|Lauderdale County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Mississippi's location in the U.S.
715.28 sq mi (1,853 km²)
703.51 sq mi (1,822 km²)
11.77 sq mi (30 km²), 1.65%
111/sq mi (43/km²)
Lauderdale County is a county located in the U.S. state of Mississippi. As of 2010, the population was 80,261. The county seat is Meridian. It is the largest county in the Meridian Micropolitan Statistical Area. Lauderdale County is named for colonel James Lauderdale, who was killed at the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 715.28 square miles (1,852.6 km2), of which 703.51 square miles (1,822.1 km2) (or 98.35%) is land and 11.77 square miles (30.5 km2) (or 1.65%) is water.
- Interstate 59
- Interstate 20
- U.S. Highway 11
- U.S. Highway 45
- U.S. Highway 80
- Mississippi Highway 19
- Mississippi Highway 39
- Kemper County (north)
- Sumter County, Alabama (east)
- Choctaw County, Alabama (southeast)
- Clarke County (south)
- Newton County (west)
|Newton County||Sumter County, Alabama|
Lauderdale County, Mississippi
|Clarke County||Choctaw County, Alabama|
|MS Counties 1900-1990|
GeoHive - 2000 & 2010 statistics
As of the census of 2000, there were 78,161 people, 29,990 households, and 20,573 families residing in the county. The population density was 111 people per square mile (43/km²). There were 33,418 housing units at an average density of 48 per square mile (18/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 60.15% White, 38.18% Black or African American, 0.18% Native American, 0.50% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. 1.14% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 29,990 households out of which 33.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.70% were married couples living together, 18.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.40% were non-families. 28.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.60% under the age of 18, 9.80% from 18 to 24, 28.00% from 25 to 44, 21.40% from 45 to 64, and 14.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,768, and the median income for a family was $37,581. Males had a median income of $31,069 versus $21,111 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,026. About 17.10% of families and 20.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.80% of those under age 18 and 18.80% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
- Census-designated places
- Meridian Station
- Unincorporated places
Lauderdale County is within the service area of the East Mississippi Community College system. The system offers classes in the Naval Air Station Meridian Extension in Meridian. Other academic institutions are Meridian Community College, University of Southern Mississippi School of Nursing (located inside Reed Hall building of Meridian Community College, and Mississippi State University Meridian Campus.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lauderdale County, Mississippi
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Private Prisons." Mississippi Department of Corrections. Retrieved on November 19, 2010.
- ^ "CATALOG 2007-2009." East Mississippi Community College. 3 (3/147). Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
- ^ "CATALOG 2007-2009." East Mississippi Community College. 10 (10/147). Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
- Lauderdale County, MS
- Meridian/Lauderdale County Tourism Bureau
- Laurerdale County Courthouse Pictures
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lauderdale County, Mississippi. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|