|October 15 in recent years
October 15 is the 288th day of the year (289th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 77 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 533 - Byzantine general Belisarius makes his formal entry into Carthage, having conquered it from the Vandals.
- 1552 - Khanate of Kazan is conquered by troops of Ivan Grozny.
- 1582 - Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain, October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
- 1764 - Edward Gibbon observes a group of friars singing in the ruined Temple of Jupiter in Rome, which inspires him to begin work on The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
- 1815 - Napoleon I of France begins his exile on Saint Helena in the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1863 - American Civil War: The CSS H. L. Hunley, the first submarine to sink a ship, sinks during a test, killing its inventor, Horace L. Hunley.
- 1878 - The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- 1880 - Mexican soldiers kill Victorio, one of the greatest Apache military strategists.
- 1888 - The "From Hell" letter sent by Jack the Ripper is received by the investigators.
- 1894 - Alfred Dreyfus is arrested for spying - Dreyfus affair begins.
- 1904 - The Russian Baltic Fleet leaves Reval, Estonia for Port Arthur during the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1917 - World War I: At Vincennes outside of Paris, Dutch dancer Mata Hari is executed by firing squad for spying for Germany.
- 1928 - The airship, the Graf Zeppelin completed its first trans-Atlantic flight, landing at Lakehurst, USA.
- 1932 - Tata Airlines (later to become Air India) makes its first flight.
- 1934 - The Soviet Republic of China collapses when Chiang Kai-shek's National Revolutionary Army successfully encircle Ruijin, forcing the fleeing Communists to begin the Long March.
- 1939 - The New York Municipal Airport (later renamed La Guardia Airport) is dedicated.
- 1940 - "The Great Dictator", a satiric social commentary film by and starring Charlie Chaplin, is released.
- 1944 - The Arrow Cross Party (very similar to Hitler's NSDAP (Nazi party)) takes over the power in Hungary.
- 1945 - World War II: The former premier of Vichy France Pierre Laval is shot by a firing squad for treason.
- 1946 - Nuremberg Trials: Hermann Göring poisons himself the night before his execution.
- 1951 - Television sitcom I Love Lucy premieres.
- 1951 - Mexican chemist Luis E. Miramontes synthesized the first oral contraceptive
- 1953 - British nuclear test Totem 1 detonated at Emu Field, South Australia.
- 1965 - Vietnam War: The National Coordinating Committee to End the War in Vietnam stages the first public burning of a draft card in the United States to result in arrest under a new law.
- 1969 - Vietnam War: Hundreds of thousands of people take part in National Moratorium antiwar demonstrations across the United States.
- 1970 - Thirty-five construction workers are killed when a section of the new West Gate Bridge in Melbourne collapses.
- 1970 - Anwar Sadat becomes president of Egypt
- 1971 - The start of the 2500-year celebration of Iran, celebrating the birth of Persia.
- 1981 - Professional cheerleader Krazy George Henderson leads what is thought to be the first audience wave in Oakland.
- 1987 - The Great Storm of 1987 hits France and England.
- 1989 - Wayne Gretzky becomes the all-time leading points scorer in the NHL.
- 1990 - Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to lessen Cold War tensions and open up his nation.
- 1992 - In Russia, Andrei Chikatilo is found guilty of 53 serial murders.
- 1997 - The first supersonic land speed record is set by Andy Green in ThrustSSC (United Kingdom).
- 1997 - The Cassini probe launches from Cape Canaveral on its way to Saturn.
- 2001 - NASA's Galileo spacecraft passes within 112 miles of Jupiter's moon Io.
- 2003 - China launches Shenzhou 5, its first manned space mission.
- 2003 - The Staten Island Ferry boat Andrew J. Barberi collides with a pier at the St. George Ferry Terminal in Staten Island, killing 11 people and injuring 43.
- 2005 - Iraqi constitution ratification vote
- 2005 - Riot in Toledo breaks out during a National Socialist/Neo-Nazi protest; over 100 are arrested.
- 2007 - Sir Menzies Campbell resigns effective immediately as Leader of the Liberal Democrats in the United Kingdom.
