Porbandar district (Gujarati: પોરબંદર જિલ્લો) is one of the 26 districts of Gujarat state in western India. The district covers an area of 2,295.35 km². It had a population of 536,835 of which 48.69% were urban as of 2001 census  This district was carved out of Junagadh District. It lies in the Kathiawar peninsula. Porbandar city is the administrative headquarters of this district. This district is surrounded by Jamnagar district in the north, Junagadh district in the south and the Arabian Sea in the west.
Porbandar is birthplace of Father of the Nation Mahatama Gandhi. Porbandar is also mentioned in the Mahabharata as the native place of Shri Krishna's childhood friend Sudama.
The major crops produced in district are cotton, groundnut, bajra, gram, wheat, tal and jowar.
- Cement, Cement Pipes
One cement factory is at Ranavav, outskirts of Porbandar and another oldest one in the city itself.
- Soda Ash
This factory is just outside the city and has its own Thermal Power Station and salt making area.
- Coal making
- Surahstra Chemical Limited.(Birla VXL Limited)
- Surahstra (Hathi) Cement Limited.
- D R Garment Pvt. Ltd.
- GeoSoft Consultancy Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Gangotri Dairy Products Pvt. Ltd.
According to the 2011 census Porbandar district has a population of 586,062, roughly equal to the nation of Solomon Islands or the US state of Wyoming. This gives it a ranking of 529th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 255 inhabitants per square kilometre (660 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 9.17 %. Porbandar has a sex ratio of 947 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 76.63 %.
Amongst the colleges in Porbandar city, Dr. Virambhai Godhaniya College, founded in 1988 and Maharshi Dayanand Science College affiliated to the Saurashtra University.
Chhaya, very near Porbandar, is the capital town of Jethwa Rajput. In this City Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul is prominent Education Institute. From K.G.P.G.Courses are available; social and educational services in the district are hallmark of achievements of the Gurukul. Shashtri Swami Shree HariPrakashdasji is the founder of this Gurukul. The Gurukul managed by totally dedicated Saints. Selfless service is the Motto of the Gurukul. The meaning of Gurukul is spreading the heritage and culture values.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869–1948) The pre-eminent political and ideological leader of India during the Indian independence movement. Born in Porbandar.
- Vijaygupta Maurya (1909–1992) Science writer. Born in Porbandar.
- ^ Census India Map
- ^ a b c d e f g "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Solomon Islands 571,890 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Wyoming 563,626"
- ^ Fischer, Louis (1954). "Gandhi:His life and message for the world".
|Arabian Sea||Junagadh district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Porbandar district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|