|March 30 in recent years
March 30 is the 89th day of the year (90th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 276 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 240 BC - 1st recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet.
- 1282 - The people of Sicily rebel against the Angevin king Charles I, in what becomes known as the Sicilian Vespers.
- 1296 - Edward I sacks Berwick-upon-Tweed, during armed conflict between Scotland and England.
- 1492 - Ferdinand and Isabella sign the Alhambra decree aimed at expelling all Jews from Spain unless they convert to Roman Catholicism.
- 1814 - Napoleonic Wars: Sixth Coalition forces march into Paris.
- 1822 - Florida Territory created in the United States.
- 1842 - Anesthesia is used for the first time in an operation by Dr. Crawford Long.
- 1844 - One of the most important battles of the Dominican War of Independence from Haiti takes place near the city of Santiago de los Caballeros.
- 1855 - Origins of the American Civil War: Bleeding Kansas - "Border Ruffians" from Missouri invade Kansas and force election of a pro-slavery legislature.
- 1856 - The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Crimean War.
- 1858 - Hymen Lipman patents a pencil with an attached eraser.
- 1863 - Danish prince Wilhelm Georg is chosen as King George of Greece.
- 1867 - Alaska is purchased for $7.2 million, about 2 cent/acre ($4.19/km²), by United States Secretary of State William H. Seward. The news media call this Seward's Folly.
- 1870 - Mississippi is readmitted to the Union following Reconstruction.
- 1885 - The Battle for Kushka triggers the Pandjeh Incident which nearly gives rise to war between the British Empire and Russian Empire.
- 1909 - The Queensboro Bridge opens, linking Manhattan & Queens.
- 1910 - Mississippi Legislature founded The University of Southern Mississippi.
- 1912 - Sultan Abdelhafid signs the Treaty of Fez, making Morocco a French protectorate.
- 1939 - The Heinkel He 100 fighter sets the world airspeed record of 463 mph.
- 1939 - First flight of the Australian C.A.C. CA-16 Wirraway.
- 1940 - Sino-Japanese War: Japan declares Nanking to be the capital of a new Chinese puppet government, nominally controlled by Wang Ching-wei.
- 1945 - World War II: Soviet Union forces invade Austria and take Vienna, Polish and Soviet forces liberate Gdańsk.
- 1945 - World War II: a defecting German pilot delivers a Messerschmitt Me 262A-1 to Americans.
- 1951 - Remington Rand delivers the first UNIVAC I computer to the United States Census Bureau.
- 1954 - Yonge Street subway line opens in Toronto. It is the first subway in Canada.
- 1961 - The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs is signed at New York.
- 1965 - Vietnam War: A car bomb explodes in front of the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, killing 22 and wounding 183 others.
- 1972 - Vietnam War: The Easter Offensive begins after North Vietnamese forces cross into the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) of South Vietnam.
- 1979 - Airey Neave, a British politician, is killed by a car bomb as he exits the Palace of Westminster. The Irish National Liberation Army claims responsibility.
- 1981 - President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, hotel by John Hinckley
- 1982 - Space Shuttle program: STS-3 Mission completed with the landing of Columbia at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
- 2006 - Marcos Pontes is the first Brazilian astronaut in space.
- 2006 - UK Terrorism Act 2006 becomes law.
