|— County —|
|• Total||5,896 km2 (2,276 sq mi)|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 233 or (+40) 333|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-NT|
Neamţ (Romanian pronunciation: [ne̯amt͡s]) is a county (judeţ) of Romania, in the historic region of Moldavia, with the county seat at Piatra Neamț. It has three communes, Bicaz-Chei, Bicazu Ardelean and Dămuc in Transylvania.
In 2002, it had a population of 557,000 and a population density of 99/km².
This county has an area of 5,896 km².
The relief decreases from west to east. In the western part, there are mountains, the Eastern Carpathians, with heights over 1800 m and the impressive peak of Mount Ceahlău. Along the Bicaz River lies the stunning canyon of Cheile Bicazului. Construction of the Bicaz Dam in the 1950s on the Bistriţa River led to the formation of the Lake Bicaz (Lake Izvorul Muntelui), Romania's largest artificial lake.
On the western side, the lowest point, at about 160 m, is found along Siret River's valley.
- Iași County and Vaslui County in the East.
- Harghita County in the West.
- Suceava County in the North.
- Bacău County in the South.
County's main industries:
- Chemical industry;
- Mechanical parts;
- Food stuffs;
- Construction materials.
Neamţ county is known as the region with the most monasteries to be found per square kilometer in the world. The monumental church of Neamţ Monastery has been a model for Moldavian churches and monasteries. The Moldavian art style, of great originality and stylistic unity, was developed by blending Gothic elements with Byzantine motifs. There are lots of cultural and historical landmarks in Neamţ County. County's main tourist attractions:
- Agapia Monastery
- Bistrița Monastery
- Durău Monastery
- Horaița Monastery
- Neamț Monastery
- Pângăraţț Monastery
- Petru Vodă Monastery
- Războieni Monastery
- Secu Monastery
- Sihăstria Monastery
- Sihla Monastery
- Văratec Monastery
- Vânători-Neamț Natural Park
- Neamț Citadel in Târgu Neamț
- Ceahlău National Park
- Bicaz Canyon - "Cheile Bicazului"
- Durău Ski Resort
- Hanu Ancuței
Neamţ County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 78 communes
- Gheorghe Cartianu, professor, engineer
- Sergiu Celibidache, conductor
- Vasile Conta, philosopher
- Ion Creangă, writer
- Virgil Gheorghiu, writer
- Constantin Matasă, archaeologist
- Nicodim Munteanu, patriach
- Vasile Trăistariu, painter
- ^ The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia după etnie"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 şi 2002"
- ^ National Institute of Statistics, Geography, meteorology and environment, 2006
- neamt.ro - a website about Neamt county
- judetulneamt.ro - Neamt county map
- prefecturaneamt.ro - The Neamt Prefecture