|Rio Blanco County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 25, 1889|
|Named for||White River|
3,222.91 sq mi (8,347 km²)
3,220.97 sq mi (8,342 km²)
1.94 sq mi (5 km²), 0.06%
2/sq mi (1/km²)
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Rio Blanco County is the sixth most extensive of the 64 counties of the State of Colorado of the United States. The county population was 5,986 at U.S. Census 2000. The name of the county is the Spanish language name for the White River which runs through it. The county seat is Meeker.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 3,222.91 square miles (8,347.3 km2), of which 3,220.97 square miles (8,342.3 km2) (or 99.94%) is land and 1.94 square miles (5.0 km2) (or 0.06%) is water.
- Moffat County, Colorado - north
- Routt County, Colorado - northeast, east
- Garfield County, Colorado - south
- Uintah County, Utah - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,986 people, 2,306 households, and 1,646 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 2,855 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.01% White, 0.18% Black or African American, 0.77% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 2.02% from other races, and 1.74% from two or more races. 4.94% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,306 households out of which 35.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.10% were married couples living together, 7.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.60% were non-families. 24.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.50% under the age of 18, 9.20% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 25.60% from 45 to 64, and 11.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,711, and the median income for a family was $44,425. Males had a median income of $38,125 versus $19,940 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,344. About 6.70% of families and 9.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.60% of those under age 18 and 10.40% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
National forests and wilderness
- Routt National Forest
- White River National Forest
- Flat Tops Wilderness
- Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway National Scenic Byway
- Flat Tops Trail Scenic Byway
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado counties
- Colorado municipalities
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Rio Blanco County, Colorado
- ^ "Annual County Population Estimates and Estimated Components of Change: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2006 (CO-EST2006-alldata)" (CSV). 2006 Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-03-22. http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/files/CO-EST2006-ALLDATA.csv. Retrieved 2007-05-16.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Rio Blanco County Government website
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
|Moffat County||Routt County|
|Uintah County, Utah||Routt County|
Rio Blanco County, Colorado
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Rio Blanco County, Colorado. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|