- 1135 - Maimonides, Spanish rabbi and philosopher (d. 1204)
- 1326 - Ivan II of Russia, Grand Duke of Muscovy (d. 1359)
- 1432 - Mehmed II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1481)
- 1640 - John Trenchard, English politician (d. 1695)
- 1739 - Maria Josepha of Bavaria, Holy Roman Empire Empress (d. 1767)
- 1746 - Francisco Goya, Spanish painter (d. 1828)
- 1750 - John Stafford Smith, English composer (d. 1836)
- 1820 - Anna Sewell, British author (d. 1878)
- 1844 - Paul Verlaine, French poet (d. 1896)
- 1853 - Vincent van Gogh, Dutch painter (d. 1890)
- 1857 - Leon Charles Thevenin, French telegraph engineer (d. 1926)
- 1864 - Franz Oppenheimer, German sociologist (d. 1943)
- 1879 - Coen de Koning, Dutch ice skater (d. 1954)
- 1880 - Sean O'Casey, Irish dramatist (d. 1964)
- 1892 - Fortunato Depero, Italian artist (d. 1960)
- 1892 - Erhard Milch, German field marshal (d. 1972)
- 1894 - Sergey Ilyushin, Russian aerospace engineer (d. 1977)
- 1895 - Jean Giono, French author (d. 1970)
- 1899 - Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay, well known Bengali writer (d. 1970)
- 1902 - Brooke Astor, American philanthropist (d. 2007)
- 1902 - Ted Heath, British musician and band leader (d. 1969)
- 1903 - Countee Cullen, American poet (d. 1946)
- 1904 - Ripper Collins, baseball player (d. 1970)
- 1910 - Józef Marcinkiewicz, mathematician (d. 1940)
- 1913 - Marc Davis, American animator (d. 2000)
- 1913 - Richard Helms, American CIA director (d. 2002)
- 1913 - Frankie Laine, American singer (d. 2007)
- 1913 - Censu Tabone, President of Malta
- 1914 - Sonny Boy Williamson I, American musician (d. 1948)
- 1919 - McGeorge Bundy, American National Security Advisor (d. 1996)
- 1922 - Turhan Bey, Turkish actor
- 1923 - Milton Acorn, Canadian poet (d. 1986)
- 1926 - Ingvar Kamprad, Swedish entrepreneur
- 1926 - Werner Torkanowsky, German conductor (d. 1992)
- 1927 - Peter Marshall, American game show host
- 1928 - Robert Badinter, French politician
- 1929 - Richard Dysart, American actor
- 1930 - John Astin, American actor
- 1930 - Rolf Harris, Australian artist and entertainer
- 1932 - Ted Morgan, Swiss-born writer
- 1933 - Jean-Claude Brialy, French actor and director
- 1935 - Karl Berger, German musicologist and jazz vibraphone and piano player
- 1935 - Willie Galimore, American football player (d. 1964)
- 1937 - Warren Beatty, American actor and director
- 1940 - Jerry Lucas, American basketball player
- 1941 - Graeme Edge, British musician (Moody Blues)
- 1941 - Wasim Sajjad, President of Pakistan
- 1943 - Ken Forssi, American musician (Love) (d. 1998)
- 1945 - Eric Clapton, British guitarist/singer
- 1948 - Mervyn King, British economist
- 1949 - Lene Lovich, American singer
- 1949 - Naomi Sims, American fashion model and businesswoman
- 1949 - Liza Frulla, Quebec politician
- 1950 - Robbie Coltrane, Scottish actor and comedian
- 1951 - Yves Séguin, Quebec politician
- 1952 - Peter Knights, Australian footballer and coach
- 1955 - Randy VanWarmer, American singer, guitarist and songwriter (d. 2004)
- 1956 - Bill Butler, Scottish politician
- 1957 - Paul Reiser, American actor
- 1958 - Maurice LaMarche, Canadian voice actor
- 1959 - Peter Ellis, convicted child abuser
- 1959 - Sabine Meyer, German clarinetist
- 1961 - Doug Wickenheiser, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1999)
- 1963 - Eli-Eri Moura, Brazilian composer and conductor
- 1964 - Tracy Chapman, American singer
- 1964 - Ian Ziering, American actor
- 1964 - Dave Ellett, Canadian hockey player
- 1965 - Piers Morgan, British journalist
- 1966 - Joey Castillo, American drummer (Queens of the Stone Age)
- 1966 - Efstratios Grivas, Greek chess grandmaster and author
- 1967 - Hayashibara Megumi, Japanese voice actress and singer
- 1968 - Donna D'Errico, American actress and model
- 1968 - Celine Dion, Canadian singer
- 1970 - Secretariat, American racehorse (d. 1989)
- 1971 - Mark Consuelos, American actor
- 1972 - Mili Avital, Israeli-American actress
- 1973 - Jan Koller, Czech footballer
- 1975 - Bahar Soomekh, American actress
- 1976 - Mark McClelland, Northern Irish musician (Degrassi)