- 70 BC - Virgil, Roman poet (d. 19 BC)
- 1471 - Konrad Mutian, German humanist (d. 1526)
- 1542 - Akbar, Jellaladin Mahommed, Mughal Emperor (d. 1605)
- 1608 - Evangelista Torricelli, Italian physicist (d. 1647)
- 1686 - Allan Ramsay, Scottish poet (d. 1758)
- 1701 - Marie-Marguerite d'Youville, first native Canadian canonized (d. 1771)
- 1711 - Elisabeth Teresa of Lorraine, queen of Sardinia (d. 1741)
- 1784 - Thomas Robert Bugeaud, Marshal of France and duke of Isly (d. 1849)
- 1814 - Mikhail Lermontov, Russian author (d. 1841)
- 1825 - Queen Marie of Prussia (d. 1889)
- 1829 - Asaph Hall, American astronomer (d. 1907)
- 1836 - James Tissot, French artist (d. 1902)
- 1840 - Honoré Mercier, politician and premier of Quebec (d. 1894)
- 1844 - Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (d. 1900)
- 1858 - John L. Sullivan, American boxer (d. 1918)
- 1872 - Wilhelm Miklas, Austrian president (d. 1956)
- 1874 - Prince Alfred of Edinburgh (d. 1899)
- 1878 - Paul Reynaud, French politician (d. 1966)
- 1879 - Jane Darwell, Academy Award-winning American actress (d. 1967)
- 1881 - P. G. Wodehouse, British novelist (d. 1975)
- 1882 - Charley O'Leary, American baseball player (d. 1941)
- 1884 - Arch Hoxsey, pioneer aviator (d. 1910)
- 1893 - King Carol II of Romania (d. 1953)
- 1894 - Moshe Sharett, second Prime Minister of Israel (d. 1965)
- 1898 - Boughera El Ouafi, Algerian athlete (d. 1951)
- 1900 - Mervyn LeRoy, American film director (d. 1987)
- 1905 - C. P. Snow, British writer (d. 1980)
- 1906 - Hiram Leong Fong, American politician (d. 2004)
- 1907 - Varian Fry, American journalist (d. 1967)
- 1908 - John Kenneth Galbraith, Canadian economist (d. 2006)
- 1909 - Robert Trout, American reporter (d. 2000)
- 1909 - Jesse Leonard Greenstein, American astronomer (d. 2002)
- 1915 - Yitzhak Shamir, Israeli politician
- 1917 - Jan Miner, American actress (d. 2004)
- 1917 - Arthur Schlesinger Jr., American historian and political commentator (d. 2007)
- 1920 - Mario Puzo, American novelist (d. 1999)
- 1920 - Henri Verneuil, French film director (d. 2002)
- 1922 - Agustina Bessa-Luís, Portuguese writer
- 1923 - Italo Calvino. Italian writer (d. 1985)
- 1924 - Lee Iacocca, American industrialist
- 1924 - Mark Lenard, American actor (d. 1996)
- 1924 - Marguerite Andersen, German writer
- 1925 - Mickey Baker, American guitarist (Mickey & Sylvia)
- 1926 - Michel Foucault, French philosopher (d. 1984)
- 1926 - Evan Hunter, American author (d. 2005)
- 1926 - Jean Peters, American actress (d. 2000)
- 1926 - Karl Richter, German conductor (d. 1981)
- 1930 - Fereydun M. Esfandiary, Iranian philosopher (d. 2000)
- 1931 - Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, President of India
- 1934 - N. Ramani, Indian flutist
- 1935 - Bobby Joe Morrow, American sprinter
- 1935 - Barry McGuire, American singer
- 1938 - Fela Kuti, Nigerian musician (d. 1997)
- 1938 - Marv Johnson, American singer (d. 1993)
- 1940 - Tommy Bishop, English rugby league player
- 1940 - Peter Doherty, Australian immunologist, Nobel laureate
- 1942 - Penny Marshall, American actress
- 1944 - Sali Berisha, President of Albania
- 1944 - David Trimble, Irish politician, Nobel laureate
- 1944 - Haim Saban, Egyptian-born American media proprietor
- 1945 - Jere Burns, American actor
- 1945 - Jim Palmer, American baseball player
- 1946 - Richard Carpenter, American musician (The Carpenters)
- 1948 - Chris de Burgh, Irish singer and songwriter
- 1953 - Tito Jackson, American musician
- 1953 - Larry Miller, American actor and comedian
- 1953 - Betsy Clifford, Canadian alpine skier
- 1954 - Peter Bakowski, Australian poet
- 1955 - Kulbir Bhaura, British field hockey player
- 1955 - Tanya Roberts, American actress
- 1957 - Mira Nair, Indian director
- 1957 - Stacy Peralta, American director
- 1959 - Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York
- 1959 - Emeril Lagasse, American chef
- 1959 - Todd Solondz, American film director
- 1961 - John Kenny, Irish sports broadcaster and journalist
- 1964 - Roberto Vittori, Italian astronaut
- 1966 - Jorge Campos, Mexican footballer
- 1968 - Jyrki 69, Finnish musician The 69 Eyes
- 1968 - Didier Deschamps, French football player
- 1969 - Vanessa Marcil, American actress
- 1969 - Dominic West, British actor
- 1969 - Vítor Baía, Portuguese footballer
- 1970 - Eric Benét, American singer
