Sir Stanley Unwin was born 19 December 1884 in Handen Road, Lee, Greater London, England, United Kingdom to Edward Unwin (1840-1933) and Elizabeth Spicer (1841-1921) and died 13 October 1968 England, United Kingdom of unspecified causes. He married Alice Mary Storr (1883-1971) 19 December 1914 in London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom.
|Offspring of Sir Stanley Unwin and Alice Mary Storr (1883-1971)|
|Elizabeth Spicer Unwin (1916-1916)|
|David Storr Unwin (1918-2010)|
|Ruth Severn Unwin (1920-1998)|
|Rayner Stephens Unwin (1925-2000)||23 December 1925 Hampstead, Greater London, England, United Kingdom||23 November 2000 Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom (Hospice of St Francis)||Carol Margaret Curwen (1924-2012)|
Sir Stanley Unwin, KCMG (19 December 1884 – 13 October 1968) was a British publisher, founder of the George Allen and Unwin Ltd UK house in 1914. This published serious and sometimes controversial authors like Bertrand Russell and Mahatma Gandhi.
In 1936, J. R. R. Tolkien submitted The Hobbit for publication and Unwin paid his ten-year-old son Rayner Unwin a shilling to write a report on the manuscript. Rayner's favourable response prompted Unwin to publish the book. Once the book became a success, Unwin asked Tolkien for a sequel, which eventually became The Lord of the Rings. Unwin died in 1968 and was honoured with a Blue Plaque at his former home.
- ^ "Obituaries: Ursula Moray Williams". The Independent (London, UK: INM). 7 November 2006. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/ursula-moray-williams-423290.html. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- ^ Plimmer, Charlotte and Denis (21 October 2015). "JRR Tolkien: 'Film my books? Its easier to film the Odyssey'". The Daily Telegraph (London, UK: TMG). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/authors/tolkien-interview-its-easier-to-film-the-odyssey/. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- Denniston, Robin (January 2008) . "Unwin, Sir Stanley (1884–1968)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/36614. Retrieved 11 January 2008.
- Works by or about Stanley Unwin in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- New General Catalog of Old Books and Authors
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Stanley Unwin (publisher). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|