|Motto: Where friendliness is a way of life|
|Township||Elk Grove, Wheeling|
|Area||10.37 sq mi (27 km²)|
|- land||10.34 sq mi (27 km²)|
|- water||0.03 sq mi (0 km²)|
|Density||5,310.5 / sq mi (2,050 / km²)|
|Mayor||Irvana K. Wilks|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Postal code||60056, 60057, 60058|
|Wikimedia Commons: Mount Prospect, Illinois|
Mount Prospect is a village in Elk Grove and Wheeling Townships in Cook County, Illinois, about 22 miles (35 km) northwest of downtown Chicago. As of the 2010 census, the village had a total population of 54,167.
Mount Prospect is located at (42.065427, -87.936217).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 10.37 square miles (26.9 km2), of which 10.34 square miles (26.8 km2) (or 99.71%) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.078 km2) (or 0.29%) is water. At 665 feet above sea level, Mount Prospect is a high point in the immediate area.
As of the census of 2010, there were 54,167 people, 21,836 housing units, and 14,544 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,310.5 people per square mile (2,050.4/km²) and the housing unit density was 2,140.8 per square mile (826.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 77% White, 11.7% Asian, 2.4% Black, 0.4% Native American, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 6.5% from other races, and 2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.5% of the population.
Out of the 21,836 housing units, 32.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.3% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.3% were non-families. 24.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the village the population was spread out with 25% age of 19 and under, 12% from 20 to 29, 14% from 30 to 39, 14% from 40 to 49, 14% from 50 to 59, and 21% who were 60 years of age or older. The median age was 39.7 years. The population consisted of 49.3% males and 50.7% females.
A census survey conducted between 2005 and 2007 estimate the current median income for a family to be $81,574. Males had a median income of $44,585 versus $32,218 for females. The per capita income for the village was $26,464. About 3.1% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.2% of those under age 18 and 3.7% of those age 65 or over.
In 2008, Mount Prospect was voted the best city in which to raise children.
Companies based in Mount Prospect include Cummins-Allison, NTN USA and Rauland-Borg.
According to the Village's 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|6||Village of Mount Prospect||306|
|8||Mount Prospect School District 57||298|
|9||Township High School District 214||250|
|10||Siemens Building Technologies||235|
Mount Prospect has a number of distinct and award winning school districts. It has multiple districts that serve the entire village. Central Mount Prospect is served by Mount Prospect School District 57. North (and somewhat east) Mount Prospect is served by River Trails School District 26. South (and somewhat west) Mount Prospect is served by Elk Grove Community Consolidated School District 59. A very small portion of northern Mount Prospect in its northernmost point is served by Buffalo Grove-Wheeling Community Consolidated District 21. A small part of north central Mount Prospect is also served by Arlington Heights School District 25. A small part of northwest Mount Prospect is served by Prospect Heights School District 23. Township High School District 214 serves Mount Prospect, served by multiple High Schools, all but Elk Grove High School and Buffalo Grove High School. Prospect High School is the only one located within the village. The two Catholic parochial schools (K-8) located within Mount Prospect are St. Raymond and St. Emily.
The schools that service Mount Prospect are:
Mount Prospect District 57
- Westbrook School for Young Learners (PK-1)
- Fairview Elementary School (2-5)
- Lions Park Elementary School (2-5)
- Lincoln Middle School (6-8)
River Trails District 26
- Euclid Elementary School (K-5)
- Indian Grove Elementary School (K-5)
- River Trails Middle School (6-8)
Elk Grove Community Consolidated District 59
- Robert Frost Elementary School (K-5)
- Friendship Junior High School (6-8) (Located in Des Plaines)
- Forest View Elementary School (K-5)
- John Jay Elementary School (K-5)
- Holmes Junior High School (6-8)
Arlington Heights School District 25
- Windsor Elementary School (K-5) (Located in Arlington Heights)
- Dryden Elementary School (K-5) (Located in Arlington Heights)
- South Middle School (6-8) (Located in Arlington Heights)
Prospect Heights School District 23
- Betsy Elementary School (K-2) (Located in Prospect Heights)
- Anne Sullivan Elementary School (3-5) (Located in Prospect Heights)
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Elementary School (K-5) (Located in Prospect Heights)
- MacArthur Middle School (6-8) (Located in Prospect Heights)
Buffalo Grove-Wheeling Community Consolidated District 21
- Robert Frost Elementary School (K-5)
- Oliver Holmes Middle School (6-8) (Located in Wheeling)
Township High School District 214
- Prospect High School (9-12)
- John Hersey High School (9-12)
- Rolling Meadows High School (9-12)
- Wheeling High School (9-12)
- St. Raymond School (K-8)
- St. Emily School (K-8)
- St. Paul Lutheran Church and School (K-8)
Mount Prospect is also home to one of the three campuses of ITT Technical Institute in Illinois.
Places of interest
- Mount Prospect Public Library
- Randhurst Village
- John Ankerberg American Christian evangelist.
- Ian Brennan, co-creator of Glee; Prospect High School alumnus
- Lee DeWyze, winner of American Idol Season 9; attended Prospect High School
- Brian Gregory, men's basketball coach at Georgia Tech
- Dave Kingman, baseball player, (Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, New York Mets); attended Prospect High School 
- Tom Lundstedt, baseball player, (Chicago Cubs, Minnesota Twins); attended Prospect High School 
- Jennifer Morrison, actress (House, Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness (Motion Picture - Winona Kirk)); attended Prospect High School
- Pari Pantazopoulos, professional soccer player (Chicago Fire); attended Prospect High School
- Ben Weasel, lead singer and guitarist of band Screeching Weasel
- Karen Zambos, clothing designer; attended Wheeling High School
- ^ "Village Board of Trustees". Village of Mount Prospect. http://www.mountprospect.org/government/board_of_trustees/trustees.html. Retrieved 2010-06-20.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/files/Gaz_places_17.txt. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-context=adp&-qr_name=ACS_2007_3YR_G00_DP3YR3&-ds_name=ACS_2007_3YR_G00_&-tree_id=3307&-redoLog=false&-_caller=geoselect&-geo_id=16000US1751089&-format=&-_lang=en
- ^ http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2008-11-07/the-best-places-to-raise-your-kidsbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice
- ^ Village of Mount Prospect 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- ^ jashow.org, About Dr. John Ankerberg
- ^ http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kingmda01.shtml
- ^ http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lundsto01.shtml
- Village of Mount Prospect official website
- "Encyclopedia of Chicago" Entry
- Mount Prospect Historical Society
- Mount Prospect, Illinois at the Open Directory Project
|Arlington Heights||Prospect Heights||Prospect Heights|
|Elk Grove Village||Des Plaines/Elk Grove Village||Des Plaines|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Mount Prospect, Illinois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|