|— Municipality —|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Franc Weerwind (D66)|
|• Total||63.05 km2 (24.34 sq mi)|
|• Land||44.78 km2 (17.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||18.27 km2 (7.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|Population (May 2013)|
|• Density||1,499/km2 (3,880/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postcode||1950–1951, 1970–1992, 2070–2082|
|Area code||023, 0251, 0255|
On the north side of the North Sea Canal, in IJmuiden, there is a major steel plant, Tata Steel IJmuiden, formerly known as Koninklijke Hoogovens. The headquarters of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding Maatschappij is located in IJmuiden.
The Kennemerstrand beach on the south side of the canal is at the end of the Kennemerboulevard, which runs south of the Seaport Marina.
To the south is the beach of Bloemendaal aan Zee. In between is a nude beach.
The municipality of Velsen consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts:
- on the north of the North Sea Canal:
- Velsen-Noord, and a part of IJmuiden (Corus),
- on the south of the North Sea Canal:
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Velsen, June 2015
In Velsen, there are the following connections across the North Sea Canal:
- A railway tunnel between the railway stations of Driehuis and Beverwijk.
- Road tunnels, from north to south:
- Wijker Tunnel
- Velser Tunnel next to the railway tunnel.
- A ferry 
- A road across the lock complex
- Railway stations: Driehuis, Santpoort Noord, Santpoort Zuid
The municipal council of Velsen consists of 33 seats, which are divided now (2010) as follows:
- PvdA - 5 seats
- VVD - 5 seats
- VL - 5 seats
- D66V - 5 seats
- LGV - 4 seats
- CDA - 3 seats
- GL - 2 seats
- SP - 2 seats
- CU - 1 seat
- independent member - 1 seat
The ruins of a Roman naval base at Velsen are believed to be ancient Flevum, which is listed as Phleoum, Romanized to Phleum, in Ptolemy (2.10).
Velsen is twinned with the port city of Galle in southern Sri Lanka and city of Bergisch Gladbach in the west of Germany.
- ^ "Burgemeester F.M. Weerwind [Mayor F.M. Weerwind]" (in Dutch). Gemeente Velsen. http://www.velsen.nl/Bestuur-Organisatie/College-van-BW/Burgemeester-F.M.-Weerwind.htm. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- ^ "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten [Key figures for neighbourhoods]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 2 July 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ^ "Postcodetool for 1971EN" (in Dutch). Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland. Het Waterschapshuis. http://www.ahn.nl/postcodetool. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- ^ "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand [Population growth; regions per month]" (in Dutch). CBS Statline. CBS. 24 June 2013. http://statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/publication/?DM=SLNL&PA=37230NED&D1=17-18&D2=101-619,621,624-632&D3=l&LA=EN&HDR=T&STB=G1,G2&VW=T. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- ^ www.connexxion.nl
- ^ www.connexxion.nl
|Bloemendaal, Haarlem||Haarlemmerliede en Spaarnwoude|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Velsen. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|