|September 29 in recent years
September 29 is the 272nd day of the year (273rd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 93 days remaining until the end of the year.
- 522 BC - Darius I of Persia kills the Magian usurper Gaumâta, securing his hold as king of the Persian Empire.
- 480 BC - Battle of Salamis: The Greek fleet under Themistokles, defeats the Persian fleet under Xerxes I.
- 61 BC - Pompey the Great celebrates his third triumph, for victories over the pirates and the end of the Mithridatic Wars on his 45th birthday.
- 1066 - William the Conqueror invades England.
- 1364 - Battle of Auray: English forces defeat French at Brittany; end of the Breton War of Succession.
- 1567 - The second War of Religion in France breaks out.
- 1567 - At a dinner, the Duke of Alba arrests the Count of Egmont and the Count of Hoorn for treason.
- 1650 - Henry Robinson opens his Office of Addresses and Encounters - the first historically documented dating service - in Threadneedle Street, London.
- 1789 - The U.S. War Department first establishes a regular army with a strength of several hundred men.
- 1789 - The first U.S. Congress adjourns.
- 1829 - The Metropolitan Police of London, also known as the Met, is founded.
- 1848 - Battle of Pákozd: Hungarian forces defeat Croats at Pákozd; the first battle of the War of Independence.
- 1850 - The Roman Catholic hierarchy is re-established in England and Wales by Pope Pius IX.
- 1864 - American Civil War: The Battle of Chaffin's Farm is fought.
- 1885 - The first practical public electric tramway in the world was opened in Blackpool, England.
- 1907 - The cornerstone is laid at Washington National Cathedral in the U.S. capital.
- 1911 - Italy declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 1918 - The Hindenburg Line is broken by Allied forces during World War I. Bulgaria signed an armistice.
- 1924 - Plutarco Elías Calles is proclaimed President of Mexico.
- 1941 - Holocaust in Kiev, Ukraine: German Einsatzgruppe C starts Babi Yar massacre. According to the Einsatzgruppen Operational Situation Report No. 101, at least 33,771 Jews from Kiev and its suburbs were killed at Babi Yar on September 29 - 30, 1941.
- 1943 - U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marshal Pietro Badoglio sign an armistice aboard the British ship HMS Nelson off the shore of Malta.
- 1954 - The convention establishing CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is signed.
- 1954 - Major League Baseball: Willie Mays of the then New York Giants makes "The Catch" at The Polo Grounds in game one of the World Series.
- 1957 - 20 MCi (740 petabecquerels) of radioactive material is released in an explosion at the Soviet Mayak nuclear plant at Chelyabinsk.
- 1960 - Nikita Khrushchev, leader of Soviet Union, disorders a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly with a number of angry outbursts.
- 1962 - Alouette 1, the first Canadian satellite, is launched.
- 1963 - The second period of the Second Vatican Council opens.
- 1964 - The Argentine comic strip Mafalda is published for the first time.
- 1965 - The NSA memorial lists ten agents lost on this date.
- 1971 - Oman joins the Arab League.
- 1972 - Sino-Japanese relations: Japan establishes diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China after breaking official ties with the Republic of China.
- 1975 - WGPR in Detroit, Michigan, becomes the world's first black-owned-and-operated television station.
- 1975 - Sharon Dahlonega Raiford Bush becomes American television's first African-American weathercaster.
- 1979 - Pope John Paul II became the first pontiff to set foot on Irish soil with his pastoral visit to the Republic of Ireland.
- 1982 - Tylenol Crisis of 1982 began when the first of seven individuals died in metropolitan Chicago.
- 1988 - NASA resumes space shuttle flights, grounded after the Challenger disaster, with STS-26.
