|Lamar County, Mississippi|
Lamar County Courthouse in Purvis, Mississippi
Location in the state of Mississippi
Mississippi's location in the U.S.
500.49 sq mi (1,296 km²)
497.07 sq mi (1,287 km²)
3.42 sq mi (9 km²), 0.68%
78/sq mi (30/km²)
Lamar County is a county located in the U.S. state of Mississippi. It is part of the Hattiesburg, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of 2010, the population was 55,658. Its county seat is Purvis.
Named for the post-Civil War Mississippi statesman Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, the county was carved out of Marion County to the west in 1904. It is largely a rural county, except for its northeast quarter, which is within the Hattiesburg metropolitan area.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 500.49 square miles (1,296.3 km2), of which 497.07 square miles (1,287.4 km2) (or 99.32%) is land and 3.42 square miles (8.9 km2) (or 0.68%) is water.
- Interstate 59
- U.S. Highway 11
- U.S. Highway 98
- Mississippi Highway 13
- Mississippi Highway 42
- Mississippi Highway 44
- Covington County (north)
- Forrest County (east)
- Pearl River County (south)
- Marion County (west)
- Jefferson Davis County (northwest)
|Jefferson Davis County||Covington County|
|Marion County||Forrest County|
Lamar County, Mississippi
|Pearl River County|
|MS Counties 1900-1990|
GeoHive - 2000 & 2010 statistics
As of the census of 2000, there were 39,070 people, 14,396 households, and 10,725 families residing in the county. The population density was 79 people per square mile (30/km²). There were 15,433 housing units at an average density of 31 per square mile (12/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 85.34% White, 12.90% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.65% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.64% from two or more races. 1.09% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 14,396 households out of which 38.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.60% were married couples living together, 11.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.50% were non-families. 20.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.00% under the age of 18, 10.90% from 18 to 24, 30.40% from 25 to 44, 21.00% from 45 to 64, and 9.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 93.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,628, and the median income for a family was $44,611. Males had a median income of $32,791 versus $22,260 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,849. About 9.70% of families and 13.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.30% of those under age 18 and 17.00% of those age 65 or over.
Lamar County has the fifth highest per capita income in the State of Mississippi.
Government and infrastructure
- Census-designated places
- Unincorporated places
- Hickory Hills Lake
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lamar County, Mississippi
- ^ "Subcounty population estimates: Mississippi" (CSV). 2006 Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-06-28. http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/files/SUB-EST2006_28.csv. Retrieved 2007-07-21.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Contact Us." South Mississippi State Hospital. Retrieved on November 1, 2010. "South Mississippi State Hospital 823 Highway 589 Purvis, MS 39475."
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lamar County, Mississippi. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|