Founders of Portsmouth
1638-Mar-07 : Supporters of Anne Hutchinson who signed the Portsmouth Compact, dated 7 March 1638 - 19 on list plus 4 more whose names were crossed out. The last four names on the list were crossed out, but these men nevertheless came to Portsmouth or Newport.
Full Text of the Portsmouth Compact:
The 7th Day of the First Month, 1638.We whose names are underwritten do hereby solemnly in the presence of Jehovah incorporate ourselves into a Bodie Politick and as He shall help, will submit our persons, lives and estates unto our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords, and to all those perfect and most absolute laws of His given in His Holy Word of truth, to be guided and judged thereby.
- William Coddington
- John Clarke
- William Hutchinson (1586-1641) - husband of Anne Marbury Hutchinson.
- John Coggeshall
- William Aspinwall
- Samuel Wilbore
- John Porter
- John Sanford (c1605-1653) - md Bridget Hutchinson, later 2nd Governor of this Rhode Island Colony, died while in office.
- Edward Hutchinson, Jr. (1613-1675), oldest son of William and Anne Hutchinson, returned to Boston
- Thomas Savage (1607-1682), - md Faith Hutchinson, returned to Boston
- William Dyer (1609-1672) -signed document as clerk for having written it, husband of Quacker martyr, Mary Barrett.
- William Freeborn
- Philip Shearman
- John Walker (1604-1647) -
- Richard Carder
- William Baulston
- Edward Hutchinson, Sr. (1607-), brother of William Hutchinson, returned to England
- Henry Bull (signed with a mark)
- Randall Holden
- Thomas Clarke - Name crossed out
- John Johnson - Name crossed out
- William Hall - Name crossed out
- John Brightman - Name crossed out