- 106 BC - Pompey the Great, consul of Rome (d. 48 BC)
- 1240 - Margaret of England, Queen consort of England, (d. 1275)
- 1321 - John of Artois, French soldier (d. 1387)
- 1328 - Joan of Kent, wife of Edward (d. 1385)
- 1388 - Thomas of Lancaster, son of Henry IV of England (d. 1421)
- 1511 - Miguel Servet, Spanish humanist (d. 1553)
- 1547 - Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish author (d. 1616)
- 1548 - William V (d. 1626)
- 1561 - Adriaan van Roomen, Flemish mathematician (d. 1615)
- 1571 - Caravaggio, Italian artist (d. 1610)
- 1636 - Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury (d. 1715)
- 1639 - Lord William Russell, English politician (d. 1683)
- 1640 - Antoine Coysevox, French sculptor (d. 1720)
- 1678 - Adrien-Maurice, French soldier (d. 1766)
- 1691 - Richard Challoner, English Catholic prelate (d. 1781)
- 1703 - François Boucher, French painter (d. 1770)
- 1725 - Robert Clive, British general and statesman (d. 1774)
- 1758 - Horatio Nelson, British admiral (d. 1805)
- 1766 - Charlotte, German queen (d. 1828)
- 1786 - Guadalupe Victoria, 1st President of Mexico (d. 1843)
- 1803 - Jacques Charles François Sturm, French mathematician (d. 1850)
- 1803 - Mercator Cooper, American sea captain (d. 1872)
- 1808 - Henry Bennett, American politician (d. 1868)
- 1810 - Elizabeth Gaskell, British novelist (d. 1865)
- 1842 - Louis J. Weichmann, chief witness in the trial of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (d. 1902)
- 1843 - Mikhail Skobelev, Russian general (d. 1882)
- 1853 - Princess Thyra, daughter of Christian IX of Denmark (d. 1933)
- 1863 - Hugo Haase, German politician and jurist (d. 1919)
- 1864 - Alexandra Kitchin, British model for Lewis Carroll (d. 1925)
- 1864 - Miguel de Unamuno, Spanish writer and philosopher (d. 1936)
- 1881 - Ludwig von Mises, Austrian Economist
- 1895 - J.B. Rhine, American parapsychologist (d. 1980)
- 1895 - Roscoe Turner, American aviator and racer (d. 1970)
- 1897 - Herbert Agar, American journalist and historian (d. 1980)
- 1898 - Trofim Lysenko, Stalinist biologist (d. 1976)
- 1901 - Enrico Fermi, Italian physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1954)
- 1900 - Miguel Alemán Valdés, President of Mexico (d. 1983)
- 1901 - Lanza del Vasto, Italian philosopher and activist (d. 1981)
- 1904 - Greer Garson, British actress (d. 1996)
- 1907 - Gene Autry, American actor and businessman (d. 1998)
- 1907 - George W. Jenkins, American businessman (d. 1996)
- 1908 - Eddie Tolan, American athlete (d. 1967)
- 1910 - Virginia Bruce, American actress (d. 1982)
- 1912 - Michelangelo Antonioni, Italian film director (d. 2007)
- 1913 - Trevor Howard, English actor (d. 1988)
- 1913 - Stanley Kramer, American film director (d. 2001)
- 1915 - Vincent DeDomenico, American entrepreneur (d. 2007)
- 1915 - Brenda Marshall, American film actress (d. 1992)
- 1920 - Peter D. Mitchell, English chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1922 - Lizabeth Scott, American actress
- 1923 - Stan Berenstain, American children's author (d. 2005)
- 1924 - Steve Forrest, American actor
- 1930 - Colin Dexter, British author of Inspector Morse novels
- 1931 - Anita Ekberg, Swedish actress
- 1931 - James Watson Cronin, American nuclear physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1932 - Robert Benton, American screenwriter and director
- 1932 - Mehmood, Indian actor (d. 2004)
