- 1 Full name
- 2 Name variations
- 3 Vital Statistics
- 4 Pedigree
- 5 Siblings
- 6 Spouse(s)
- 7 Offspring
- 8 Other relatives
- 9 Biography
- 10 Descendants
- 11 External links
- 12 Contributors
- 13 Sources
- 14 External links
Samuel Charles Chappuzeau
Samuel Charles Chappuzeau
Chapuzeau, Chapiseau, Chapuseau and many others
- Sex : Male
Samuel was the youngest of six or seven children. The others were
- Charles Chappuzeau (1608-1641)
- Pierre Chappuzeau (1612-)
- Marie Chappuzeau (1614-c1685)
- (Possibly) Joachime Chappuzeau born Montcerf 1618
- Daniel Chappuzeau (1620-c1685)
- Anne Chappuzeau (c1622-) married Joseph Martin 1642
Samuel probably had 12 children
Maria de la Serra or della Serraz (5 children)
Her first child, a son, is known to have been born before 1656, because he was left in Lyon with friends when Samuel & Maria moved to Amsterdam, but he is not named in the letters about him. He rejoined his parents in 1658.
- Laurent CHAPPUZEAU (c1654-1725) Source: Clockmaker records in Switzerland and Germany, and UK marriage records (Boyd's index). Laurent was watchmaker to the Elector of Hanover (Later George I of England).
- Christoph CHAPPUZEAU (1656-1734) Amsterdam, Netherlands Source: Amsterdam Archives and LDS. Christophe was Secretary to the Duke of Celle for many years, from 1676
- Henri Albert CHAPPUZEAU (1660-?) Leiden, Netherlands Source : LDS and other records. Albert Louis Chappuzeau may be the same person, or, more likely, may have been confused by Eggers with Albrecht Ludwig Chappuzeau, Dr Med, son of Christophe
- Lucrece Marie CHAPPUZEAU (1661-?1661) Leiden, Netherlands Source : LDS and other records
- Jean CHAPPUZEAU (1662-?) Paris, France Source: Eggers book and LDS site
Marie Trichot (7 children)
The families Chappuzeau de Beaugé and their descendants Chappuzeau de Viefvillers, were descended from Samuel's uncle Jehan.
His best-known work is Le Théâtre François, still the main description of 17th century French Drama. He also published a number of plays, a novel, a dictionary and several travel and geographical books. He wrote Tavernier's travel guides from his dictation. It is known that Molière took and reworked some of Samuel's plays to form the basis of his own work.
Author, Playwright and Teacher. Tutor to Prince William III of Orange 1659 to 1661.
Many descendants are known in Germany and Chile, where the Chappuzeau name still occurs, and also in UK, France, Netherlands, Canada, US and Australia.
These are all descended either from Christoph (Germany and Chile) or from Eve.
It almost certain that Jacob Chappuzeau, (aka Iakov Shapizo), a Captain in the Russian Fleet, was also a descendant, but this is not yet proven. Probably son of Laurent.
There seems to be no-one in France still carrying the Chappuzeau name, at least in that spelling.
A full list of known descendants can be found on one of the links below.
Pavane, a descendant in UK
In our days some of part of the family CHAPPUZEAU lives in CHILE (South America).
I´m Javier CHAPPUZEAU a Chilean Navy Officer.
If you want to know more about us, just send me a e-mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org
H.K. Eggers, Das altfranzösische Geschlecht Chappuzeau, 1880 (updated 1968 by Curt Chappuzeau)
F Meinel, 1908 Dissertation "Samuel Chappuzeau 1625-1701" University of Leipzig
Dr. W. Gaade, article in 'De Nederlandsche Leeuw' in 1954
Amsterdam Archive (gemeentearchief.amsterdam.nl), where his name is mistranscribed as Chappureau
LDS = The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family Search
Boyd's Marriage Index, UK