|May 30 in recent years
May 30 is the 150th day of the year (151st in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 215 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 1416 - The Council of Constance, called by the Emperor Sigismund, a supporter of Antipope John XXIII, burns Jerome of Prague following a trial for heresy.
- 1431 - Hundred Years' War: In Rouen, France, 19-year-old Joan of Arc burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal.
- 1434 - Hussite Wars (Bohemian Wars): Battle of Lipany - Effectively ending the war, Utraquist forces led by Diviš Bořek of Miletínek defeat and almost annihilated Taborite forces led by Prokop the Great.
- 1536 - King Henry VIII of England marries Jane Seymour, a lady-in-waiting to his first two wives.
- 1539 - In Florida, Hernando de Soto lands at Tampa Bay with 600 soldiers with the goal of finding gold.
- 1574 - Henry III becomes King of France.
- 1588 - The last ship of the Spanish Armada sets sail from Lisbon heading for the English Channel.
- 1635 - Thirty Years' War: Peace of Prague signed.
- 1806 - Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after the man had accused Jackson's wife of bigamy.
- 1814 - Napoleonic Wars: War of the Sixth Coalition - Treaty of Paris signed returning French borders to their 1792 extent.
- 1832 - The Rideau Canal in eastern Ontario is first opened.
- 1854 - The Kansas-Nebraska Act becomes law establishing the US territories of Nebraska and Kansas.
- 1868 - Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern "Memorial Day") observed in the United States for the first time (By "Commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic" John A. Logan's proclaimation on May 5).
- 1871 - The Paris Commune falls.
- 1876 - Ottoman sultan Abd-ul-Aziz is deposed and succeeded by his nephew Murat V.
- 1879 - New York City's Gilmores Garden is renamed Madison Square Garden by William Henry Vanderbilt and is opened to the public at 26th Street and Madison Avenue.
- 1879 - An F4 tornado strikes Irving, Kansas, killing 18 and injuring 60.
- 1883 - In New York City, a rumor that the Brooklyn Bridge is going to collapse causes a stampede which crushes twelve people.
- 1911 - At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race in his Marmon Wasp.
- 1913 - First Balkan War: Treaty of London signed ending the war. Albania becomes an independent nation.
- 1914 - New & then largest Cunard ocean liner RMS Aquitania, 45,647 tons, sails on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York City.
- 1917 - Alexander I becomes king of Greece.
- 1922 - In Washington, the Lincoln Memorial is dedicated.
- 1935 - Babe Ruth plays in his last baseball game, in the uniform of the Boston Braves.
- 1941 - World War II: Germany captures Crete.
- 1941 - World War II: Manolis Glezos and Apostolos Santas climb on the athenian Acropolis, tear down the nazi swastika and replace it with the Greek flag.
- 1942 - World War II: 1000 British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
- 1948 - A dike along the flooding Columbia River breaks, obliterating Vanport within minutes. Fifteen people die and tens of thousands are left homeless.
- 1953 - The Auckland Harbour Bridge was officially opened today in Auckland, New Zealand.
- 1956 - Composer Karlheinz Stockhausen premieres his piece Gesang der Jünglinge in Cologne.
- 1958 - Memorial Day: The remains of two unidentified American servicemen, killed in action during World War II and the Korean War, are buried at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1966 - Former Congolese Prime Minister Evariste Kimba and several other politicians are publicly executed in Kinshasa on the orders of President Joseph Mobutu.
- 1967 - At the Ascot Park in Gardena, daredevil Evel Knievel jumps his motorcycle over 16 cars lined-up in a row.
- 1967 - The Nigerian Eastern Region declares independence as the Republic of Biafra, sparking a civil war.
- 1969 - Riots on the Caribbean island of Curaçao
- 1971 - Mariner program: Mariner 9 launched to Map 70% of the surface and study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface of Mars.
- 1972 - The Angry Brigade goes on trial over a series of 25 bombings throughout Britain.
- 1972 - In Tel Aviv, members of the Japanese Red Army carry out the Lod Airport Massacre, killing 24 people and injuring 78 others.
- 1982 - Spain becomes the 16th member of NATO and the first nation to enter the alliance since West Germany's admission in 1955.
- 1989 - Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: The 33-foot high "Goddess of Democracy" statue is unveiled in Tiananmen Square by student demonstrators.
- 1998 - A magnitude 6.6 earthquake hits northern Afghanistan, killing up to 5,000.