- 1934 - Lance Gibbs, Guyanese West Indies cricketer
- 1935 - Jerry Lee Lewis, American musician
- 1936 - Silvio Berlusconi, former Prime Minister of Italy
- 1938 - Wim Kok, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- 1939 - Tommy Boyce, American songwriter
- 1939 - Molly Haskell, American film critic
- 1939 - Larry Linville, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1940 - Nicola Di Bari, Italian singer
- 1941 - Fred West, British serial killer (d. 1995)
- 1942 - Madeline Kahn, American actress (d. 1999)
- 1942 - Felice Gimondi, Italian cyclist
- 1942 - Ian McShane, British actor
- 1942 - Bill Nelson, American politician
- 1942 - Jean-Luc Ponty, French jazz violinist
- 1942 - Steve Tesich, Serbian screenwriter (d. 1996)
- 1943 - Mohammad Khatami, former President of Iran
- 1943 - Gary Boyd Roberts, American genealogist
- 1943 - Lech Wałęsa, President of Poland, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
- 1944 - Mike Post, American composer
- 1945 - Kyriakos Sfetsas, Greek composer
- 1947 - Martin Ferrero, American actor
- 1948 - Bryant Gumbel, American television personality
- 1948 - Mark Farner, American guitarist Grand Funk
- 1948 - Theo Jörgensmann, German jazz clarinetist
- 1949 - George Dalaras, Greek singer
- 1951 - Michelle Bachelet, President of Chile
- 1951 - Andrés Caicedo, Colombian writer (d. 1977)
- 1951 - Maureen Caird, Australian hurdler
- 1951 - Mike Enriquez, Philippine broadcaster
- 1952 - Gabor Csupo, Hungarian-born animator
- 1952 - Max Sandlin, American politician
- 1953 - Warren Cromartie, American baseball player
- 1953 - Drake Hogestyn, American actor
- 1953 - Jean-Claude Lauzon, Quebec film director (d. 1997)
- 1956 - Sebastian Coe, British athlete
- 1957 - Andrew Dice Clay, American comedian and actor
- 1957 - Sokratis Malamas, Greek singer and composer
- 1960 - Alan McGee, British music industry mogul and musician
- 1961 - Stephanie Miller, American comedian
- 1962 - Roger Bart, American actor
- 1962 - Al Pitrelli, American musician, guitarist
- 1963 - Dave Andreychuk, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1963 - Les Claypool, American bassist (Primus)
- 1966 - Jill Whelan, American actress
- 1967 - Brett Anderson, British musician/singer (Suede, The Tears)
- 1968 - Patrick Burns, American television presenter
- 1968 - Samir Soni, Indian film actor
- 1969 - Erika Eleniak, American actress and Playboy Playmate
- 1969 - Aleks Syntek, Mexican singer
- 1970 - Yoshihiro Tajiri, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1970 - Natasha Gregson Wagner, American actress
- 1970 - Emily Lloyd, British actress
- 1971 - Sibel Tüzün, Turkish singer
- 1971 - Mackenzie Crook, British actor and comedian
- 1972 - Robert Webb, British actor, comedian, and writer
- 1972 - Oliver Gavin, British racing car driver
- 1973 - Joe Hulbig, American ice hockey player
- 1973 - Athanasios Michalopoulos, Greek volleyball player
- 1973 - Scout Niblett, British singer/songwriter
- 1974 - Brian Ash, American film producer
- 1974 - Alexis Cruz, American actor
- 1975 - Albert Celades, Spanish football player
- 1976 - Andriy Shevchenko, Ukrainian football player
- 1976 - Darren Byfield, English football player
- 1976 - Oscar Sevilla, Spanish cyclist
- 1977 - Won Bin, South Korean actor
- 1977 - Wade Brookbank, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1977 - Debelah Morgan, American R&B singer