- 1976 - Ty Conklin, American ice hockey player
- 1976 - Obadele Thompson, Barbadian athlete
- 1978 - Chris Paterson, Scottish rugby player
- 1979 - Norah Jones, American singer and pianist
- 1979 - Simon Webbe, English singer
- 1980 - Paul Wall, American rapper
- 1980 - Ricardo Osorio, Mexican footballer
- 1980 - Yalin, Turkish singer and songwriter
- 1982 - Jason Dohring, American actor
- 1983 - Jérémie Aliadière, French footballer
- 1983 - Zach Gowen, American professional wrestler
- 1983 - Scott Moffatt, Canadian singer and songwriter
- 1983 - Hebe (Fuzhen) Tian, member of the Taiwanese girl-group S.H.E
- 1983 - Davis Romero, Panamanian baseball player
- 1984 - Anna Nalick, American singer and songwriter
- 1984 - Mario Ancic, Croatian tennis player
- 1986 - Sergio Ramos, Spanish footballer
- 1986 - Beni Arashiro, Japanese singer
- 1486 - Thomas Bourchier, Archbishop of Canterbury
- 1526 - Konrad Mutian, German humanist (b. 1471)
- 1540 - Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg, German statesman and Archbishop of Salzburg (b. 1469)
- 1559 - Adam Ries, German mathematician (b. 1492)
- 1587 - Ralph Sadler, English statesman (b. 1507)
- 1662 - François le Métel de Boisrobert, French poet (b. 1592)
- 1707 - Vauban, French architect (b. 1633)
- 1764 - Pietro Locatelli, Italian composer (b. 1695)
- 1783 - William Hunter, Scottish anatomist (b. 1718)
- 1804 - Victor-François, Marshal of France (b. 1718)
- 1840 - Beau Brummell, English celebrity and dandy (b. 1778)
- 1842 - Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun, French painter (b. 1755)
- 1879 - Thomas Couture, French painter and teacher (b. 1815)
- 1886 - Joseph-Alfred Mousseau, French Canadian politician (b. 1838)
- 1896 - Charilaos Trikoupis, seven times prime-minister of Greece (b. 1832)
- 1912 - Karl May, German author (b. 1842)
- 1925 - Rudolf Steiner, Austrian philosopher
- 1936 - Conchita Supervía, Spanish opera singer (b. 1895)
- 1943 - Jan Bytnar, Polish activist (b. 1921)
- 1943 - Maciej Aleksy Dawidowski, Polish activist (b. 1920)
- 1949 - Friedrich Bergius, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1884)
- 1950 - Léon Blum, French prime minister (b. 1872)
- 1959 - Daniil Andreev, Russian writer and mystic (b. 1906)
- 1965 - Philip Showalter Hench, American physician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1896)
- 1966 - Maxfield Parrish, American artist (b. 1870)
- 1967 - Jean Toomer, American writer (b. 1894)
- 1968 - Bobby Driscoll, American actor (b. 1937)
- 1970 - Heinrich Brüning, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1885)
- 1972 - Gabriel Heatter, American radio commentator (b. 1890)
- 1977 - Abdel Halim Hafez, Egyptian singer and actor (b. 1929)
- 1981 - DeWitt Wallace, American publisher (b. 1889)
- 1984 - Karl Rahner, German theologian (b. 1904)
- 1985 - Harold Peary, American actor and singer (heart attack) (b. 1908)
- 1986 - James Cagney, American actor (b. 1899)
- 1988 - Edgar Faure, French politician (b. 1908)
- 1992 - Manolis Andronikos, Greek archeologist, professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (b. 1919)
- 1999 - Gary Morton, American film and television producer (b. 1924)
- 2002 - Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Mother of the United Kingdom (b. 1900)
- 2003 - Michael Jeter, American actor (b. 1952)
- 2003 - Valentin Pavlov, Prime Minister of the Soviet Union (b. 1937)
- 2004 - Alistair Cooke, English-born journalist (b. 1908)
- 2004 - Hubert Gregg, British broadcaster (b. 1914)
- 2004 - Michael King, New Zealand historian (b. 1945)
- 2004 - Timi Yuro, American singer (b. 1940)
- 2005 - Emil Dimitrov, Bulgarian singer (b. 1940)
- 2005 - Robert Creeley, American poet (b. 1926)
- 2005 - Milton Green, American athlete (b. 1913)
- 2005 - Fred Korematsu, American civil rights activist (b. 1919)
- 2005 - O. V. Vijayan, Indian author and cartoonist (b. 1930)
- 2005 - Derrick Plourde, American drummer (b. 1971)
- 2006 - Red Hickey, American football coach (b. 1917)
Holidays and observances
109 Familypedia people were born on March 30
104 Familypedia people died on March 30
82 Familypedia people were first married on March 30