- 1971 - Andy Cole, British footballer
- 1971 - Jason Arhndt, American wrestler
- 1972 - Matt Keeslar, American actor
- 1972 - Sandra Kim, Belgian singer
- 1975 - Ginuwine, American singer
- 1975 - Glen Little, English footballer
- 1976 - Yoon Son-ha, South Korean actress and singer
- 1977 - Masato Kawabata, Japanese racing driver
- 1977 - Erin McKeown, American musician
- 1977 - David Trezeguet, French football player
- 1977 - Patricio Urrutia, Ecuadorian footballer
- 1978 - Devon Gummersall, American actor
- 1978 - Takeshi Morishima Japanese professional wrestler
- 1979 - Paul Robinson, English football player
- 1979 - Māris Verpakovskis, Latvian football player
- 1980 - Tom Boonen, Belgian cyclist
- 1980 - Siiri Nordin, Finnish singer (Killer)
- 1981 - Keyshia Cole, African American R&B singer
- 1981 - Elena Dementieva, Russian tennis player
- 1981 - Guo Jingjing, Chinese diver
- 1981 - Radoslav Židek, Slovak snowboarder
- 1982 - Paulini Curuenavuli, Fijian singer
- 1982 - Charline Labonté, French Canadian ice hockey goaltender
- 1983 - Stephy Tang, Hong Kong singer and actress
- 1985 - Walter López, Uruguayan footballer
- 1985 - Marcos Martinez Ucha, Spanish racing driver
- 1986 - Lee Donghae, Korean singer (a member of super junior)
- 1987 - Jesse Levine, American tennis player
- 1992 - Vincent Martella, American actor
- 2005 - Prince Christian of Denmark
- 412 - Theophilus, Patriarch of Alexandria
- 898 - Lambert
- 912 - Abdullah ibn Muhammad, Emir of Córdoba
- 1002 - Otto-Henry (b. 946)
- 1080 - Rudolf of Rheinfeld, Duke of Swabia
- 1326 - Walter de Stapledon, English bishop (b. 1261)
- 1389 - Pope Urban VI
- 1564 - Vesalius, Flemish anatomist (b. 1514)
- 1715 - Humphry Ditton, English mathematician (b. 1675)
- 1730 - Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, French explorer (b. 1658)
- 1788 - Samuel Greig, Scottish-Russian admiral (b. 1735)
- 1810 - Alfred Moore, American judge (b. 1755)
- 1811 - Nathaniel Dance-Holland, English painter (b. 1735)
- 1817 - Tadeusz Kościuszko, Polish and Lithuanian national hero (b. 1746)
- 1819 - Sergey Vyazmitinov, Russian general and statesman (b. 1744)
- 1820 - Karl Philipp Fürst zu Schwarzenberg, Austrian field marshal (b. 1771)
- 1837 - Ivan Dmitriev, Russian statesman and poet (b. 1760)
- 1880 - Victorio, Apache leader
- 1891 - Gilbert Arthur a Beckett, English writer (b. 1837)
- 1900 - Zdeněk Fibich, Czech composer (b. 1850)
- 1910 - Stanley Ketchel, boxer (murdered) (b. 1886)
- 1917 - Mata Hari, Dutch dancer and spy (b. 1876)
- 1918 - Shirdi Sai Baba, Indian guru (b. circa 1838)
- 1930 - Herbert Henry Dow, American chemical industrialist (b. 1866)
- 1934 - Raymond Poincaré, French statesman (b. 1860)
- 1945 - Pierre Laval, Prime Minister of Vichy France (executed) (b. 1883)
- 1946 - Hermann Göring, German air force commander (suicide) (b. 1893)
- 1948 - Edythe Chapman, American actress (b. 1863)
- 1959 - Lipót Fejér, Hungarian mathematician (b. 1880)
- 1960 - Clara Kimball Young, American actress (b. 1890)
- 1963 - Horton Smith. American golfer (b. 1908)
- 1964 - Cole Porter, American composer (b. 1891)
- 1976 - Carlo Gambino, American gangster (b. 1902)
- 1980 - Mikhail Lavrentyev, Russian physicist and mathematician (b. 1900)
- 1980 - Apostolos Nikolaidis, Greek footballer and volleyball player (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Philip Fotheringham-Parker, British racing driver (b. 1907)
- 1987 - Thomas Sankara, African revolutionary and leader of Burkina Faso (assassinated) (b. 1949)
- 1988 - Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji, English composer and pianist (b. 1892)
- 1994 - Sarah Kofman, French philosopher (b. 1934)
- 1995 - Marco Campos, Brazilian racing driver (b. 1976)
- 2000 - Konrad Emil Bloch, German-born biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine (b. 1912)
- 2001 - Zhang Xueliang, Chinese ruler of Manchuria (b. 1901)
- 2003 - Bertram N. Brockhouse, Canadian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1918)
- 2003 - Ben Metcalfe, Canadian environmental activist (b. 1919)
- 2005 - Jason Collier, American basketball player (b. 1977)
- 2005 - Matti Wuori, Finnish politician (b. 1945)
Holidays and observances
137 Familypedia people were born on October 15
118 Familypedia people died on October 15
96 Familypedia people were first married on October 15