- 1977 - Jake Westbrook, American baseball player
- 1978 - Kurt Nilsen, Norwegian singer
- 1978 - Mohini Bhardwaj, American gymnast
- 1978 - Gunner McGrath, American guitarist (Much the Same)
- 1979 - Shelley Duncan, American Baseball Player
- 1979 - Takumi Beppu, Japanese cyclist
- 1980 - Dallas Green, Canadian musician (Alexisonfire,City and Colour)
- 1980 - Zachary Levi, American actor
- 1981 - Siarhei Rutenka, Belarusian handball player
- 1982 - Ariana Jollee, American pornographic actress
- 1982 - Rob Smith - Irish musician and songwriter
- 1984 - Per Mertesacker, German football player
- 1986 - Benoit Pouliot, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1986 - Mark Fraser, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1364 - Charles
- 1560 - King Gustav I of Sweden (b. 1496)
- 1637 - Lorenzo Ruiz, Filipino saint
- 1642 - René Goupil, French Catholic missionary, one of Canadian Martyrs (b. 1608)
- 1703 - Charles de Saint-Évremond, French soldier (b. 1610)
- 1800 - Michael Denis, Austrian poet (b. 1729)
- 1804 - Michael Hillegas, first Treasurer of the United States (b. 1728)
- 1833 - King Ferdinand VII of Spain (b. 1784)
- 1887 - Bernhard von Langenbeck, German surgeon (b. 1810)
- 1889 - Louis Faidherbe, French general (b. 1818)
- 1900 - Samuel Fenton Cary, congressman, prohibitionist (b. 1814)
- 1902 - William Topaz McGonagall, British poet (b. 1825)
- 1902 - Émile Zola, French writer (b. 1840)
- 1908 - Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, Brazilian writer (b. 1839)
- 1925 - Léon Bourgeois, French statesman, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (b. 1851)
- 1927 - Willem Einthoven, Dutch inventor, Nobel laureate (b. 1860)
- 1927 - Arthur Achleitner, German writer (b. 1858)
- 1930 - Ilya Yefimovich Repin, Russian painter (b. 1844)
- 1937 - Ray Ewry, American athlete (b. 1873)
- 1952 - John Cobb, British racing driver (b. 1899)
- 1967 - Carson McCullers, American author (b. 1917)
- 1970 - Edward Everett Horton, American actor (b. 1886)
- 1973 - W. H. Auden, English poet (b. 1907)
- 1975 - Casey Stengel, baseball player and manager (b. 1890)
- 1976 - Wadi Ayoub, Greco-Roman professional wrestler, (b. 1927)
- 1981 - Bill Shankly, Scottish football manager (b. 1913)
- 1982 - Monty Stratton, baseball player (b. 1912)
- 1987 - Henry Ford II, president of Ford Motor Company (b. 1917)
- 1988 - Charles Addams, American cartoonist (b. 1912)
- 1989 - Gussie Busch, American brewing magnate (b. 1899)
- 1994 - Cheb Hasni, Algerian singer (b. 1968)
- 1996 - Leslie Crowther, British comedian (b. 1933)
- 1997 - Roy Lichtenstein, American artist (b. 1923)
- 1998 - Jared High, victim of bullying and suicide (b. 1985)
- 1998 - Tom Bradley, Mayor of Los Angeles (b. 1917)
- 2001 - Nguyễn Văn Thiệu, President of South Vietnam (b. 1923)
- 2004 - Richard Sainct, French motorcycle rally rider (b. 1970)
- 2005 - Austin Leslie, American chef, the "Godfather of Fried Chicken" (b. 1934)
- 2006 - Jan Werner Danielsen, Norwegian singer (b. 1976)
- 2006 - Khalique Ibrahim Khalique, Pakistani journalist and Urdu poet and critic (b. 1926)
- 2006 - Louis-Albert Cardinal Vachon, French Canadian Catholic archbishop of Quebec (b. 1912)
- 2007 - Lois Maxwell, Canadian actress (b. 1927)
Holidays and observances
124 Familypedia people were born on September 29
112 Familypedia people died on September 29
86 Familypedia people were first married on September 29