|Principality of Anhalt-Zerbst |
|State of the Holy Roman Empire|
18th century arms
|Historical era||Middle Ages|
|-||Partitioned from Anhalt||1252|
|-||Partitioned into A-Dessau and A-Köthen|
|-||Partitioned from Anhalt-Dessau|
|-||Annexed by A-Dessau||1796|
|-||Duchy of Anhalt reunited|
|1: In 1603, Anhalt-Zerbst lost territory to Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Bernburg, Anhalt-Plötzkau and Anhalt-Köthen.|
2: In 1667, Anhalt-Zerbst lost territory to create Anhalt-Mühlingen and Anhalt-Dornburg.
Anhalt-Zerbst was a principality located in Germany. It was established for the first time in 1252 following the partition of the principality of Anhalt. The capital of the state was located at Zerbst. Anhalt-Zerbst ceased to exist in 1396 when it was partitioned between Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Köthen.
It was recreated in 1544 when Anhalt-Dessau was partitioned. The second incarnation lost a lot of territory in 1603 when it was partitioned for a second time with some of its territory being given to Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Bernburg, Anhalt-Plötzkau and Anhalt-Köthen. Anhalt-Zerbst lost more of its territory in 1667 with Anhalt-Mühlingen and Anhalt-Dornburg being created. In 1796, the Principality of Anhalt-Zerbst came to an end with its territory being annexed by Anhalt-Dessau.
Princes of Anhalt-Zerbst
- Siegfried I 1252–1298
- Albert I 1298–1316
- Albert II 1316–1362
- Albert III 1359 (co-regent)
- Waldemar I 1316–1368 (co-regent)
- Johann II 1362–1382
- Waldemar II 1368–1371 (co-regent)
- Waldemar III 1382–1391 (co-regent)
- Sigismund I 1382–1396 (co-regent)
- Albert IV 1382–1396 (co-regent)
- Johann V 1544–1551
- Karl I 1551–1561
- Bernhard VII 1551–1570 (co-regent)
- Joachim Ernest 1551–1586 (co-regent, later sole ruler; he unified all the Anhalt lands); later, his sons divided again Anhalt.
- Rudolph 1603–1621
- Johann VI 1621–1667
- Augustus of Anhalt-Plötzkau regent 1621–1642
- Karl William 1667–1718
- Sophie Auguste of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp regent 1667–1674
- Johann August 1718–1742
- Johann Ludwig II 1742–1746
- Christian Augustus 1742–1747 (co-regent)
- Friedrich August 1747–1793
- Joanna Elisabeth of Holstein-Gottorp regent 1747–1752
- Sophie Auguste Fredericke (Empress Catherine II of Russia) 1793–1796 (only in Jever)
To Anhalt-Dessau 1796.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Principality of Anhalt-Zerbst. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|