warenne, English politician (d. 1347)
- 1470 - Charles VIII of France (d. 1498)
- 1503 - John Frederick (d. 1554)
- 1641 - Meinhardt Schomberg, Irish general (d. 1719)
- 1685 - John Gay, British writer (d. 1732)
- 1755 - Paul François Jean Nicolas Barras, French politician (d. 1829)
- 1789 - Horace Vernet, French painter and graphic artist (d. 1863)
- 1803 - Thomas Lovell Beddoes, English poet (d. 1849)
- 1807 - Friedrich Theodor von Vischer, German narrator, lyricist, and philosopher (d. 1887)
- 1817 - Joseph Dalton Hooker, British botanist (d. 1911)
- 1823 - Dinshaw Maneckji Petit, Indian industrialist (d. 1901)
- 1843 - Ernest Mason Satow, British diplomat (d. 1929)
- 1884 - Georges Duhamel, French author (d. 1966)
- 1891 - Man Mountain Dean, American professional wrestler (d. 1953)
- 1891 - Ed "Strangler" Lewis, American professional wrestler (d. 1966)
- 1892 - Oswald Pohl, German Nazi leader (d. 1951)
- 1893 - Walter Ulbricht, German politician (d. 1973)
- 1899 - Madge Bellamy, American actress (d. 1990)
- 1899 - Harry Shields, American jazz clarinetist (d. 1971)
- 1906 - Ralph Allen, English footballer (d. 1981)
- 1906 - Anthony Mann, American film actor and director (d. 1967)
- 1908 - Winston Graham, British writer (d. 2003)
- 1911 - Czesław Miłosz, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2004)
- 1912 - Ludwig Bölkow, German aeronautical engineer (d. 2003)
- 1912 - Dan Reeves - Owner of the Cleveland/Los Angeles Rams (d. 1971)
- 1913 - Harry Wismer, owner of the New York Jets (d. 1967)
- 1913 - Alfonso López Michelsen, 32nd Colombian President (d. 2007)
- 1917 - Susan Hayward, American actress (d. 1975)
- 1917 - Lena Horne, American actress and singer
- 1919 - Ed Yost, American inventor (d. 2007)
- 1926 - Paul Berg, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1929 - James Goldman, American screenwriter (d. 1998)
- 1931 - Bert Eriksson, Flemish neo-Nazi (d. 2005)
- 1931 - Andrew Hill, American jazz pianist (d. 2007)
- 1933 - Lea Massari, Italian actress
- 1933 - Orval Tessier, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1934 - Harry Blackstone Jr., American magician (d. 1997)
- 1936 - Nancy Dussault, American actress
- 1936 - Dave Van Ronk, American folk singer/songwriter (d. 2002)
- 1938 - Apostolos Nikolaidis, Greek singer (d. 1999)
- 1939 - José Emilio Pacheco, Mexican poet
- 1940 - Mark Spoelstra, American folksinger (d. 2007)
- 1941 - Peter Pollock, South African cricket player
- 1942 - Robert Ballard, Oceanographer
- 1942 - Ron Harris, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1943 - Florence Ballard, American singer (The Supremes) (d. 1976)
- 1944 - Raymond Moody, American parapsychologist
- 1944 - Terry Funk, American professional wrestler
- 1944 - Ron Swoboda, American baseball player
- 1950 - Leonard Whiting, British actor
- 1951 - Stanley Clarke, American musician
- 1952 - David Garrison, Broadway and television actor
- 1952 - Athanassios S. Fokas, Greek mathematician
- 1953 - Hal Lindes, British-American musician (Dire Straits)
- 1954 - Pierre Charles, Prime Minister of Dominica (d. 2004)
- 1955 - David Alan Grier, American actor and comedian
- 1957 - Sterling Marlin, American Nascar driver
- 1958 - Esa-Pekka Salonen, Finnish conductor and composer
- 1959 - Vincent D'Onofrio, American actor
- 1959 - Brendan Perry, British musician (Dead Can Dance)
- 1960 - Murray Cook, Australian children's singer (The Wiggles)
- 1962 - Tony Fernandez, Dominican baseball player
- 1963 - Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Swedish guitarist
- 1964 - Alexandra Christina Manley, Former Danish princess, now countess
- 1965 - Mitch Richmond, American basketball player
- 1965 - Steve Duchesne, French Canadian ice hockey player
- 1965 - Gary Pallister, former English football player (Manchester United)
- 1966 - Mike Tyson, American former boxer
- 1966 - Marton Csokas, New Zealand actor
- 1968 - Philip Anselmo, American musician