- 1010 - Emperor Renzong of China (d. 1063)
- 1423 - Georg Purbach, German mathematician and astronomer (d. 1461)
- 1623 - John Egerton, English politician (d. 1686)
- 1653 - Claudia Felicitas of Austria, Empress consort of Germany (d. 1676)
- 1672 (O.S.) - Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia (d. 1725)
- 1713 - Princess Caroline Elizabeth of Great Britain (d. 1757)
- 1718 - Wills Hill, English politician (d. 1793)
- 1719 - Roger Newdigate, English politician (d. 1806)
- 1757 - Henry Addington, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1844)
- 1814 - Mikhail Bakunin, Russian anarchist (d. 1876)
- 1814 - Eugène Charles Catalan, Belgian mathematician (d. 1894)
- 1819 - William McMurdo, British army officer (d. 1894)
- 1820 - Pierre-Joseph-Olivier Chauveau, French Canadian politician (d. 1890)
- 1845 - King Amadeo I of Spain (d. 1890)
- 1858 - Siegfried Alkan, German composer (d. 1941)
- 1875 - Giovanni Gentile, Italian philosopher (d. 1944)
- 1878 - Mike Donlin, baseball player (d. 1933)
- 1879 - Colin Blythe, English cricketer (d. 1917)
- 1881 - Georg von Küchler, German field marshal (d. 1968)
- 1882 - Wyndham Halswelle, Scottish runner (d. 1915)
- 1886 - Randolph Bourne, American writer (d. 1918)
- 1895 - Maurice Tate, English cricketer (d. 1956)
- 1896 - Howard Hawks, American film director (d. 1977)
- 1899 - Irving Thalberg, American film producer (d. 1936)
- 1901 - Cornelia Otis Skinner, American writer and actress (d. 1979)
- 1902 - Stepin Fetchit, American dancer and actor (d. 1985)
- 1903 - Countee Cullen, American writer (d. 1946)
- 1906 - Bruno Gröning, German faith healer (d. 1959)
- 1907 - Elly Beinhorn, German pilot
- 1908 - Hannes Alfvén, Swedish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1995)
- 1908 - Mel Blanc, American voice actor (d. 1989)
- 1909 - Benny Goodman, American clarinetist and bandleader (d. 1986)
- 1910 - Ralph Metcalfe, American athlete (d. 1978)
- 1910 - Inge Meysel, German actress (d. 2004)
- 1912 - Julius Axelrod, American biochemist and Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2004)
- 1912 - Erich Bagge, German physicist
- 1912 - Hugh Griffith, Welsh actor (d. 1980)
- 1918 - Guadalupe "Pita" Amor, Mexican poet (d. 2000)
- 1918 - Bob Evans, American restaurateur (d. 2007)
- 1919 - René Barrientos, President of Bolivia (d. 1969)
- 1920 - Franklin Schaffner, American film director (d. 1989)
- 1922 - Hal Clement, American writer (d. 2003)
- 1926 - Christine Jorgensen, American transsexual activist (d. 1989)
- 1927 - Clint Walker, American actor
- 1928 - Agnès Varda, French director
- 1928 - Pro Hart, Australian artist (d. 2006)
- 1930 - Mark Birley, British nightclub owner (d. 2007)
- 1930 - Robert Ryman, American painter
- 1932 - Pauline Oliveros, American composer and accordionist
- 1934 - Aleksei Leonov, Russian cosmonaut
- 1934 - Alketas Panagoulias, Greek footballer and coach
- 1936 - Keir Dullea, American actor
- 1939 - Michael J. Pollard, American actor
- 1939 - Dieter Quester, Austrian racing driver
- 1940 - Gilles Villemure, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1943 - James Chaney, American civil rights activist (d. 1964)
- 1943 - Gale Sayers, American football player
- 1944 - Meredith MacRae, American actress (d. 2000)
- 1947 - Jocelyne Bourassa, French Canadian LPGA golfer
- 1948 - Michael Piller, American screenwriter (d. 2005)
- 1949 - P.J. Carlesimo, American basketball coach
- 1950 - Bertrand Delanoë, French politician
- 1950 - Paresh Rawal, Indian actor
- 1951 - Stephen Tobolowsky, American actor
- 1951 - Zdravko Čolić, Bosnian singer
- 1953 - Colm Meaney, Irish actor
- 1955 - Topper Headon, British musician (The Clash)
- 1956 - Robert F. Newmyer, American film producer (d. 2005)
- 1958 - Marie Fredriksson, Swedish singer and songwriter (Roxette)
- 1958 - Steve Israel, American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives (D-New York)
- 1959 - Frank Vanhecke, Belgian politician
- 1961 - Harry Enfield, British comedian
- 1962 - Kevin Eastman, American comic book creator
- 1962 - Tonya Pinkins, American actress
- 1964 - Wynonna Judd, American Country/Bluegrass Singer
- 1964 - Tom Morello, American guitarist (Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine)
- 1964 - Andrea Montermini, Italian racing driver
- 1966 - Stephen Malkmus, American musician (Pavement)
- 1967 - Tim Burgess, English singer (The Charlatans)
- 1968 - Zacarias Moussaoui, French citizen found guilty relating to September 11, 2001 attacks
- 1970 - Flora Chan, Hong Kong television actress
- 1970 - Ness Wadia, Indian industrialist
- 1971 - Idina Menzel, American actress and singer
- 1972 - Manny Ramírez, Dominican-born American baseball player
- 1972 - Soichiro Hoshi, Japanese seiyuu
- 1973 - Leigh Francis, British comedian
- 1974 - Cee-Lo, American musician
- 1974 - Big L, American rapper (d. 1999)
- 1974 - Konstantinos Chalkias, Greek footballer
- 1974 - Shin Ha-kyun, South Korean actor
- 1974 - David Wilkie, American ice hockey player
- 1975 - Andrew Farrell, English rugby league and union footballer
- 1976 - Radoslav Nesterovič, Slovenian basketball player
- 1976 - Magnus Norman, Swedish tennis player
- 1977 - Akwá, Angolan footballer
- 1977 - Rachael Stirling, British actress
- 1979 - Mike Bishai, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1979 - Kugimiya Rie, Japanese seiyuu (voice actress)
- 1980 - Steven Gerrard, English footballer
- 1981 - Devendra Banhart, American singer and songwriter
- 1981 - Gianmaria Bruni, Italian racing driver
- 1981 - Blake Bashoff, American actor
- 1982 - Eddie Griffin, American basketball player (d. 2007)
- 1984 - Matt Maguire, Australian rules footballer
- 1990 - Dean Collins, American Actor
- 1159 - Wladislaus II the Exile of Poland (b. 1105)
- 1252 - King Ferdinand III of Castile
- 1416 - Jerome of Prague, Czech theologian (executed) (b. 1379)
- 1431 - Joan of Arc, French heroine and saint (burned at the stake) (b. 1412)
- 1434 - Prokop the Great, Hussite general
- 1469 - Lope de Barrientos —a powerful bishop in Castile
- 1574 - King Charles IX of France (b. 1550)
- 1576 - Harada Naomasa, Japanese retainer and samurai
- 1593 - Christopher Marlowe, English playwright (b. 1564)
- 1640 - Peter Paul Rubens, Flemish painter (b. 1577)
- 1696 - Henry Capell, First Lord of the British Admiralty (b. 1638)
- 1718 - Arnold Joost van Keppel, Dutch favorite of William III of England (b. 1670)
- 1730 - Arabella Churchill, English mistress of James II of England (b. 1648)
- 1744 - Alexander Pope, English writer (b. 1688)
- 1770 - François Boucher, French painter (b. 1703)
- 1778 - Voltaire, French philosopher and author (b. 1694)
- 1865 - John Catron, United States Supreme Court Justice
- 1868 - Souji Okita, 1st Captain of the Shinsengumi (b. 1823
- 1901 - Victor D'Hondt, Belgian mathematician (b. 1841)
- 1912 - Wilbur Wright, aviation pioneer (Wright Brothers) (b. 1867)
- 1925 - Arthur Moeller van den Bruck, German historian (b. 1876)
- 1926 - Vladimir Steklov, Russian physicist (b. 1864)
- 1934 - Togo Heihachiro, Japanese admiral (b. 1848)
- 1939 - Floyd Roberts, Auto racer, killed during 1939 Indianapolis 500 (b. 1904)
- 1941 - Prajadhipok, Rama VII, king of Thailand (b. 1893)
- 1946 - Louis Slotin, Canadian Scientist at Los Alamos (b. 1910)
- 1947 - Georg Ritter von Trapp, World War I Austrian submarine commander (b. 1880)
- 1951 - Hermann Broch, Austrian author (b. 1886)
- 1953 - Dooley Wilson, American musician and actor (b. 1886)
- 1955 - Bill Vukovich, Auto racer, killed during 1955 Indianapolis 500 (b. 1918)
- 1960 - Boris Pasternak, Russian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (declined) (b. 1890)
- 1961 - Rafael Leónidas Trujillo, dictator of the Dominican Republic (b. 1891)
- 1964 - Leó Szilárd, Hungarian-born nuclear physicist (b. 1898)
- 1964 - Eddie Sachs and Dave MacDonald, American auto racers, killed during 1964 Indianapolis 500 (b. 1927)
- 1967 - Claude Rains, English actor (b. 1889)
- 1971 - Marcel Dupré, French organist and composer (b. 1886)
- 1975 - Steve Prefontaine, American runner (b. 1951)
- 1975 - Michel Simon, French actor (b. 1895)
- 1980 - Carl Radle, American bass guitarist (b. 1942)
- 1981 - Don Ashby, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1955)
- 1981 - Ziaur Rahman, President of Bangladesh (b. 1936)
- 1986 - Perry Ellis, American fashion designer (b. 1940)
- 1993 - Sun Ra, American musician (b. 1914)
- 1994 - Ezra Taft Benson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- 1994 - Marcel Bich, French industrialist (Société Bic) (b. 1914)
- 1995 - Ted Drake, former English footballer (b. 1912)
- 1995 - Bobby Stokes, former English footballer (b. 1951)
- 2000 - Tex Beneke, American bandleader, singer, and saxophone player (b. 1914)
- 2003 - Mickie Most, English record producer (b. 1938)
- 2005 - Tomasz Pacyński, Polish writer (b. 1958)
- 2006 - Shohei Imamura, Japanese film director (b. 1926)
- 2006 - Robert Sterling, American actor (b. 1917)
- 2006 - David Lloyd, New Zealand biologist (b. 1938)
- 2007 - Jean-Claude Brialy, French actor, director, screenwriter and author (b. 1933)
Holidays and observances
97 Familypedia people were born on May 30
138 Familypedia people died on May 30
96 Familypedia people were first married on May 30