- 1969 - Sanath Jayasuriya, Sri Lankan cricketer
- 1970 - Mark Grudzielanek, baseball player
- 1971 - Anette Michel, Mexican actress
- 1971 - Monica Potter, American actress
- 1972 - James Martin, English celebrity chef
- 1973 - Chan Ho Park, Major League Baseball player
- 1975 - Ralf Schumacher, German race car driver
- 1977 - Richard Henderson, famous packaging engineer
- 1977 - Chris Maxwell, baseball player (New Mexico)
- 1978 - Owen Lafave, ex-husband of Debra Lafave
- 1979 - Matisyahu, Hasidic Jewish Reggae Rapper
- 1979 - Rick Gonzalez, Hispanic-American actor
- 1981 - Can Artam, Turkish racing driver
- 1981 - Matt Kirk, Canadian football Player
- 1981 - Karolina Sadalska, Polish kayaker
- 1982 - Dan Jacobs, American guitarist (Atreyu)
- 1982 - Andy Knowles, British musician (Franz Ferdinand)
- 1982 - Lizzy Caplan, American actress (Mean Girls, 2004)
- 1983 - Brendon James, British drummer (Thirteen Senses)
- 1983 - Marlin Jackson, American football player
- 1983 - Patrick Wolf, British musician
- 1983 - Cheryl Cole, British singer (Girls Aloud)
- 1984 - Fantasia Barrino, American singer
- 1984 - Gabriel Badilla, Costa Rican footballer
- 1985 - Rafal Blechacz, Polish classical pianist
- 1985 - Michael Phelps, American swimmer
- 1985 - Fabiana Vallejos, Argentine footballer
- 1985 - T-Pain, American rapper/singer
- 350 - Nepotianus, Roman usurper
- 1181 - Hugh de Kevelioc, English politician (b. 1147)
- 1364 - Arnost of Pardubice, Archbishop of Prague (b. 1297)
- 1538 - Charles of Egmond, Duke of Guelders (b. 1467)
- 1579 - Mehmed Pasha Sokolović, Turkish Janissary
- 1607 - Caesar Baronius, Italian cardinal and historian (b. 1538)
- 1660 - William Oughtred, English mathematician (b. 1575)
- 1666 - Alexander Brome, English poet (b. 1620)
- 1670 - Henrietta Anne Stuart, Princess of England, Scotland, and Ireland (b. 1644)
- 1704 - John Quelch, a pirate was hanged (b. 1665)
- 1709 - Edward Lhuyd, Welsh scientist (b. 1660)
- 1785 - James Oglethorpe, English general and founder of the state of Georgia (b. 1696)
- 1796 - Abraham Yates, American Continental Congressman (b. 1724)
- 1857 - Alcide d'Orbigny, French naturalist (b. 1802)
- 1882 - Charles J. Guiteau, American assassin of President James A. Garfield (b. 1841)
- 1890 - Samuel Parkman Tuckerman, American composer (b. 1819)
- 1919 - John Strutt, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1842)
- 1934 - Kurt von Schleicher, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1882)
- 1953 - Charles William Miller, father of football in Brazil (b. 1874)
- 1959 - José Vasconcelos, Mexican writer and politician (b. 1882)
- 1961 - Lee DeForest, American inventor (b. 1873)
- 1966 - Giuseppe Farina, Italian race car driver (b. 1906)
- 1971 - Herbert Biberman, Jewish American screenwriter and film director (b. 1900)
- 1971 - Crew of Soyuz 11
- 1974 - Vannevar Bush, American engineer and politician (b. 1890)
- 1976 - Firpo Marberry, baseball player (b. 1898)
- 1984 - Lillian Hellman, American playwright (b. 1905)
- 1993 - George "Spanky" McFarland, American actor (b. 1928)
- 1993 - Wong Ka Kui, Hong Kong singer (b. 1962)
- 1995 - Gale Gordon, American actor (b. 1906)
- 1995 - Georgi Beregovoi, Soviet cosmonaut (b. 1921)
- 1995 - Phyllis Hyman, American jazz vocalist (b. 1949)
- 1997 - Larry O'Day, wrestler (b. 1944)
- 2001 - Chet Atkins, American guitarist (b. 1924)
- 2001 - Joe Henderson, American jazz saxophonist (b. 1937)
- 2002 - Chico Xavier, popular medium in Brazil´s spiritism movement (b. 1910)
- 2003 - Buddy Hackett, American comic (b. 1924)
- 2003 - Robert McCloskey, American children's book writer and illustrator (b. 1915)
- 2006 - Robert Gernhardt, German satirist (b. 1937)
- 2007 - Sahib Singh Verma, Indian politician and former Chief Minister of Delhi (b. 1943)
Holidays and observances
120 Familypedia people were born on June 30
127 Familypedia people died on June 30
78 Familypedia people were first married on June 30